Update for July 21, 2014 - Newsletter (America's New Enemy - Saudi Arabia! -1)

  • Gerry Agnew
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 20, 2014
      This idea is really quite fascinating, and no I have not taken leave of my senses! Have a look at:

      Now WND is not among my favourite list of commentators about what is happening in the world, but I spend a few seconds a day in reviewing what it has on offer. In looking at this on June 28, I hit the proverbial jackpot! The writer of the WND piece is one I have heard from for many years now, and makes an excellent case by reviewing what the noted analytical service, Stratfor, had to say way back in 2002. In particular, what caught my eye were the two following quotes:

      “Current and potential U.S. geopolitical foes Iran, Saudi Arabia and Syria would be isolated from each other with big chunks of land between them under control of the pro-U.S. forces,” Stratfor said.

      and

      “Equally important, Washington would be able to justify its long-term and heavy military presence in the region as necessary for the defense of a young new state asking for U.S. protection – and to secure the stability of oil markets and supplies. That in turn would help the United States gain direct control of Iraqi oil and replace Saudi oil in case of conflict with Riyadh.”

      * * * *

      Well I cannot complain that the planners at the US State Department are not looking at all possible contingencies for an admittedly critical area of the world, but to effectively war game Saudi Arabia? What do they base this on anyway? Good question, and that is the subject of this letter.
      We can say that since the 1930s when the impoverished desert kingdom of the House of Saud was found to contain what was thought at the time to be unlimited quantities of the resource, the US was drawn to its possible exploitation. When the Cold War (the first one?) started in earnest, the US took steps to make sure that the Soviets were kept out of the area at all costs. The Saudis were paid a pittance for their precious mother lode (USD 0.90 a barrel at one point in the 1960s) and despite their protests, not much was done until the seminal 1973 Arab-Israeli War.

      When it was felt that the US had somehow betrayed its friendship with Riyadh and the Gulf nations in general, we saw (if you remember all the way back then!) what was referred to as “The Arab Oil Embargo” which kept Arab oil in the ground and left US motorists fuming. I remember driving around upstate New York and Vermont at that time (with my car filled with Canadian gasoline!) and seeing service station after station with signs out saying “No Gas” or equivalent. There was genuine fear that the economies of The West would grind to a halt, with who knows what effects in the Cold War (which nearly became very hot at one point during the 1973 Conflict).

      Gerry