Roles and Responsibilities of a SAP MM Consultant

  • Varsha Vilankar
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 20 8:30 AM
      A Free-Reprint Article Written by: Varsha Vilankar

      Article Title:
      Roles and Responsibilities of a SAP MM Consultant

      Article Description:
      Everyday there are thousands of people who discover the
      prospects of a career in SAP. However, lack of knowledge
      often takes them to mushroom schools that have sprung up due
      to the high demand of SAP training. Varsha has attempted to
      give an easy to follow roadmap that is drawn on a timeline.
      Following this roadmap will ensure that students don't end
      up as hit-and-run victims of mushroom schools that are run
      by unethical businessmen and not educators. Midst of the
      weakening economy and employment uncertainty, the last thing
      you want is for someone to rob you of your savings and
      precious time. Read this article to stay in touch for an
      amazing career in SAP.

      Additional Article Information:
      ===============================

      Distribution Date and Time: 2010-04-20 10:30:00

      Written By: Varsha Vilankar
      Copyright: 2010
      Contact Email: mailto:varsha.vilankar@...

      Varsha Vilankar's Picture URL:
      http://www.elucidationllc.com/images/varsha1.gif

      For more free-reprint articles by Varsha Vilankar, please visit:
      http://www.thePhantomWriters.com/recent/author/varsha-vilankar.html

      Versions Of Article Are Available at:
      http://thePhantomWriters.com/free_content/db/v/sap-mm-consultant.shtml#get_code

      Roles and Responsibilities of a SAP MM Consultant
      Copyright (c) 2010 Varsha Vilankar
      Learn SAP
      http://www.learnsap.com/

      Here is a guide on how to start a career in SAP Materials
      Management (MM) Module. Learn how and where to get the training.
      SAP software in a nutshell is composed of three main functional
      areas, Financials, Logistics, and Human Capital Management. Under
      each one of these functional areas there are several sub-modules,
      which record and compute the day-to-day transactions of an
      enterprise. �The data entered in the system is immediately
      available to all relevant modules for reporting or for further
      processing. This level of integration is possible because all
      modules use the same RDBMS, an ingenious database design known as
      Relational Database Management System. �You might never hear the
      end of why SAP is so popular, but in my opinion it is because
      decision makers have the most current reports to take effective
      decisions for strategic steering of the enterprise. After all it
      is this value that makes companies invests millions of dollars to
      use SAP as their Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) software.

      My name is Varsha Vilankar and I am writing this article on the
      request of LearnSAP.com ( a leading and respected SAP training
      school ) to help individuals understand the roles and
      responsibilities of a SAP MM configuration consultant. Having
      worked on several end-to-end projects in a variety of industries
      I have compiled a checklist, which I believe will be useful to
      ensure a successful launch of a career in SAP Materials
      Management module. �

      SAP Materials Management covers all tasks within the supply
      chain; including consumption based planning, purchasing, vendor
      evaluation and invoice verification. It also includes inventory,
      production planning, and warehouse management. �

      On job as a configuration consultant you will be expected to
      perform configuration work as per the blue print document.
      Usually there are several small and large configuration teams
      working on different parts of the business process. Everyone on
      the implementation project is supposed to complete his or her
      work on a very closely watched timeline. Its very much like a
      production line, the crew down the line cannot hang the door on
      the car frame until you put the door together and hand it to
      them.

      I was an ABAPer before I became an SAP MM consultant. ABAP is the
      proprietary computer programming language, which SAP has
      developed to write all of its applications in. As a programmer I
      worked with functional consultants from all modules, but
      Materials Management always fascinated me the most. So I decided
      that as a natural progression of my career when it is time, I
      would work in MM as a techno-functional consultant.

      Configuration is fun, all of the nuts and bolts come together in
      this stage of implementation and things begin to take shape.
      Stress is in the air and everyone seems to be in hurry and as the
      launch date draws closer things only get more exciting and
      challenging.

      In an Organizational hierarchy of SAP Implementation, Material
      management organizational structure includes Plant, Storage
      location and Purchasing Organization which are created under a
      Company Code. The organizational level Plant, being the key
      factor in all of the logistics area. The module has two important
      master data - material and vendor.

      When I can manage some time away from the stress of a project I
      help LearnSAP.com organize and deliver SAP courses for
      individuals seeking a career in SAP. I sometimes teach the course
      as well but most of the time I train the trainers.� I helped put
      together the curriculum and every now and then I keep adding or
      removing stuff from it to match industry trends. A copy of the
      curriculum which I believe is a good balance of what you are
      expected to know, is given here for your reference.

