Re: Hydrogen and Solar Energy Question

  • sushik
    Message 1 of 22 , Nov 16, 2002
      --- In energyresources@y..., Ron Patterson <readyourdarwin@y...>
      wrote:
      > Oliver, of all the problem with converting sunlight to hydrogen,
      > I believe water would be the very least of them. Huge rivers lace
      > the land, any one most any one of them would be able to supply
      > enough water for the operation.

      Hmmm, maybe. The number I came up with (based on the numbers from
      earlier in this thread) was 10E12 l/yr that, if entirely
      electrolysed, would provide the equivalent amount of H2,
      energy-wise, that we currently use in oil (that was my reading of
      all the numbers)...

      Soooo, based on that number, I get a water requirement roughly equal
      to 5% of the flow of the Mississippi, which seems pretty significant
      to me (10E12 liters represents about 19 days flow of the Mississippi
      on average).

      Now, I'm really just interested in this because it seems to be one
      more relevant question in whether or not a "hydrogen economy" is
      feasible; I don't think it is, but this is just another line of
      thought that seems important in explaining why. I think it's
      unlikely that we could use hydrogen in the same relative quantities
      as we do oil now, so perhaps it's a strawman argument, but if
      water is where we plan to get hydrogen from in such a world, I
      think it's important to understand whether this is possible. Given
      the numbers I think providing enough water for such an
      endeavour will be a serious engineering problem, especially given
      the amount of fresh water that we are using for other important
      things.

      Oh well. I'll find something else to dwell on now...

      Cheers
      Oliver
    • Eric Thurston
      Message 2 of 22 , Nov 17, 2002
        --- In energyresources@y..., "mduffin3" <murrayv@m...> wrote:
        > --- In energyresources@y..., Ron Patterson <readyourdarwin@y...>
        > wrote:
        > > That would be larger than the three states of Alabama, Georgia
        and
        > > Mississippi combined. Of course it would actually be a lot more
        > than that
        > > because
        >
        > "originally published in 1994 from Voigt 1984". Are you guys stuck
        in
        > a zero progress time warp. The area needed to provide x quads of
        > electricity has been published by members of this group several
        > times, and it keeps getting smaller as conversion efficiencies get
        > better. Murray

        Since 1994 the amount of energy consumed has also gone up. Besides,
        the areas we are talking about are so vast as to make the concept
        laughable.
        Eric Thurston
      • S Morningthunder
        Message 3 of 22 , Nov 19, 2002
          I have decided to give away some of the Dinosaur blood symbols to
          members of this group. After all, if I am the only one wearing it, then
          there can be no functioning as a symbol expressing a group
          consciousness.

          If you think you would wear a dinosaur blood pendant, a small glass tube
          partially filled with crude oil and heat forged unto a handmade 14 kt
          gold finding, check out http://greatchange.org/dinosaurblood/index.html,
          choose a pendant design and let me know. Obviously, I am limited as to
          how many I can give away, so please be honest with yourself and me as to
          whether you would wear it. They go well with a piece of leather
          shoelace, tied with two overhand knots, each about the other end, so
          that the knots can be pulled against one another.

          (I know that we macho types may at first balk at wearing a piece of gold
          jewelry, but this tries to be a precise symbol of what we are focussing
          on in this group.)

          --
          A vortex from the future unto the present, centers of spreading change
          upon a spherical surface, old wealth is mercifully swallowed to become

          Steve Morningthunder

          mthunder@...
          http://greatchange.org
        • S Morningthunder
          Message 4 of 22 , Nov 19, 2002

            I made my effort at http://greatchange.org/bb-electricity.html which
            includes a link to "entire energy cost" where the additional energy that
            it would take is treated.

            --
            I once assumed that humankind had matured beyond the dangers of its own
            ignorance, that progress was bound to be essentially unbroken and

            Steve Morningthunder

            mthunder@...
            http://greatchange.org
          • Ron Patterson
            Message 5 of 22 , Nov 20, 2002
              Steve Morningthunder wrote:
              >>>I made my effort at
              http://greatchange.org/bb-electricity.html which
              includes a link to "entire energy cost" where the additional
              energy thatit would take is treated.<<<

              Steve, loved your math on the cost of converting electricity to
              hydrogen but have you not left out a step, the delivery system?
              Hydrogen, when it is generated is at ambient temperature and
              pressure. In this form it is absolutely useless to us.

              We have two choices, either to liquefy it then truck it to where
              it is to be consumed or to pressurize it and then pipe it to a
              distribution point where it can then be placed in pressurized
              tank trucks and delivered to the service stations.

              To liquefy hydrogen is an extremely energy intensive process.
              Long trains of cascading cooling systems would be needed. Then
              the hydrogen would have to be allowed to boil off continuously
              until it is consumed. I think this system would be out of the
              question. That leaves us with the pressurized system.

