ComT Registation

  • SteveP @attbi
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 20, 2002
      I just joined this group and have some ComT questions.  I'm using
      ComT to run ED across my home network, but it keeps reminding me to
      register my ComT.  I tried to register it and found out it is no
      longer supported and registrations are no longer available.  Will
      ComT expire after the 30 day evaluation (I'd like to know before it
      shuts down on me)?  Does anyone know how to get a registration key
      for ComT?

      The replacement product is Com/IP, but it's $75 per license!  A
      little rich for playing ED when ComT seems to work just fine.

      I have a router between my home network and my local LAN.  Can I make
      a ComT connection thru my router over the Internet and to another
      PC?  I don't understand how another ComT can "dial" into my computer
      because the router hides my local IP addresses.  Maybe I can "dial"
      out to another PC that has a public IP address.  Is there any
      experience on this in the group?  Thanks for any info.

          - SteveP
    • Randy.Rick
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 20, 2002
        Steve,

        I just continue to use the shareware ComT and ignore the unregistered
        message. It never disables the product.

        I don't know of anyone who's been able to get the shareware ComT to
        make connections to multiple remote ED players. Maybe the $75 version
        would work? Could you provide a pointer to it?

        Use of ComT with an ADSL/broadband router. The way mine works is that
        my PC is always IP address 10.0.0.2 and the router gets the DHCP
        assigned IP address from my ISP. There is an obscure set of commands
        I can run to determine what that address is, or I can just send
        myself an email and examine the email header (properties) to tell
        what the router's IP address is (which is what a remote system would
        connect to).

        However, if I am the one to make the connection to the 'other'
        player then he gives me his address and I don't have to worry about
        it.

        Or, turn off the router and use my dialup modem instead of router and
        I can get the IP address from the network box or ipconfig command.

        So, are you ready for a live game of ED?

        Most of the ED players use the ICQ messaging system. My alias there
        is steyrhahn, as it is on Yahoo messsenger.

        steyrhahn

        --- "SteveP @attbi" <spatterson691@...> wrote:
        > I just joined this group and have some ComT questions. I'm using
        > ComT to run ED across my home network, but it keeps reminding me to
        >
        > register my ComT. I tried to register it and found out it is no
        > longer supported and registrations are no longer available. Will
        > ComT expire after the 30 day evaluation (I'd like to know before it
        >
        > shuts down on me)? Does anyone know how to get a registration key
        > for ComT?
        >
        > The replacement product is Com/IP, but it's $75 per license! A
        > little rich for playing ED when ComT seems to work just fine.
        >
        > I have a router between my home network and my local LAN. Can I
        > make
        > a ComT connection thru my router over the Internet and to another
        > PC? I don't understand how another ComT can "dial" into my
        > computer
        > because the router hides my local IP addresses. Maybe I can "dial"
        >
        > out to another PC that has a public IP address. Is there any
        > experience on this in the group? Thanks for any info.
        >
        > - SteveP

        http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com
      • general_error404
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 22, 2002
          Steve,
          The easiest way to get ComT to work behind a router is to dial the
          other player using his IP address.

          You are correct that the router hides your local IP addresses. It
          is difficult, if not impossible for the router to know that you have
          set up a server on your PC. ComT uses the same port as a Telnet
          server, so you can check how your router handles a Telnet server. You
          could also use the instructions for FTP and substitute the telnet port
          23 for the FTP port 21.

          Unfortunately, I have tried this and it didn't work the first time
          that I tied it. If anything goes wrong with ED on my machine then the
          whole thing freezez (video driver problems). I haven't had time to
          try it again, I use the easier way for now. The next time I test
          this, I'll set up an FTP server first, BisonFTP is a free FTP server
          for Windows. I should be able to confirm that I can connect by trying
          to FTP to the WAN address from the same PC that is running the FTP
          server. This should work, but I can't get it to work. I can
          connect if I use the private IP address but not the public
          address. I'll send a message to tech support for the router.

          If you are also running a personal firewall (ZoneAlarm) you may need
          to include the IP address of an incoming PC in the list of Local Zone
          addresses.

          General Error,
          living up to my name.