Re: [empires-in-arms] Re: ADG vs. Avalon Hill version: What are the difference?

  • FOLKLER,GLORIA
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 11, 2005
      There are a lot of changes:

      Inf went from $2 to $3, ships from $7 to $10, guard and
      artillary from $6 to $7...

      In the ADG version, all corps were uniform, ie, all French
      corps were 20i3c: In the AH version The french 1st corps
      is 25i3c, 2-6 are 20i3c, 7-9 are 15i2c and 10-12 are
      12i1c. The 4 cav corps in ADG were 7cav each, in AH they
      are 7 cav for 2, 5 cav for the other 2.

      Similar corps composition changes were made to most of the
      countries.

      Guard was added to Spain and GB, though not guard
      commitment.

      New political combinations was greatly expanded.

      There is a lot more, but these are the major ones which
      come immediately to mind.

      The change in Inf cost alone has a massive impact,
      especially on France. Haveing played France in both
      versions, my first time as France under AH was a rude
      awakening... Your war bankroll is severly diminished due
      to that 50% increase in inf cost... Yea it effects all the
      same, but for France, who tends to end up fighting
      everyone else early, that cost difference is really
      telling...

      In both, I believe all countries have 8 depots.

      Now that ADG is free to do as they please with it, it will
      be interesting to see if they re-issue, and what changes
      they make...

      Cheers, Phil

      On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 19:49:21 -0000
      "ragnarkrempel" <ragnarkrempel@...> wrote:
      > Hm.. I've only heard rumors, but maybe you can
      >confirm them by
      > awnsering me this.
      >
      > How many depots does each nation have?
      > What's the size of the Fr XV corps?
      >

      > Other than that the difference would be the price on
      >ebay, I guess.
      >
      > --- In empires-in-arms@yahoogroups.com, "joeltoppen"
      > <Joel_M_Toppen@m...> wrote:
      > >
      > > I have the ADG version of EiA. Can anyone tell me the
      >difference
      > > between this version and the later Avalon Hill
      >version?
      > >
      > > From what I can tell, the map, pieces, and charts look
      >identical.
      > Are
      > > the differences in the rules?
      > >
      > > JMT

      > Game
      >software Poker
      >games Game
      >development software
      >
      > Game software development college
      > Games
      > Game software
      >developer
      >

      > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
      > Visit your group "empires-in-arms" on the web.
      >Terms of Service.

    • joeltoppen
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 12, 2005
        Thanks for the info. The reason I asked is because I'm wondering if
        I should take a look at the AH rulebook. I wasn't sure if there
        were changes done to the counters, combat tables or corps display
        charts (I've heard that the map is the same).

        JMT

        --- In empires-in-arms@yahoogroups.com, "FOLKLER,GLORIA"
        <folkler@c...> wrote:

        > There are a lot of changes:
        >
        > Inf went from $2 to $3, ships from $7 to $10, guard and
        > artillary from $6 to $7...
        >
        > In the ADG version, all corps were uniform, ie, all French
        > corps were 20i3c: In the AH version The french 1st corps
        > is 25i3c, 2-6 are 20i3c, 7-9 are 15i2c and 10-12 are
        > 12i1c. The 4 cav corps in ADG were 7cav each, in AH they
        > are 7 cav for 2, 5 cav for the other 2.
        >
        > Similar corps composition changes were made to most of the
        > countries.
        >
        > Guard was added to Spain and GB, though not guard
        > commitment.
        >
        > New political combinations was greatly expanded.
        >
        > There is a lot more, but these are the major ones which
        > come immediately to mind.
        >
        > The change in Inf cost alone has a massive impact,
        > especially on France. Haveing played France in both
        > versions, my first time as France under AH was a rude
        > awakening... Your war bankroll is severly diminished due
        > to that 50% increase in inf cost... Yea it effects all the
        > same, but for France, who tends to end up fighting
        > everyone else early, that cost difference is really
        > telling...
        >
        > In both, I believe all countries have 8 depots.
        >
        > Now that ADG is free to do as they please with it, it will
        > be interesting to see if they re-issue, and what changes
        > they make...
        >
        > Cheers, Phil
        >
        > On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 19:49:21 -0000
        > "ragnarkrempel" <ragnarkrempel@y...> wrote:
        > > Hm.. I've only heard rumors, but maybe you can
        > >confirm them by
        > > awnsering me this.
        > >
        > > How many depots does each nation have?
        > > What's the size of the Fr XV corps?
        > >

        > > Other than that the difference would be the price on
        > >ebay, I guess.
        > >
        > > --- In empires-in-arms@yahoogroups.com, "joeltoppen"
        > > <Joel_M_Toppen@m...> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > I have the ADG version of EiA. Can anyone tell me the
        > >difference
        > > > between this version and the later Avalon Hill
        > >version?
        > > >
        > > > From what I can tell, the map, pieces, and charts look
        > >identical.
        > > Are
        > > > the differences in the rules?
        > > >
        > > > JMT

        > > Game
        > >software Poker
        > >games Game
        > >development software
        > >
        > > Game software development college
        > > Games
        > > Game software
        > >developer
        > >

        > > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
        > > Visit your group "empires-in-arms" on the web.
        > >Terms of Service.

      • Timothy Cheong
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 14, 2005
          Major powers do not have the same number of depots

          Austria has 9 depots

          Can't remember the rest.

          Tim

        • timfarleynj
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 29, 2005
            if I recall correctly (it was twenty years ago when I played ADG's
            version) the corps strengths are different.

            then again, I could just be going senile
            --- In empires-in-arms@yahoogroups.com, Timothy Cheong

            new Yahoo! Security Centre. http://uk.security.yahoo.com