Re: [energyresources] Spreading the horror

  • Denis Frith
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 25, 2013
      I can appreciate guy McPherson's view as I have had a similar one for years. I have often considered how I can get family and friends to understand what is really happening in the operation of our civilization rather than the common anthropocentric hallucination. I am now enecouraging my grandchildren to think in terms of two worlds: Myopia and Real.

      Myopia is the world in which people have a biased view of what is happening so they make decisions about using natural resources and the eco systems for their benefit. It is a world in which money exerts a profound influence even though it does not represent true vale.

      The Real world is what is actually tangibly happening. It is natural resources irrevocably running out. It is the irreversibly changing climate. It is the acidification of the oceans. It is the soil nutrients being flushed down into the oceans. It is the waste materials from the operation of civilization that are devastating the environment. It is the pollution of land, sea, air and organisms, including people, by the effluents from industrial operations. It is the irrevocable aging of the infrastructure, including the cities.

      Doubtless the decision making process of Myopia will continue to control operations even as economies transition to contraction because Real effects are starting to hit the hip pocket. However, those smart people who understand the role of Real will be able to make decisions to ease the inevitable powering down of Myopia.

      Denis Frith

      ________________________________
      Sun, Feb 24, 2013

      Uncategorized http://guymcpherson.com/category/uncategorized/>

      I'm pretty sure you know the drill. You pose the scenario and ask the
      hypothetical questions:/There's an asteroid headed for Earth. We know
      exactly when it will strike, and it will kill all humans. Do you want to
      know it will strike? Do you want to know when?/

      I know of no poll results, but I've asked the question a few times. Some
      people want to know everything. Others don't want to know anything.

      People who want to know when the asteroid will strike cannot fathom that
      people don't want to know. People who don't want to know the asteroid is
      headed our way cannot fathom why anybody would want to know. Obviously,
      I'm in the former camp, spreading the news like Nutella on a croissant
      as if people not only care about knowledge, but want to lap it up.

      In fact, it's inconceivable to me that people don't want to know. I want
      to stare, unblinking, when the asteroid strikes. I want to peer into the
      abyss of my mortality, eyes wide open, knowing the exact moment I will
      depart this mortal coil. Not in the name of courage, but curiosity.

      I have an idea. I could use the scenario and attendant hypothetical
      questions to introduce future presentations. (As an aside, the potential
      for speaking tours comes up quite frequently for me. Then, as
      prospective hosts fully understand the messages I'll be transmitting,
      they fade away, often with no explanation and no response to my repeated
      messages. If you're interested in jumping over the incredibly low bar
      necessary to host me,click this link for information
      http://guymcpherson.com/2012/10/multimedia-extravaganza-and-another-offer-to-help/>.)
      Back to the point: If I used the hypothetical questions in my
      introduction, it would allow participants an opportunity to leave the
      premises before they hear the worst of it. They'd be out a few minutes
      of time, but they'd save some time and they'd depart relatively free of
      angst. Ignorance is bliss,especially with respect to challenging social
      issues http://www.apa.org/news/press/releases/2011/11/ignorance.aspx>,
      and who am I to rob people of their bliss?

      Like the ninth person to arrive at a party for eight, I missed "fitting
      in" only by a smidgen. If I'm angry because I'm late to the party, you
      get to bear the brunt of my anger by reading about it here. My only
      defense is the line that's become a bumper-sticker cliche: If you're not
      outraged, you're not paying attention.

      For me, not knowing is unbearable. But knowing is a great burden, too.
      And while I'm expecting an asteroid oddly shaped like climate chaos,
      we'll probably get hit by a meteor.

      If I did not know about thehorrors of empire
      http://guymcpherson.com/2012/10/only-love-remains/>, I would still be
      teaching at a university. I would still be drawing a large paycheck
      doing the work I love and interacting with idealistic young people. I
      would have the respect and admiration of civilized people, including the
      members of my immediate family.

      If I did not know about thehorrors of climate change
      http://guymcpherson.com/2013/01/climate-change-summary-and-update/>, I
      would be content with my path in life. I would be living large, sleeping
      well, and enjoying the contentment of a life well lived. Rarely would I
      attract animus from across the sociopolitical spectrum. Angst would lie
      in abeyance, along with threats on my life.

      What a boring existence that would be. For better and worse, I'm stuck
      with the current adventure: the adventure of a lifetime until the
      adventure ends, along with the life.

