Re: Hydrogen and Solar Energy Question

  • sushik
    Message 1 of 22 , Nov 16, 2002
      --- In energyresources@y..., Ron Patterson <readyourdarwin@y...>
      wrote:
      > That would be larger than the three states of Alabama, Georgia and
      > Mississippi combined. Of course it would actually be a lot more
      > than that because you have to leave service areas in between the
      > panels. They have to be cleaned periodically because of dust and
      > bird droppings. So it would probably take about twice that much.
      > Around 300,000 square miles or about 200 million acres. That is a
      > lot of solar panels.

      I'm interested in the water requirements for this. How much water
      would this require and where would it come from? Using the numbers
      from the earlier post I come up with something like 10E12 l/yr, but
      given the lack of water in the sunniest spots, I'm interested to
      know what the proposed solutions are.

      Presumably seawater could be used though it it likely would require
      more water than the theoretical minimum, plus the resulting brine
      (high in various salts) would need to be disposed of (hopefully back
      in the sea). However water is retrieved the energy costs of bringing
      it in and pumping it out have to be kept to a minimum... Never
      heard this issue being addressed.

      Cheers
      Oliver
    • Ron Patterson
      Message 2 of 22 , Nov 16, 2002
        Oliver, of all the problem with converting sunlight to hydrogen, I believe
        water would be the very least of them. Huge rivers lace the land, any one
        most any one of them would be able to supply enough water for the
        operation.

        Ron Patterson

        --- sushik <oliver_in_van@...> wrote:
        > I'm interested in the water requirements for this. How much water
        > would this require and where would it come from? Using the numbers
        > from the earlier post I come up with something like 10E12 l/yr, but
        > given the lack of water in the sunniest spots, I'm interested to
        > know what the proposed solutions are.
        >
        > Presumably seawater could be used though it it likely would require
        > more water than the theoretical minimum, plus the resulting brine
        > (high in various salts) would need to be disposed of (hopefully back
        > in the sea). However water is retrieved the energy costs of bringing
        > it in and pumping it out have to be kept to a minimum... Never
        > heard this issue being addressed.
        >
        > Cheers
        > Oliver

        > Drop me (Tom Robertson) a note at t1r@...
        >
        > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
        > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        =====
        - Mass movements can rise and spread without belief in a god, but
        never without belief in a devil..... Every difficulty and failure within
        the movement is the work of the devil, and every success is a
        triumph over his evil plotting.
        Eric Hoffer, The True Believer: Thoughts on the Nature of Mass Movements

        http://webhosting.yahoo.com
      • John Goss
        Message 3 of 22 , Nov 16, 2002
          Personally I'd prefer to get rid of Texas rather than Alabama, Georgia and
          Mississippi, though it is a tough choice. The world will benefit whichever
          way we go.
          Message 4 of 22 , Nov 16, 2002
            wrote:
            > That would be larger than the three states of Alabama, Georgia and
            > Mississippi combined. Of course it would actually be a lot more
            than that
            > because

            "originally published in 1994 from Voigt 1984". Are you guys stuck in
            a zero progress time warp. The area needed to provide x quads of
            electricity has been published by members of this group several
            times, and it keeps getting smaller as conversion efficiencies get
            better. Murray
          • Jack Dingler
            Message 5 of 22 , Nov 16, 2002
              Water would leave a film, cutting efficiency. An ammonia based cleaner
              like Windex would probably be used.

              Jack Dingler

              --- In energyresources@y..., "sushik" <oliver_in_van@h...> wrote:
              > --- In energyresources@y..., Ron Patterson <readyourdarwin@y...>
              > wrote:
              > > That would be larger than the three states of Alabama, Georgia and
              > > Mississippi combined. Of course it would actually be a lot more
              > > than that because you have to leave service areas in between the
              > > panels. They have to be cleaned periodically because of dust and
              > > bird droppings. So it would probably take about twice that much.
              > > Around 300,000 square miles or about 200 million acres. That is a
              > > lot of solar panels.
              >
              > I'm interested in the water requirements for this. How much water
              > would this require and where would it come from? Using the numbers
              > from the earlier post I come up with something like 10E12 l/yr, but
              > given the lack of water in the sunniest spots, I'm interested to
              > know what the proposed solutions are.
              >
              > Presumably seawater could be used though it it likely would require
              > more water than the theoretical minimum, plus the resulting brine
              > (high in various salts) would need to be disposed of (hopefully back
              > in the sea). However water is retrieved the energy costs of bringing
              > it in and pumping it out have to be kept to a minimum... Never
              > heard this issue being addressed.
              >
              > Cheers
              > Oliver
            • sushik
              Message 6 of 22 , Nov 16, 2002
                wrote:
                > Oliver, of all the problem with converting sunlight to hydrogen,
                > I believe water would be the very least of them. Huge rivers lace
                > the land, any one most any one of them would be able to supply
                > enough water for the operation.

