Re: Veiled Threats By Prominent Neo-Malthusians: Cull Human Population Or Expect “Vast Die-Off”

  • acerbas
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 31, 2012
      Adding Mark Graffis to my whacko conspiracy "truther" list. Anyone who believes that this planet can sustainably support the current human population is certifiable.
      Love it that population skeptics always employ the perjorative "neo-Malthusian label as if that somehow adequately repudiated the good reverend RTM's Essay on Human Population. I got labeled a neo-Malthusian and kicked off a Green Party message board because I dared suggest that the Greens might learn something important by reading Catton. Silly me, I have been a Green Party member for 22 years, since it was established in California, and seldom if ever have I encountered a group of people so woefully ignorant about the basic principles of ecology, especially human ecology.

      Of course Fragkias's solution is absurd. Almost as lunatic as Hawking's suggestion that we can deal with the population problem by colonizing other planets. There is no way to avert a die-off, to bring our population in synchrony with the ongoing solar energy that can be harvested once we run out of fossil sunlight. But some of the worst pain might be mitigated were we to stop littering the planet with our prodigy now. I got my vasectomy about 1970, after reading The Population Bomb. One child. Can you imagine what the world would look like if every couple had had one child since 1970? In just two generations the world population would have shrunk from 3.7 billion then to under a billion now, instead of our 7 billion plus now. Which number do you think is more sustainable?

      Of course it could have never happened. People are stupid. They are in thrall to their biological urges. Hence a massive, painful die-off is inevitable. Am I sorry? Hell no, its just evolution acting out its genetic script. But, as H.G. Wells once said, "Goddamn you all, I told you so."

      George Vye
      gmvye@...
      http://dieoff.org/
      http://www.vhemt.org/

      "If we don't halt population growth with justice and compassion, it will be done for us by nature, brutally and without pity — and we will leave a ravaged world."
      ~ Dr. Henry W. Kendall, Nobel Laureate