Up in the Air

  • Barbara Wulf MS. ACC. CPCC
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 24, 2011
      A Free-Reprint Article Written by: Barbara Wulf MS, ACC, CPCC

      Article Title:
      Up in the Air

      Article Description:
      When looking for work or changing careers, go beyond researching
      on the internet and reading articles. Find out how you can learn
      from the art of listening and having a conversation.

      Additional Article Information:
      ===============================

      Distribution Date and Time: 2011-07-24 08:00:00

      Written By: Barbara Wulf MS, ACC, CPCC
      Copyright: 2011
      Contact Email: mailto:beckoncaller@...

      Barbara Wulf MS, ACC, CPCC's Picture URL:
      http://www.beckoncall-coach.com/images/barbsphoto.jpg

      For more free-reprint articles by Barbara Wulf MS, ACC, CPCC, please visit:
      http://www.thePhantomWriters.com/recent/author/barbara-wulf-ms,-acc,-cpcc.html

      Versions Of Article Are Available at:
      http://thePhantomWriters.com/free_content/db/w/up-in-the-airshtml#get_code

      Up in the Air
      Copyright (c) 2011 Barbara Wulf MS, ACC, CPCC
      Beckon Call Coach
      http://www.beckoncall-coach.com/

      You never know whom you will meet when you are flying. You can
      learn a lot from a stranger, if you are open to having a
      conversation and enjoy the art of listening. Case in point, on a
      recent flight, I found myself sitting next to a man who was
      returning from Florida to Michigan. He was an entrepreneur, a
      successful entrepreneur, a few times over. He was able to retire
      early and was so effective at starting businesses; he was
      continuing to help others create small businesses, and enjoying
      it.

      When I asked him what he credited for his success. He said that
      growing up on a farm gave him a hard work ethic. That used to be
      a common theme in rural America. I wonder what will replace
      "farm living" for the future generations as we see more
      movement away from agriculture. And, he felt his college degree
      from Michigan was also an asset. I agree, a college degree is
      always a good life investment no matter how you use it. Now
      pushing 70, it's hard for him to slow down. He loves putting the
      pieces together. He is still passionate about business
      development and has a lot of experience, knowledge and business
      savviness to share.

      I transferred planes in Detroit to finish the last leg of my trip
      back home. A solider sat down next to me in seat 7-B. The man in
      camouflage was returning home after serving a year in the Army
      Reserves in Afghanistan. As a dad in his mid 30's, he was hoping
      he would make it home in time to see his son play JV basketball
      that evening.

      Afghanistan´┐Ża world away. He said it was overwhelming to be
      dropped there, with very little language skill. He had a job to
      do and despite the steep learning curve, he did the best job he
      could do. He was looking forward to sharing his experience with
      high school students who know so little about Afghanistan, just
      like me. He would also pick up where he left off on his job
      search over a year ago. A year in the active Reserves provided
      income after he lost his other job. He certainly has some
      additional information to add to his resume.

      Two different seat mates, two different stories about making a
      living from men who were in different stages of life and with
      different skill sets. We landed. Four friends greeted the solider
      at the gate. I saw the embraces and a few tears. I had a tear as
      well. Thanks you for a job well done, solider. Thank you for
      taking a year from your life and your family to serve.

      I picked up my luggage. As I drove home, I thought, what a ride.
      I felt transformed and humbled by the strangers I met while up in
      the air. What did this career coach learn during her flight home?

      I learn a lot about the world of work by talking to people.
      Hearing from people first hand is the real deal. It's one thing
      to read about the workplace, it's another thing to hear about it
      from people who are working. Be genuine, be curious, and share in
      the dialog. For readers looking for work or considering a career
      change, it is about talking to people. Do your research on the
      Internet and read articles and publications. Then, contact
      someone to talk to them in person or by phone. Do a short
      informational meeting to learn more the industry, their position
      or a related position, or learn more about what attracted them to
      the field. Have a list of prepared questions, but be prepared to
      listen and respond. Be flexible with the questions, read the
      situation and be ready to have a few questions come back at you.
      There is a need for ying and yang in any discussion, so look for
      the balance in your exchange.

      When opportunity knocks, take a chance to engage a stranger
      whether you are up in the air or have both feet on the ground!

      Barbara Wulf MS, ACC, CPCC, is a Certified Career/Life Coach
      and writer helping people redesign their career paths by
      supporting and inspiring them to stretch, seek, and achieve
      work/life success. Barbara offers career assessments along
      with resume/cover letter writing and interviewing strategies
      for impact. Her free monthly e-zine, OWN IT, WORK IT, LIVE IT
      offers tips for those in career transition and others who
      strive for more life/career balance and fulfillment at:
      http://www.beckoncall-coach.com/

      --- END ARTICLE ---

      http://thePhantomWriters.com/free_content/db/w/up-in-the-airshtml#get_code

      TERMS OF REPRINT - Publication Rules
      (Last Updated: May 11, 2006)

      The Digital Millennium Copyright Act

      *** Digital Reprint Rights ***
      * career coach, job search, life coach, career transition

      Hyperlinks (clickable links).

      within the article.

      *** Author Notification ***

      or her work. Barbara Wulf MS, ACC, CPCC can be reached at:
      beckoncaller@...

      for Print Permission at:
      mailto:beckoncaller@...

      Article Marketing Ebook at:

      *
      *
      * employment-hunting-tips@yahoogroups.com
      *

      ABOUT THIS ARTICLE SUBMISSION

      are owned and operated by:

      Bill Platt
      3010 E Raintree
      Stillwater, Oklahoma USA 74074

      and opinion of its author, Barbara Wulf MS, ACC, CPCC
      http://www.beckoncall-coach.com/