      There are no second chances, no opportunities to undo what's been done.
      At the level of individuals, we refer to poor choices as stupidity (when
      others are making the choices) or tragedy (when it's us). At the level
      of our ill-fated species, we refer to the myriad poor choices as
      progress. As nearly as I can distinguish, when faced with the proverbial
      fork in the road, we've taken the wrong turn at each and every
      opportunity. There are no second chances for our species, no
      opportunities to undo what's been done. And yet we keep plugging along,
      claiming we're sapient progressives. A few among us claim to be
      conservatives, but we're conserving only this omnicidal way of life.
      Until we can't.

      We've committed suicide at the level of our entire species, and too many
      other species to correctly tally. All that's left is more excuses in an
      endless string of excuses from the architects and marketers of
      industrial civilization. I won't hold my breath for their long-overdue
      apologies.

      VIDEO URL http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Yq1qMRmimiQ

      I'm not suggesting all theblissignorance is inexplicable. The corporate
      governments of the world have been following the playbook of William
      Casey, U.S. Director of the Central Intelligence Agency, since long
      before he uttered these words in 1981: "We'll know our disinformation
      program is complete when everything the American public believes is
      false." It's working great, as indicated by theone-third of Americans
      who would accept cavity searches in exchange for the privilege of flying
      commercial airlines
      http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article33022.htm>, among many
      other such anecdotes.

      An empire in decline requires obedience at home, and it helps if the
      populace remains purposefully ignorant. At a weekly White House meeting
      dubbed "Terror Tuesdays," thedrone-bomber-in-chief
      http://blogs.cfr.org/zenko/2013/02/20/how-many-terrorists-have-been-killed-by-drones/>decides
      who will die without a whiff of due process, transparency, or oversight
      (and he has plenty ofvideo-game operators forgoing their consciences to
      pull the trigger
      http://www.businessinsider.com/a-drone-bomber-pilot-speaks-out-for-the-first-time-on-what-his-job-is-really-like-2012-6>).
      In the video clipembedded in this article
      http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/oct/20/wasserman-schultz-kill-list>,
      Democratic National Committee chair Debbie Wasserman Schultz claims she
      has never heard of Obama's infamous "kill list," thus branding herself
      anational-level politicianliar or stunningly ignorant (if she's lying,
      she hasplenty of company in the Obama administration
      http://www.westernjournalism.com/obama-caught-in-bald-faced-lie-on-sequester/>).

      Obama has given himself power overall communication systems in the
      country
      http://worldtruth.tv/obama-gives-himself-control-of-all-communication-systems-in-america/>,
      and he can wiretap, indefinitely detain, and kill any of us on a whim,
      thereby indicating how meaningless is the Bill of Rights. In addition,
      he's constantly seeking more power (includingpre-emptive
      http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinion/2013/02/201321710236780782.html>prosecution,
      in case he believes you're thinking about committing a crime). Obama's
      brand of evil,which includes dictatorial assassinations
      http://www.paulcraigroberts.org/2013/02/07/it-has-happened-here-paul-craig-roberts/>andongoing
      destruction
      http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2013/02/electronics-border-seizures/>of the
      Constitution and theBill of Rights
      http://www.zerohedge.com/contributed/2013-02-21/scorecard-how-many-rights-have-americans-really-lost>,
      is exceeded only by the audacity and willful ignorance of his supporters.

      *VIDEO URL*
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=lWYgFb_Bspw
      ____________

      My monthly essay for/Transition Voice/is scheduled to appear tomorrow.
      Look for ithere http://transitionvoice.com/>.

      My latest cyber-conversation with Sherry Ackerman was posted
      at/Transition Voice/last week. It'shere
      http://transitionvoice.com/2013/02/the-idiot-box/>.

      From my Facebook page: Support the 99er documentary film, featuring Guy
      McPherson ("Walking Away From Empire"), Bill Moyer (Backbone Campaign),
      Keef Ward, Vincent Scotti Eirene, Jim Rehberg, Dana Light, Samsarah
      Morgan, Lazarus Long, Darrel Willis and other everyday people
      wholeheartedly involved in making another world possible. To pitch in,
      clickhere https://www.wepay.com/donations/ows-week_1>. Two trailers are
      embedded below.
      *VIDEO URL
      *http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=lWYgFb_Bspw