Question for group about US refinery data...

  • hamlet_jones
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 12, 2014
      It looks like we're using less than half of the peak. This can't be the whole picture, can it?  What am I missing?

      Hamlet

      U.S. Total Gasoline Retail Sales by Refiners

      http://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/hist/LeafHandler.ashx?n=PET&s=A103600001&f=M
    • Eric Pfeiffer
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 14, 2014
        This data shows sales that are direct from refiner to US retail outlet.  Most refiners have largely ended that process as the retail
        sales margins are too small. Refiners instead sell to third parties who sell to retail.  There is another EIA data piece displaying
        that.
            Refiner sales of gasoline to the US market continue at a pace last seen in about 1997.  US refiner sales of gasoline
        to markets outside of the US have increased allowing increased output.

             The days of people buying gasoline at "66" stations or "Valero" stations or " Standard/American" stations has become a memory we
        recall as we watch older movies,as those refiners now sell to  SuperAmerica  chains, "Holiday" chains and such which
        are third party vendors.

              It is however boom times for refiners as exports of gasoline grow due to cheap US shale oil allowing refiners to underprice
        countries relying on conventional oil production like Brazil, Mexico, and Canada.

        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 20, 2014

          Thank you for the reply Eric.  I guess it's not as bad as it first looks, but 1997 levels of retail sales is still a significant decline.

          I saw this on zerohedge, concerning retail foot traffic, which has halved. If Americans are not walking the malls, then they aren't driving to them either.  -Hamlet

          From: "hamlet_jones@..." <hamlet_jones@...>

        • bobwilson919
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 20, 2014

            Circa 1980 I drove a large Ford station wagon that got about 10 mpg. My wife drove a sedan with an 8 liter engine. It did little better. At that time the automobile companies were having problems adapting to the elimination of tetraethyl lead. Subsequently downsizing and progressive engine improvements raised milage. My relatively new Honda Accord averages 30. My older Prius is even better.

            R Wilson SO CA

          • Eric Pfeiffer
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 21, 2014
              Zerohedge did this same thing before. They do this intentionally as part of their "everything is collapsing" nonsense.

                  I will be presenting a workup on US and global gasoline in early March (am waiting for the 2013 final data series).  It isn't
              something Zeroheads would ever show, but I don't have an ax to grind either.
                   US gasoline production is about 15 times higher than shown on the graph.

                   Retail mall traffic is down, but online retail traffic is up sharply more than compensating for the mall traffic decline. Expect
              more of that trend but don't expect Zerohedge to present those aggregate totals. I could talk at length about marketing quality of
              Amazon.com vs Best Buy as I wrote a piece elsewhere detailing marketing quality of each. Amazon.com beat them in every
              area of presentation technique.   They absolutely overwhelmed them in ability to market the product in both presentation and
              delivery.

                   Does Zerohedge still call for gold at 5000?  It and I parted ways a few years ago over this very gasoline article.   EP

              From: "hamlet_jones@..." <hamlet_jones@...>