Ranks and Points

  • dschwener
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 28 7:36 AM
      By inspecting emplook.exe (3rd party utility), I was able to see the
      possible ranks. Does anyone know how many points it takes to
      increase your rank? I'm at 645 points as Commander, and need 355 for
      the next rank. Also, how can you earn more points per win?

      Army:
      2nd Lieutenant
      1st Lieutenant
      Captain
      Major
      Lieutenant Colonel
      Colonel
      Brigadier General
      Major General
      Lieutenant General
      General
      General of the Army

      Navy:
      Ensign
      Lieutenant (j.g.)
      Lieutenant
      Lieutenant Commander
      Commander
      Captain
      Rear Admiral (l.h.)
      Rear Admiral (u.h.)
      Vice Admiral
      Admiral
      Fleet Admiral

      thanks,
      David
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 28 5:42 PM
        I wrote emplook a long time ago, back in '94 or '95 I think. It was my
        first C project (and really not a very good one, all things considered).

        Going from rank to rank takes an ever-increasing number of points:

        0
        5
        25
        100
        400
        1,000
        3,000
        8,000
        18,000
        36,000
        62,000

        You earn points by playing games--not even necessarily winning, though
        that's faster. The formula is as follows:

        (5 points for winning OR 2 points for losing in a fight to the
        finish OR 1 point for surrender) TIMES
        (the average skill of each opponent (3 for Human/Expert, 2 for
        Standard, 1 for Easy) PLUS
        (one point for every player in the game more than two)

        Example #1:

        You win a straight-up game against 5 other Human players. Your score
        is

        5 * ((3*5)/5) + 4) = 35 points

        Example #2:

        You lose in a game against 1 Human, 1 Expert, 1 Standard, and 2 Easy
        Computer players. Your score is

        2 * (((3 + 3 + 2 + 1 + 1)/5) + 4) = 2 * ((10/5) + 4) = 2 * (2 + 4) =
        12 points.

        Make sense?

        =============================
        Steven Woodcock
        From the High Mountains of Colorado

      • slaughtrsg@aol.com
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 29 5:13 PM
          A while back, I figured out how to gain a lot of points and gain rank very
          quickly.
          Just create a 6-player scenario that will guarantee that you will win in the
          first turn (each opponent has only one city, surround that city with your
          tanks, something like that). Set up the game to play against 5 computer
          players and give yourself every advantage possible. Start the game and take
          each city, then save just before you end the turn. End your turn, and each
          computer player will of course be defeated, garnering you maximum points for
          that game. Reload the game and play the turn over and over. You will earn
          points quickly.
          It's boring, but if you're that concerned about your rank you probably don't
          have a life anyway. Join the club!
          -- Emperor MaX Power
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 29 5:15 PM
            I'd thought about re-writing emplook to allow for direct changes of rank and
            points and the like, but I've never done it. Maybe I should?

            =============================
            Steven Woodcock
            From the High Mountains of Colorado

            > A while back, I figured out how to gain a lot of points and gain rank very
            > quickly.
            > Just create a 6-player scenario that will guarantee that you will win in
            the
            > first turn (each opponent has only one city, surround that city with your
            > tanks, something like that). Set up the game to play against 5 computer
            > players and give yourself every advantage possible. Start the game and
            take
            > each city, then save just before you end the turn. End your turn, and
            each
            > computer player will of course be defeated, garnering you maximum points
            for
            > that game. Reload the game and play the turn over and over. You will
            earn
            > points quickly.
            > It's boring, but if you're that concerned about your rank you probably
            don't
            > have a life anyway. Join the club!
            > -- Emperor MaX Power

          • Anthony Guter
            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 30 1:33 AM
              I've played Empire since 1990 and have reinstalled it several times, starting over each time. So I figure that I deserve to be a general by now. Go ahead Steven, there must be many discontented junior officers longing for promotion

