Looking at issues of disposal of fracking wastewater

  • Eric Pfeiffer
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 15, 2014

         This is a great article about the problems of disposal of waste water
      from fracking. The author writes in the context of examining a certain
      company that has a pipeline idea to move water in and back for treatment.
      Disregarding that company emphasis, which one should do, it is a
      great detailed discussion of the problems of acquiring water to frack and
      disposing of the waste water as it reemerges from the drilling holes.

          The story of the contaminated waste water in composition sounds very
      similar to the waste water from oil sands except fracking water may
      be nastier.
           I would argue that you should read the article as it is quite detailed and
      impossible to summarize in a few paragraphs.

          Against this background, we do need to keep in mind that the US has
      become heavily reliant on this same oil and gas source to keep it's
      economic engine running.  There is no returning to conventional oil and
      gas without severe economic issues.  I ran into an EIA chart showing
      that over half of the US natural gas is now "fracked" in origin as
      conventional gas fields decline in output.

           Where do we go from here? All options carry heavy price tags.