                Hmmm, maybe. The number I came up with (based on the numbers from
                earlier in this thread) was 10E12 l/yr that, if entirely
                electrolysed, would provide the equivalent amount of H2,
                energy-wise, that we currently use in oil (that was my reading of
                all the numbers)...

                Soooo, based on that number, I get a water requirement roughly equal
                to 5% of the flow of the Mississippi, which seems pretty significant
                to me (10E12 liters represents about 19 days flow of the Mississippi
                on average).

                Now, I'm really just interested in this because it seems to be one
                more relevant question in whether or not a "hydrogen economy" is
                feasible; I don't think it is, but this is just another line of
                thought that seems important in explaining why. I think it's
                unlikely that we could use hydrogen in the same relative quantities
                as we do oil now, so perhaps it's a strawman argument, but if
                water is where we plan to get hydrogen from in such a world, I
                think it's important to understand whether this is possible. Given
                the numbers I think providing enough water for such an
                endeavour will be a serious engineering problem, especially given
                the amount of fresh water that we are using for other important
                things.

                Oh well. I'll find something else to dwell on now...

                Cheers
                Oliver
              • Eric Thurston
                Message 7 of 22 , Nov 17, 2002
                  --- In energyresources@y..., "mduffin3" <murrayv@m...> wrote:
                  > --- In energyresources@y..., Ron Patterson <readyourdarwin@y...>
                  > wrote:
                  > > That would be larger than the three states of Alabama, Georgia
                  and
                  > > Mississippi combined. Of course it would actually be a lot more
                  > than that
                  > > because
                  >
                  > "originally published in 1994 from Voigt 1984". Are you guys stuck
                  in
                  > a zero progress time warp. The area needed to provide x quads of
                  > electricity has been published by members of this group several
                  > times, and it keeps getting smaller as conversion efficiencies get
                  > better. Murray

                  Since 1994 the amount of energy consumed has also gone up. Besides,
                  the areas we are talking about are so vast as to make the concept
                  laughable.
                  Eric Thurston
                • S Morningthunder
                  Message 8 of 22 , Nov 19, 2002
                    I have decided to give away some of the Dinosaur blood symbols to
                    members of this group. After all, if I am the only one wearing it, then
                    there can be no functioning as a symbol expressing a group
                    consciousness.

                    If you think you would wear a dinosaur blood pendant, a small glass tube
                    partially filled with crude oil and heat forged unto a handmade 14 kt
                    gold finding, check out http://greatchange.org/dinosaurblood/index.html,
                    choose a pendant design and let me know. Obviously, I am limited as to
                    how many I can give away, so please be honest with yourself and me as to
                    whether you would wear it. They go well with a piece of leather
                    shoelace, tied with two overhand knots, each about the other end, so
                    that the knots can be pulled against one another.

                    (I know that we macho types may at first balk at wearing a piece of gold
                    jewelry, but this tries to be a precise symbol of what we are focussing
                    on in this group.)

                    --
                    A vortex from the future unto the present, centers of spreading change
                    upon a spherical surface, old wealth is mercifully swallowed to become

                    Steve Morningthunder

                    mthunder@...
                    http://greatchange.org
                  • S Morningthunder
                    Message 9 of 22 , Nov 19, 2002

                      I made my effort at http://greatchange.org/bb-electricity.html which
                      includes a link to "entire energy cost" where the additional energy that
                      it would take is treated.

                      --
                      I once assumed that humankind had matured beyond the dangers of its own
                      ignorance, that progress was bound to be essentially unbroken and

                      Steve Morningthunder

                      mthunder@...
                      http://greatchange.org
                    • Ron Patterson
                      Message 10 of 22 , Nov 20, 2002
                        Steve Morningthunder wrote:
                        >>>I made my effort at
                        http://greatchange.org/bb-electricity.html which
                        includes a link to "entire energy cost" where the additional
                        energy thatit would take is treated.<<<

                        Steve, loved your math on the cost of converting electricity to
                        hydrogen but have you not left out a step, the delivery system?
                        Hydrogen, when it is generated is at ambient temperature and
                        pressure. In this form it is absolutely useless to us.