              Anthony Guter

              > A while back, I figured out how to gain a lot of points and gain rank very
              > quickly.
              > Just create a 6-player scenario that will guarantee that you will win in
              the
              > first turn (each opponent has only one city, surround that city with your
              > tanks, something like that).  Set up the game to play against 5 computer
              > players and give yourself every advantage possible.   Start the game and
              take
              > each city, then save just before you end the turn.  End your turn, and
              each
              > computer player will of course be defeated, garnering you maximum points
              for
              > that game.  Reload the game and play the turn over and over.  You will
              earn
              > points quickly.
              > It's boring, but if you're that concerned about your rank you probably
              don't
              > have a life anyway.  Join the club!
              > -- Emperor MaX Power

            • Andrew Peiman
              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 30 2:02 AM
                Why not use EDSecure, it already has a plug that does this.

                --- Anthony Guter <aguter@...> wrote: > I've played Empire since 1990 and

                =====
                Have a nice day, Andrew.
                Webmaster of The Empire Vault - http://mirrordns.com/empirevault
                Webmaster van 'De Spoorzoekers' - http://mirrordns.com/despoorzoekers

                http://uk.my.yahoo.com
              • Anthony Guter
                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 30 2:08 AM
                  Thanks for the reply - I've not heard of ED secure before
                  Anthony

                  Message 8 of 16 , Aug 30 2:09 AM
                    http://edsecure.armageddonsoftware.com/ to find out more about it

                    --- Anthony Guter <aguter@...> wrote: > Thanks for the reply - I've not
                    heard of ED secure before

                    Message 9 of 16 , Aug 30 9:20 AM
                          Heh... I never thought about that. I've always just had a backup of my edplyr.hst file.

                          Hmmmmm..........where's that code?

                      =============================
                      Steven Woodcock
                      From the High Mountains of Colorado

                      Message 10 of 16 , Aug 30 9:24 AM
                        Aha! That's the one Tim wrote. I think (if I remember correctly) he was
                        the gentlemen I sent the file layout to a long time ago.

                        Cool. If you like using EDSecure (I don't, but that's just me) that's a
                        great way to go. It's a good tool.

                        =============================
                        Steven Woodcock
                        From the High Mountains of Colorado

                        > > Why not use EDSecure, it already has a plug that does this.
                        > >
                        > > --- Anthony Guter <aguter@...> wrote: > I've played Empire
                        since
                        > > 1990 and
                        > > have reinstalled it several times,
                        > > > starting over each time. So I figure that I deserve to be a general by
                        > > now.
                        > > > Go ahead Steven, there must be many discontented junior officers
                        longing
                        > > for
                        > > > promotion
                        > > >
                        > > > Anthony Guter

                      • Anthony Guter
                        Message 11 of 16 , Aug 30 9:32 AM
                          I prefer your suggestion of modifying emplook. EDsecure appears to be an 8mb download. A massive hammer to crack (for me) a very tiny nut.
                          Anthony

                          > > Why not use EDSecure, it already has a plug that does this.
                          > >
                          > > --- Anthony Guter <aguter@...> wrote: > I've played Empire
                          since
                          > > 1990 and
                          > > have reinstalled it several times,
                          > > > starting over each time. So I figure that I deserve to be a general by
                          > > now.
                          > > > Go ahead Steven, there must be many discontented junior officers
                          longing
                          > > for
                          > > > promotion
                          > > >
                          > > > Anthony Guter

                        • Tim Roberts
                          Message 12 of 16 , Aug 30 9:53 AM
                            Yes - it does alot more than just that. If you want the file layout -

                            Each record is 32 bytes:
                            PlayerName 1-13
                            # of wins - 16-17 (16bit integer)
                            # of losses - 18-19 (16bit integer)
                            # of resigns - 20-21 (16bit integer)
                            points - 22-23 (16bit integer)
                            branch - 24 (1=Navy, 2=Army)
                            rank - 25:

                            Army Ranks:
                            0 - 2nd Lieut.
                            1 - 1st Lieut.
                            2 - Captain
                            3 - Major
                            4 - Lieut. Col
                            5 - Col.
                            6 - Brig. Gen.
                            7 - Major gen.
                            8 - Lieut. Gen
                            9 - General
                            10 - General of the Army

                            Navy Ranks:
                            0 - Ensign
                            1 - Lieut (j.g.)
                            2 - Lieut.
                            3 - Lieut. Commander
                            4 - Commander
                            5 - Captain
                            6 - Rear Adm (lh)
                            7 - Rear Adm (uh)
                            8 - Vice Adm.
                            9 - Admiral
                            10 - Fleet Admiral
                            Message 13 of 16 , Aug 30 10:31 AM
                              Let me fiddle with it then....might be a good weekend exercise (the orginal was my first (not very good) C project).

                              =============================
                              Steven Woodcock
                              From the High Mountains of Colorado

                            • slaughtrsg@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 16 , Sep 2, 2002
                                Oh, let the few people who care go to the trouble of actually getting the
                                points. That's what I say. Why take the fun out of it and make it easy?
                                -- Emperor MaX
                              • JavaKnight
                                Message 15 of 16 , Sep 4, 2002

                                  Tim,

                                  The DOS version of the player history file (edplyr.hst) has a slight different layout than the Windows version of the player history file. After using Steve's edlook utility I did some analysis of the player history file on my own. The player history file is a binary file. You can not use just any text editor to look at the file. I ftp'd both versions to my Unix account and used the octal dump command to look at the contents.

                                  % od -tx1 -c PlayerDOS.hst

                                  % od -tx1 -c PlayerWIN.hst

                                  Here is what I believe to be the file layout.

                                  Each DOS player record is 32 bytes:

                                  player name: 1-13 (13 bytes or 12 bytes + the null if your thinking in C)

                                  letter "j": 14 (1 byte)

                                  # of games: 15-16 (2 bytes)

                                  # of wins: 17-18 (2 bytes)

                                  # of loses: 19-20 (2 bytes)

                                  # of resign: 21-22 (2 bytes)

                                  point total: 23-24 (2 bytes)

                                  branch: 25 (1 byte, 1=navy, 2=army)

                                  rank: 26 (1 byte, range = 0 to 10)

                                  unknown 27-32 (6 bytes, I have not determine what these bytes are for)

                                  Each Window player record is 32 bytes:

                                  player name: 1-12 (12 bytes)

                                  letters "ED": 13-14 (2 bytes)

                                  # of games: 15-16 (2 bytes)

                                  # of wins: 17-18 (2 bytes)

                                  # of loses: 19-20 (2 bytes)

                                  # of resign: 21-22 (2 bytes)

                                  point total: 23-24 (2 bytes)

                                  branch: 25 (1 byte, 1=navy, 2=army)

                                  rank: 26 (1 byte, range = 0 to 10)

                                  unknown 27-32 (6 bytes, I have not determine what these bytes are for)

                                  1 byte = 8 bits, 2 bytes = 16 bits

                                  I wrote my own version of Steve's edlook utility in C on Unix. It just dumps each player and all the data in a big and little endian format. I am currently working a Java based-GUI version, so that it will run on any platform (Win, Mac, Unix, etc). Once you know the player history file layout, it is not hard to write a program to read and/or edit the file. Just remember if you change the file content to keep your numbers in align.

                                  For example:

                                  1. # of games played = wins + loses + resign

                                  2. make sure the point total is within the rank's point range

                                  Bob :-)

                                   Tim Roberts wrote:

[...]

                                  4 DVDs Free +s&p Join Now
                                  http://us.click.yahoo.com/pt6YBB/NXiEAA/MVfIAA/xkRolB/TM

                                  Message 16 of 16 , Sep 4, 2002
                                    Cool!  Well done Bob!

                                    When you get that Java app done let me know. Sounds way better than a new version in C...

                                    Steven Woodcock
                                    From the High Mountains of Colorado