              But I have no idea how much energy this would take or even how
              high you can pressurize hydrogen? I have read that this would
              severly limit the range of hydrogen powered automobils because
              of the limited amount of pressurized hydrogen they could carry.
              And even if they used fuel cells, the hydrogen would still have
              to be delivered to the cell recharging plants. But I have
              absolutely no doubt that this pressurizing and delivery process
              would add considerably to the cost of hydrogen as fuel.

              Does anyone else?

              Ron Patterson

              =====
              - So let us recognize human mysticism for what it really is: the rusting Excalibur of our species, an old and vital streak of genetic madness that once rescued our kind from the brink of extinction, took us to the stars, and will run us through with due dispatch when our little play is done. Ultimately, I have no real argument with mysticism, nor even with the fear and ignorance on which it feeds. The frail, the fearful, and the foolish�these are my kind of animals.
              Reg Morrison, last paragraph in �The Spirit in the Gene�.

              http://webhosting.yahoo.com
            • b
              Message 6 of 22 , Nov 20, 2002
                Hi Steve,

                SM> I have decided to give away some of the Dinosaur blood symbols to
                SM> members of this group. Obviously, I am limited as to
                SM> how many I can give away, so please be honest with yourself and me as to
                SM> whether you would wear it.

                Great idea. I wouldn't wear one myself but a
                bottle of the stuff (crude oil) sitting on my desk may carry the same
                philosophical weight.

                How does one get their hands on crude oil locally?

                (My dad used to have a furniture conditioner that was labeled as crude
                oil, but I don't know if that was a brand name or the real McCoy)
                --
                Cheers,

                mailto:b@...
              • jfbaldauf
                Message 7 of 22 , Nov 20, 2002
                  Steve-

                  Thank you for the kind offer of dino-blood pendants. I would love
                  to have- and pledge to wear- the "square wire" model shown on
                  the web page. I would be even more comfortable with the idea
                  of accepting one pendant as your kind gift, and of purchasing a
                  second pendant as a gift for my wife, and maybe a few more as
                  presents for simpatico friends and family. I couldn't find a price
                  list and hope that I will be able to work something out that is ok
                  with you. I am honored by the gift, and I believe strongly that art
                  and artists should be honored with material support for their work.

                  Thanks again,

                  Jim Baldauf
                  Austin

                  > I have decided to give away some of the Dinosaur blood symbols to
                  > members of this group. After all, if I am the only one wearing it, then
                  > there can be no functioning as a symbol expressing a group
                  > consciousness.
                  >
                  > If you think you would wear a dinosaur blood pendant, a small glass tube
                  > partially filled with crude oil and heat forged unto a handmade 14 kt
                  > gold finding, check out http://greatchange.org/dinosaurblood/index.html,
                  > choose a pendant design and let me know. Obviously, I am limited as to
                  > how many I can give away, so please be honest with yourself and me as to
                  > whether you would wear it. They go well with a piece of leather
                  > shoelace, tied with two overhand knots, each about the other end, so
                  > that the knots can be pulled against one another.
                  >
                  > (I know that we macho types may at first balk at wearing a piece of gold
                  > jewelry, but this tries to be a precise symbol of what we are focussing
                  > on in this group.)
                  >
                  > --
                  > A vortex from the future unto the present, centers of spreading change
                  > upon a spherical surface, old wealth is mercifully swallowed to become
                  > the new.
                  >
                  > Steve Morningthunder
                  >
                  > mthunder@...
                  > http://greatchange.org

                  > Drop me (Tom Robertson) a note at t1r@...

                • S Morningthunder
                  Message 8 of 22 , Nov 20, 2002

                    I've got an acrylic paperweight on my desk that contains a drop shaped
                    20 ml of crude oil, which was a promotional item made by PEMEX that
                    inspired me to try and do the same, but the effort wound up becoming
                    jewelry instead. I couldn't contract a paperweight for under $20, and
                    worked toward mastering the technique, but haven't gotten it yet.

                    The jewelry, though, is more "beared upon the chest before the world".

                    > How does one get their hands on crude oil locally?

                    It was a real bitch for me. I finally found someone who knew someone
                    who worked in a Mexican oil refinery, and bought it from them, at some
                    $1300 per barrel, although I don't have that much. However, at the rate
                    its going I think my ten gallons will last for some 100,000 years.

                    You might try driving through west texas and buying it directly from a
                    stripper owner. That is what I was going to do if I failed in Mexico.
                    Or perhaps "Thompson's reference" would provide a lead.

