French PM on oil depletion: "the French should not be told stories"

  • Sheila N
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 22, 2008
      The French Primeminister, Francois Fillon, was interviewed by France2
      television on the 8pm news on 21 Feb 2008.

      He said that the French should not be told stories. The price of oil will
      remain very high because oil is a depleting resource. He said that this was
      moreover at the heart of the �Grenelle de l�environnement,� a summit on the
      environment between employers and unions in October 2007; that behaviour
      must change because nothing can compensate for the rising cost of petroleum.
      He said that the government was going to freeze public spending for the next
      five years.

      We have yet to hear such frankness from our governments in Australia, Canada
      and the USA.

      Another item on the French news was that beef and pork producers cannot
      afford to buy grain for their animals; they are running at a loss because of
      the rising cost of grain.

      Another item showed thousands of people demonstrating solidarity with the
      homeless in Paris, led by 28 organisations.

      Hard to imagine that in Australia, Canada or the USA either.

      Sheila Newman

      Energy, Population and Land-use Planning sociologist

      Melbourne Australia

      Checked by AVG Free Edition.
      4:09 PM

    • thejosaman
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 24, 2008
        --- In energyresources@yahoogroups.com, "Sheila N" <smnaesp@...> wrote:

        > The French Primeminister, Francois Fillon, was interviewed by France2
        > television on the 8pm news on 21 Feb 2008.

        Hi Sheila, very interesting news, I've been trying to get the transcript for the interview, or more quoting, without much success, have you got any link to this?

        Villepin was even more clear, he said "we just entered the postpetroleum era, and that we must face reality". He said that while visiting Spain, so all my sources for this are in Spanish: http://www.finanzas.com/id.8624335/noticias/noticia.htm

        Sorry!!

        :-)

        Daniel