Re: [energyresources] Re: World Grain Production

  • Frith, Denis
    Message 1 of 41 , Dec 31, 2001
      Now the other side of the Chinese story. In an addresss to this
      year's Conress. Zua Rhongi said that China's two main problems were
      water and petroleum.
      Denis Frith
      Melbourne
      Australia

      --- hgerhauser <gerhaush@...> wrote: > Ron Patterson wrote a
      lot about grain some time ago and gave the
      > following link:
      >
      > > (http://www.earth-policy.org/Updates/Update1.htm)
      > Bloomberg story with a little section that's relevant:
      >
      > http://quote.bloomberg.com/fgcgi.cgi?

      ptitle=Economies&s1=blk&tp=ad_topright_econ&T=markets_bfgcgi_content99

      .ht&s2=ad_right1_economies&bt=ad_position1_economies&middle=ad_frame2_
      > economies&s=APC.v6xYHQ2hpbmEg
      >
      > "The statistics bureau's Zhu also said grain production was
      > expected
      > to surpass 450 million tons this year and that cotton and sugar
      > yields will increase more than 10 percent.
      >
      > The acreage of wheat fields increased by 1.3 million hectares, Zhu
      > said. Rice crops accounted for more than 50 percent of the total
      > grain acreage, he said.
      >
      > Average disposable incomes in urban areas increased by 8.2 percent
      > while income for rural residents rose 4.0 percent, 1.9 percentage
      > points higher than in 2000."
      >
      > Heiko, England

      > Drop me (Tom Robertson) a note at t1r@...
      >
      > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
      > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      http://my.yahoo.com.au - My Yahoo!
      - It's My Yahoo! Get your own!
    • Frith, Denis
      Message 41 of 41 , Jan 1 7:30 PM
        Steven
        I was quoting from a Chinese source that stated that in their
        view it is a serious problem there.

        Denis Frith
        Melbourne

        --- szoraster <szoraster@...> wrote: > --- In
        energyresources@y..., "Frith, Denis" <denisaf2000@y...>
        > wrote:
        > > Consider the irony of how China's economic growth is accentuating
        >
        > > the water problem in the north. There are so many more people
        > able
        > > to enjoy the benefits of the blooming economy that they can put
        > in
        > > showers and toilets, so markedly reducing the water available for
        > > irrigation, so food production. What a battle!
        > >

        > World wide, the use of water for personal hygiene is minuscule
        > compared to its use for agriculture. In American cities, water use
        >
        > for personal hygiene is less than its use for watering lawns, etc.
        > Chinese showers and toilets aren't an important problem.
        > Agriculture
        > and probably industry, are.
        >
        > (My reference is talking to one civil engineer involved in
        > designing
        > water supply and waste water disposal systems. I haven't searched
        > around the web.)
        >
        > Steven Zoraster

        http://my.yahoo.com.au - My Yahoo!
        - It's My Yahoo! Get your own!