                        We have two choices, either to liquefy it then truck it to where
                        it is to be consumed or to pressurize it and then pipe it to a
                        distribution point where it can then be placed in pressurized
                        tank trucks and delivered to the service stations.

                        To liquefy hydrogen is an extremely energy intensive process.
                        Long trains of cascading cooling systems would be needed. Then
                        the hydrogen would have to be allowed to boil off continuously
                        until it is consumed. I think this system would be out of the
                        question. That leaves us with the pressurized system.

                        But I have no idea how much energy this would take or even how
                        high you can pressurize hydrogen? I have read that this would
                        severly limit the range of hydrogen powered automobils because
                        of the limited amount of pressurized hydrogen they could carry.
                        And even if they used fuel cells, the hydrogen would still have
                        to be delivered to the cell recharging plants. But I have
                        absolutely no doubt that this pressurizing and delivery process
                        would add considerably to the cost of hydrogen as fuel.

                        Does anyone else?

                        Ron Patterson

                        =====
                        - So let us recognize human mysticism for what it really is: the rusting Excalibur of our species, an old and vital streak of genetic madness that once rescued our kind from the brink of extinction, took us to the stars, and will run us through with due dispatch when our little play is done. Ultimately, I have no real argument with mysticism, nor even with the fear and ignorance on which it feeds. The frail, the fearful, and the foolish�these are my kind of animals.
                        Reg Morrison, last paragraph in �The Spirit in the Gene�.

                        http://webhosting.yahoo.com
                      • b
                        Message 11 of 22 , Nov 20, 2002
                          Hi Steve,

                          SM> I have decided to give away some of the Dinosaur blood symbols to
                          SM> members of this group. Obviously, I am limited as to
                          SM> how many I can give away, so please be honest with yourself and me as to
                          SM> whether you would wear it.

                          Great idea. I wouldn't wear one myself but a
                          bottle of the stuff (crude oil) sitting on my desk may carry the same
                          philosophical weight.

                          How does one get their hands on crude oil locally?

                          (My dad used to have a furniture conditioner that was labeled as crude
                          oil, but I don't know if that was a brand name or the real McCoy)
                          --
                          Cheers,

                          mailto:b@...
                        • jfbaldauf
                          Message 12 of 22 , Nov 20, 2002
                            Steve-

                            Thank you for the kind offer of dino-blood pendants. I would love
                            to have- and pledge to wear- the "square wire" model shown on
                            the web page. I would be even more comfortable with the idea
                            of accepting one pendant as your kind gift, and of purchasing a
                            second pendant as a gift for my wife, and maybe a few more as
                            presents for simpatico friends and family. I couldn't find a price
                            list and hope that I will be able to work something out that is ok
                            with you. I am honored by the gift, and I believe strongly that art
                            and artists should be honored with material support for their work.

                            Thanks again,

                            Jim Baldauf
                            Austin

                            Message 13 of 22 , Nov 20, 2002

                              I've got an acrylic paperweight on my desk that contains a drop shaped
                              20 ml of crude oil, which was a promotional item made by PEMEX that
                              inspired me to try and do the same, but the effort wound up becoming
                              jewelry instead. I couldn't contract a paperweight for under $20, and
                              worked toward mastering the technique, but haven't gotten it yet.

                              The jewelry, though, is more "beared upon the chest before the world".

                              > How does one get their hands on crude oil locally?

                              It was a real bitch for me. I finally found someone who knew someone
                              who worked in a Mexican oil refinery, and bought it from them, at some
                              $1300 per barrel, although I don't have that much. However, at the rate
                              its going I think my ten gallons will last for some 100,000 years.

                              You might try driving through west texas and buying it directly from a
                              stripper owner. That is what I was going to do if I failed in Mexico.
                              Or perhaps "Thompson's reference" would provide a lead.

                              --
                              The harsh times approach. It is the lack of preparation which fills me
                              with concern and anxiety, for we assume that we shall gather wood and

                              Steve Morningthunder

                              mthunder@...
                              http://greatchange.org
                            • S Morningthunder
                              Message 14 of 22 , Nov 20, 2002

                                No, I didn't leave it out.

                                "And, this is before taking into consideration the entire energy cost.
                                It goes back to our dinosaur blood spooner. You've got to build the
                                additional electricity and hydrogen generation plants, the cars, keep
                                the roads up, mine the minerals, and build a distribution system for the
                                hydrogen, plus keep all those people who build it alive and sheltered
                                before you get to the net eMergy, before you have something that the
                                rest of society can work with."

