Re: Why EIA, IEA, and Randers 2052 Energy Forecasts are Wrong

  • Thomas Wayburn
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 15, 2014

      This may be the best thing Gail has written.  It certainly should give thoughtful people adequate reason to want dramatic economic changes.  Clearly, we need a new monetary system.  I am particularly hard-pressed just now; so, I can’t describe it here.  However, I have discussed new monetary systems on my blog at http://eroei.blogspot.com/  and elsewhere.  With a new monetary system, which  is strictly-speaking imaginary, that is, having only indirect effects on the universe, our problems can be analyzed in terms of net energy, which is physical.  Let me repeat:  The finiteness of the world does not prevent us from instituting a new monetary system that has NONE of the problems that Gail attributes to our present monetary system.  This can be done in a number of ways – some more unpleasant than others.

      Tom Wayburn, Houston, Texas

    • Gerry Agnew
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 15, 2014
        Tom, I believe we shall have a wrenching adjust to our monetary system (your new system). The trouble is that the current system is so deeply ingrained, globally, that it will be hard to root out. There are far too many vested interests to be overcome in my experience for this to be anything but very nasty.

        Gerry

        Sent: Wednesday, January 15, 2014 8:18 AM
        Subject: [energyresources] Re: Why EIA, IEA, and Randers 2052 Energy Forecasts are Wrong

        This may be the best thing Gail has written.  It certainly should give thoughtful people adequate reason to want dramatic economic changes.  Clearly, we need a new monetary system.  I am particularly hard-pressed just now; so, I can’t describe it here.  However, I have discussed new monetary systems on my blog at http://eroei.blogspot.com/  and elsewhere.  With a new monetary system, which  is strictly-speaking imaginary, that is, having only indirect effects on the universe, our problems can be analyzed in terms of net energy, which is physical.  Let me repeat:  The finiteness of the world does not prevent us from instituting a new monetary system that has NONE of the problems that Gail attributes to our present monetary system.  This can be done in a number of ways – some more unpleasant than others.

        Tom Wayburn, Houston, Texas

        No virus found in this message.

      • twayburn@att.net
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 16, 2014
          I agree; however, after the present system collapses, we might be able to set up something more reasonable for the limited number of people who might be available for the re-establishment of civilization. I picture civilized life as life according to principles on a natural Earth with groups of humans living in gardens created and maintained by themselves with free energy harvested from the Sun in real time.

          Tom Wayburn, uncivilized Houston, in uncivilized Texas