      1. Basics

      * SAP Overview

      * SAP R/3 Basics

      * Business Framework Architecture

      * MM Overview

      * Organization Structure of an Enterprise

      * Procurement Process

      * Purchase Requisition

      * Purchase Order

      * Goods Receipt

      * Invoice Verification

      2. MM Procurement Process

      * Master Data

      o Material Master

      o Vendor Master

      o Purchase info Record

      * Purchasing

      o Purchase Order (PO)

      o Purchase Requisition (PR)

      o Request for Quotations (RFQ)

      * Special Stocks and Special Procurement Types

      o Stock Items

      o Non-Stock/Consumable Items

      o One Time Material

      o Service Orders, Service Entry Sheet

      o Subcontracting

      o Stock Transport Order

      * Source Determination

      o Source List

      o Source Determination

      * Release Procedures for Purchasing Documents (with and without
      classification)

      o Creation of Characteristics

      o Creation of Class

      o Release Groups, Code, Indicator, Pre-requisites

      o Release Strategies

      3. Inventory Management

      * Goods Receipt

      * Goods Issue

      * Transfer Posting

      * Reservation

      * Physical Inventory

      4. Invoicing

      * Invoice Posting

      * Variances and Blocking Reasons

      * Release Blocked Invoices

      * Automatic Settlements - Evaluated Receipt Settlement (ERS)

      5. Valuation and Account Assignment

      * Material Price Change

      * Material Valuation Type

      * Configure Automatic Account Determination

      6. Material Requirements Planning (MRP)

      * Planning Requirements

      * Over All Procedures

      * Planning Run

      7. Reporting in SAP MM

      * Reporting at Document Level

      * Reporting with the Logistics Information System

      8. Integration with other modules

      * Overview of integration of MM with other modules FICO, SD and
      PP

      It is very important that you practice each procedure several
      times.� For this reason the classes are held once a week. The
      extra time between classes will give you an opportunity to spend
      some quality time working hands-on with the system. At first you
      will practice the steps precisely as they are explained to you,
      while gradually you would try different variations and make a
      detail note of errors when you encounter them. The objective is
      that you should be able to recall the solution when you face the
      same problem on the job. Seniority in a work environment is
      seldom the person's physical age instead it is how many problems
      he or she can solve swiftly.� In between classes I am available
      via emails, which I check several times a day. However, before
      you ask a question make sure it hasn't already been addressed
      and resolved over the LearnSAP.com discussion forums.

      Should you decide to go to another school, you must demand these
      standards. Keep in mind that the tuition is directly related to
      the number of students and cost of the instructor. A cheap
      tuition could be an indication of low quality, either there are
      too many students or the instructor is in-experienced.
      Experienced instructors don't come cheap.

      Assuming you got quality training the next step will be to make
      the resume.� I got my resume done by a professional writer.
      Remember resume is a marketing tool and just as you would not
      risk marketing your awesome invention don't risk your career
      either. If you cannot afford to hire a professional then browse
      the software aisle of your local software store for a good resume
      building software that would guide you through the process.

      Last but not least, you should practice the interview process
      with a professional recruiter who can point out flaws (if any)
      and suggest remedies. The interview is a carefully engineered
      process, which is designed to extract an assortment of answers
      for the employer. Usually each question is designed to gather the
      breath and depth of your knowledge and experience. Basically, how
      much you know and how well you know it. There are points for each
      question and the candidate who gets the most points gets the job.

      I haven't forgotten the days when I was searching for a school
      to help me reach my targets and I can appreciate your anxiety as
      well. After all changing careers is not an easy task by any
      standards. �If you have any questions for me, please feel free to
      send them to my attention at info@...

      With a Masters Degree in Computers Varsha Vilankar has been
      associated with SAP right from the onset of her career in I.T.
      in 1992. She has worked on several SAP implementation projects
      and area of expertise lies in manufacturing and utility industry.
      She is a logistics and ABAP expert who knows the ins and outs of
      training with both her company and other trainers worldwide. She
      has authored several course-ware for http://www.LearnSAP.com/

      --- END ARTICLE ---

      http://thePhantomWriters.com/free_content/db/v/sap-mm-consultant.shtml#get_code

      TERMS OF REPRINT - Publication Rules
      (Last Updated: May 11, 2006)

      The Digital Millennium Copyright Act

      *** Digital Reprint Rights ***

      Hyperlinks (clickable links).

      within the article.

      *** Author Notification ***

      or her work. Varsha Vilankar can be reached at:
      varsha.vilankar@...

      for Print Permission at:
      mailto:varsha.vilankar@...

      Article Marketing Ebook at:

      *
      *
      * employment-hunting-tips@yahoogroups.com
      *

      ABOUT THIS ARTICLE SUBMISSION

      are owned and operated by:

      Bill Platt
      3010 E Raintree
      Stillwater, Oklahoma USA 74074

      and opinion of its author, Varsha Vilankar
      http://www.learnsap.com/