Re: [empire-deluxe] Ranks and Points

    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 30, 2002
      Let me fiddle with it then....might be a good weekend exercise (the orginal was my first (not very good) C project).

      =============================
      Steven Woodcock
      From the High Mountains of Colorado
      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 2, 2002
        Oh, let the few people who care go to the trouble of actually getting the
        points. That's what I say. Why take the fun out of it and make it easy?
        -- Emperor MaX
      • JavaKnight
        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 4, 2002

          Tim,

          The DOS version of the player history file (edplyr.hst) has a slight different layout than the Windows version of the player history file. After using Steve's edlook utility I did some analysis of the player history file on my own. The player history file is a binary file. You can not use just any text editor to look at the file. I ftp'd both versions to my Unix account and used the octal dump command to look at the contents.

          % od -tx1 -c PlayerDOS.hst

          % od -tx1 -c PlayerWIN.hst

          Here is what I believe to be the file layout.

          Each DOS player record is 32 bytes:

          player name: 1-13 (13 bytes or 12 bytes + the null if your thinking in C)

          letter "j": 14 (1 byte)

          # of games: 15-16 (2 bytes)

          # of wins: 17-18 (2 bytes)

          # of loses: 19-20 (2 bytes)

          # of resign: 21-22 (2 bytes)

          point total: 23-24 (2 bytes)

          branch: 25 (1 byte, 1=navy, 2=army)

          rank: 26 (1 byte, range = 0 to 10)

          unknown 27-32 (6 bytes, I have not determine what these bytes are for)

          Each Window player record is 32 bytes:

          player name: 1-12 (12 bytes)

          letters "ED": 13-14 (2 bytes)

          # of games: 15-16 (2 bytes)

          # of wins: 17-18 (2 bytes)

          # of loses: 19-20 (2 bytes)

          # of resign: 21-22 (2 bytes)

          point total: 23-24 (2 bytes)

          branch: 25 (1 byte, 1=navy, 2=army)

          rank: 26 (1 byte, range = 0 to 10)

          unknown 27-32 (6 bytes, I have not determine what these bytes are for)

          1 byte = 8 bits, 2 bytes = 16 bits

          I wrote my own version of Steve's edlook utility in C on Unix. It just dumps each player and all the data in a big and little endian format. I am currently working a Java based-GUI version, so that it will run on any platform (Win, Mac, Unix, etc). Once you know the player history file layout, it is not hard to write a program to read and/or edit the file. Just remember if you change the file content to keep your numbers in align.

          For example:

          1. # of games played = wins + loses + resign

          2. make sure the point total is within the rank's point range

          Bob :-)

           Tim Roberts wrote:

          Yes - it does alot more than just that. If you want the file layout -

          Each record is 32 bytes:
          PlayerName 1-13
          # of wins - 16-17 (16bit integer)
          # of losses - 18-19 (16bit integer)
          # of resigns - 20-21 (16bit integer)
          points - 22-23 (16bit integer)
          branch - 24 (1=Navy, 2=Army)
          rank - 25:

          Army Ranks:
          0 - 2nd Lieut.
          1 - 1st Lieut.
          2 - Captain
          3 - Major
          4 - Lieut. Col
          5 - Col.
          6 - Brig. Gen.
          7 - Major gen.
          8 - Lieut. Gen
          9 - General
          10 - General of the Army

          Navy Ranks:
          0 - Ensign
          1 - Lieut (j.g.)
          2 - Lieut.
          3 - Lieut. Commander
          4 - Commander
          5 - Captain
          6 - Rear Adm (lh)
          7 - Rear Adm (uh)
          8 - Vice Adm.
          9 - Admiral
          10 - Fleet Admiral

          4 DVDs Free +s&p Join Now
          http://us.click.yahoo.com/pt6YBB/NXiEAA/MVfIAA/xkRolB/TM

          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 4, 2002
            Cool!  Well done Bob!

            When you get that Java app done let me know. Sounds way better than a new version in C...

            Steven Woodcock
            From the High Mountains of Colorado