Re: ComT and a Router

  • general_error404
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 22, 2002
      Steve,
      The easiest way to get ComT to work behind a router is to dial the
      other player using his IP address.

      You are correct that the router hides your local IP addresses. It
      is difficult, if not impossible for the router to know that you have
      set up a server on your PC. ComT uses the same port as a Telnet
      server, so you can check how your router handles a Telnet server. You
      could also use the instructions for FTP and substitute the telnet port
      23 for the FTP port 21.

      Unfortunately, I have tried this and it didn't work the first time
      that I tied it. If anything goes wrong with ED on my machine then the
      whole thing freezez (video driver problems). I haven't had time to
      try it again, I use the easier way for now. The next time I test
      this, I'll set up an FTP server first, BisonFTP is a free FTP server
      for Windows. I should be able to confirm that I can connect by trying
      to FTP to the WAN address from the same PC that is running the FTP
      server. This should work, but I can't get it to work. I can
      connect if I use the private IP address but not the public
      address. I'll send a message to tech support for the router.

      If you are also running a personal firewall (ZoneAlarm) you may need
      to include the IP address of an incoming PC in the list of Local Zone
      addresses.

      General Error,
      living up to my name.