                    --
                    The harsh times approach. It is the lack of preparation which fills me
                    with concern and anxiety, for we assume that we shall gather wood and

                    Steve Morningthunder

                    mthunder@...
                    http://greatchange.org
                  • S Morningthunder
                    Message 9 of 22 , Nov 20, 2002

                      No, I didn't leave it out.

                      "And, this is before taking into consideration the entire energy cost.
                      It goes back to our dinosaur blood spooner. You've got to build the
                      additional electricity and hydrogen generation plants, the cars, keep
                      the roads up, mine the minerals, and build a distribution system for the
                      hydrogen, plus keep all those people who build it alive and sheltered
                      before you get to the net eMergy, before you have something that the
                      rest of society can work with."

                      There is a link at "entire energy cost" that takes you to a much better
                      treatment of the theme than I might come up with.

                      --
                      A wall of infinite dimension stands before the present course of human
                      evolution. It is the wise finitude of the Earth and its resources.

                      Steve Morningthunder

                      mthunder@...
                      http://greatchange.org
                    • Jacob Lund Fisker
                      Message 10 of 22 , Nov 21, 2002
                        On Wed, Nov 20, 2002 at 05:52:09AM -0800, Ron Patterson wrote:

                        > But I have no idea how much energy this would take or even how
                        > high you can pressurize hydrogen? I have read that this would

                        For an isothermal process the energy (barring friction etc.) is
                        just

                        NkT ln(V_end/V_start)

                        or

                        nRT ln(V_end/V_start)

                        k is Boltzmann's constant, R is the gas constant. N is the number
                        of H2 molecules, n is their concentration. V are the volumes.

                        As the process is isothermal you just divide by T to get the entropy
                        increase.

                        Caveats: Industrially one may not have the time to ensure a reversible
                        process - this will increase entropy generation, but not energy
                        requirements. However, the lack of a large cold reservoir in turn will
                        probably require some cooling increasing energy requirements, and entropy
                        generation for the heat engine which does the cooling.

                        --
                        Jacob Lund Fisker
                        PGP-key:0xF94C6234 at www.keyserver.net
                        http://quasar.physik.unibas.ch/~fisker/401/oil/oil.html
                      • Andrew MacKillop
                        Message 11 of 22 , Nov 21, 2002
                          DINOSAURS

                          Does any member of this group have articles, information, views or comments
                          about DINOSAURS and their relation to Fossil Energy Civilization ?
                          Those ole Sauriens can hardly be symbols of 'awareness', but how come they
                          got to be cult image/icons in the space of maybe 15 years? Is this a Dark
                          Bond between Fossil Energy Citizenry and the geological age that made our
                          wonderful world possible? Or good marketing by Spielberg & Co?

                          Please contact me if you have ideas

                          A McKillop
                        • Jack Dingler
                          Message 12 of 22 , Nov 21, 2002
                            Would there really be so great a philosophical or symbolic difference
                            between using crude and refined oil? If so, what would it be?

                            Jack Dingler

                            > > Great idea. I wouldn't wear one myself but a
                            > > bottle of the stuff (crude oil) sitting on my desk may carry
                            > > the same philosophical weight.
                            >
                            > I've got an acrylic paperweight on my desk that contains a drop shaped
                            > 20 ml of crude oil, which was a promotional item made by PEMEX that
                            > inspired me to try and do the same, but the effort wound up becoming
                            > jewelry instead. I couldn't contract a paperweight for under $20, and
                            > worked toward mastering the technique, but haven't gotten it yet.
                            >
                            > The jewelry, though, is more "beared upon the chest before the world".
                            >

                            > > How does one get their hands on crude oil locally?
                            > >
                            > It was a real bitch for me. I finally found someone who knew someone
                            > who worked in a Mexican oil refinery, and bought it from them, at some
                            > $1300 per barrel, although I don't have that much. However, at the rate
                            > its going I think my ten gallons will last for some 100,000 years.
                            >
                            > You might try driving through west texas and buying it directly from a
                            > stripper owner. That is what I was going to do if I failed in Mexico.
                            > Or perhaps "Thompson's reference" would provide a lead.
                            >
                            > --
                            > The harsh times approach. It is the lack of preparation which fills me
                            > with concern and anxiety, for we assume that we shall gather wood and
                            > slay game when the wind is white with winter.
                            >
                            > Steve Morningthunder
                            >
                            > mthunder@g...
                            > http://greatchange.org
                          • b
                            Message 13 of 22 , Nov 21, 2002
                              Hi S,

                              >> How does one get their hands on crude oil locally?
                              >>
                              SM> It was a real bitch for me. I finally found someone who knew someone
                              SM> who worked in a Mexican oil refinery, and bought it from them, at some
                              SM> $1300 per barrel, although I don't have that much. However, at the rate
                              SM> its going I think my ten gallons will last for some 100,000 years.

                              See my request to BP educational services posted earlier