                                There is a link at "entire energy cost" that takes you to a much better
                                treatment of the theme than I might come up with.

                                --
                                A wall of infinite dimension stands before the present course of human
                                evolution. It is the wise finitude of the Earth and its resources.

                                Steve Morningthunder

                                mthunder@...
                                http://greatchange.org
                              • Jacob Lund Fisker
                                Message 15 of 22 , Nov 21, 2002
                                  On Wed, Nov 20, 2002 at 05:52:09AM -0800, Ron Patterson wrote:

                                  > But I have no idea how much energy this would take or even how
                                  > high you can pressurize hydrogen? I have read that this would

                                  For an isothermal process the energy (barring friction etc.) is
                                  just

                                  NkT ln(V_end/V_start)

                                  or

                                  nRT ln(V_end/V_start)

                                  k is Boltzmann's constant, R is the gas constant. N is the number
                                  of H2 molecules, n is their concentration. V are the volumes.

                                  As the process is isothermal you just divide by T to get the entropy
                                  increase.

                                  Caveats: Industrially one may not have the time to ensure a reversible
                                  process - this will increase entropy generation, but not energy
                                  requirements. However, the lack of a large cold reservoir in turn will
                                  probably require some cooling increasing energy requirements, and entropy
                                  generation for the heat engine which does the cooling.

                                  --
                                  Jacob Lund Fisker
                                  PGP-key:0xF94C6234 at www.keyserver.net
                                  http://quasar.physik.unibas.ch/~fisker/401/oil/oil.html
                                • Andrew MacKillop
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Nov 21, 2002
                                    DINOSAURS

                                    Does any member of this group have articles, information, views or comments
                                    about DINOSAURS and their relation to Fossil Energy Civilization ?
                                    Those ole Sauriens can hardly be symbols of 'awareness', but how come they
                                    got to be cult image/icons in the space of maybe 15 years? Is this a Dark
                                    Bond between Fossil Energy Citizenry and the geological age that made our
                                    wonderful world possible? Or good marketing by Spielberg & Co?

                                    Please contact me if you have ideas

                                    A McKillop
                                  • Jack Dingler
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Nov 21, 2002
                                      Would there really be so great a philosophical or symbolic difference
                                      between using crude and refined oil? If so, what would it be?

                                      Jack Dingler

                                      > > Great idea. I wouldn't wear one myself but a
                                      > > bottle of the stuff (crude oil) sitting on my desk may carry
                                      > > the same philosophical weight.
                                      >
                                      > I've got an acrylic paperweight on my desk that contains a drop shaped
                                      > 20 ml of crude oil, which was a promotional item made by PEMEX that
                                      > inspired me to try and do the same, but the effort wound up becoming
                                      > jewelry instead. I couldn't contract a paperweight for under $20, and
                                      > worked toward mastering the technique, but haven't gotten it yet.
                                      >
                                      > The jewelry, though, is more "beared upon the chest before the world".
                                      >

                                      > > How does one get their hands on crude oil locally?
                                      > >
                                      > It was a real bitch for me. I finally found someone who knew someone
                                      > who worked in a Mexican oil refinery, and bought it from them, at some
                                      > $1300 per barrel, although I don't have that much. However, at the rate
                                      > its going I think my ten gallons will last for some 100,000 years.
                                      >
                                      > You might try driving through west texas and buying it directly from a
                                      > stripper owner. That is what I was going to do if I failed in Mexico.
                                      > Or perhaps "Thompson's reference" would provide a lead.
                                      >
                                      > --
                                      > The harsh times approach. It is the lack of preparation which fills me
                                      > with concern and anxiety, for we assume that we shall gather wood and
                                      > slay game when the wind is white with winter.
                                      >
                                      > Steve Morningthunder
                                      >
                                      > mthunder@g...
                                      > http://greatchange.org
                                    • b
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Nov 21, 2002
                                        Hi S,

                                        >> How does one get their hands on crude oil locally?
                                        >>
                                        SM> It was a real bitch for me. I finally found someone who knew someone
                                        SM> who worked in a Mexican oil refinery, and bought it from them, at some
                                        SM> $1300 per barrel, although I don't have that much. However, at the rate
                                        SM> its going I think my ten gallons will last for some 100,000 years.

                                        See my request to BP educational services posted earlier