Fw: [roeoz] Australia runs out of fuel ? That's funny according to 'comedian' Charlie Pickering

  • Denis Frith
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 28, 2013
      This comment on fuel is a typical view of people living in Myopia. Smarter, knowledgeable people understand  that fuel supply problems will emerge while the vast majority will continue to give no thought to the issue until the price really escalates.

      The situation in the Real world is that about half the global store of oil has been used up (so destroyed) already. And that has been the easy to extract oil. The oil industry is now striving desperately to extract the hard stuff by measures such as fracking. And, of course, governments and the people at large are so engrossed in economic matters that they do not have remedial measures on the agenda.

      The article describes some of the problems that are bound to emerge as fuels become scarce. That is an optimistic view because it does not embrace a realistic understanding that oil (together with many other natural resources) is irrevocably running out. Society will have to cope as best they can with that sign from the Real world while also coping with climate change and many other deleterious aspects of the impact of industrialization. To top it off, people will have to do this as many of the services they have become dependent on disintegrates. Our cities will by the end of this century be going the same way as the cities of the Mayan and Sumerian civilizations went in the past. The surviving global population will have to relearn many of the basic skills.

      Denis Frith