Re: [empire-deluxe] Empire-like games?

  • terry
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 6, 2002
      The screen shots look interesting, but they make it look like the maps are
      very small, how large can the maps be? and can you play multi-player over
      the internet?

      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 6, 2002

        I tried the demo of Strategic Command a few days ago.  The game engine is nice and would, in fact, be a very good model for an empire-building game.  However, according to posts on their forums by the game designer, there are no plans for a map editor.  There is a scenario editor, but not a map one.

        Which leaves the only option: fighting over the map of Europe, with historical borders.  One can mess around with some "what if" scenarios, but that's about it.  The full intention of the game is to model WWII in Europe.

        **sigh**....as a WWII simulation, I don't think much of this game.  As the next step up from ED as a generic empire-builder, it would be almost perfect.....

        As I was thinking about this last night instead of sleeping, my feeble memory got out of its own way long enough to remember that there is a boardgame much like ED.  I played it a couple times about a year ago.  After a little web searching, I found it.  It's called "Victory" and it's made by Columbia Games.  There are wooden blocks used and they are turned to one of the 4 sides to indicate unit strength.  A pretty good game...here's a website you can check out for some info about it:

        No sign of a computer PBEM hack yet, but maybe someday....

        Cheers!
        Jason
        www.jaysbrewing.com
        (703) 298-4705

        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 6, 2002
          Advance Wars is for the hand held Game Boy Advance. I haven't heard of a
          Gamecube version.

          Excellent game. Very Empire like but with a rock-scissors-paper mentality
          at times. Lot's of scenarios, multiplayer and even a map editor. Great for
          airplane rides.

          Chris

          > >What other games are out there that are similar but updated? >I like the
          generic, empire-building structure of ED. Most good
          > >wargames (TOAW comes to mind) are great for certain SIMULATIONS, but
          > >not for generic army bashing. There are space games (which aren't my
          > >cup of tea), there are fantasy games (which are sometimes OK), but
          > >there don't seem to be many Crank-out-the-units-and-fight WWII-era
          > >games after ED.
          > >

          > If you have a Nintendo GameCube, or have thought about getting a game
          console, get the GameCube and then get a game called "Advance Wars."
          Believe it or not, this is a deep, complex turn-based strategy game that is
          very much like ED. It even sports 4-player multiplayer and a map editor.
          Check it out at Nintendo's website, or see the review at gamespot.com.

          > -- MaX

        • Robert Avery
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 6, 2002

            Has anybody heard of, played Battles of Destiny?  BOD is very similar to ED, but with more units and more terrain.  I started playing ED more than 12 years ago and BOD several years ago.  I mostly play ED and sometimes BOD.  You may want to search the web for maps and scenarios.  I found many people have created some great maps and scenarios.  Try playing the Star Trek (either TOS or TNG) map/scenario.  Personally I think Mark Baldwin / White Wolf and company could make an updated version with more types of units, terrains, etc.  How difficult could it be to make an air-transport that could land and take off without a city - just one of many kind of improvements that would easy to implement and I know many of you have other great ideas.

            Later,

            Do You Yahoo!?
          • Matthias
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 6, 2002
              Robert Avery wrote:

              > Has anybody heard of, played Battles of Destiny? BOD is very similar
              > to ED, but with more units and more terrain. I started playing ED
              > more than 12 years ago and BOD several years ago. I mostly play ED
              > and sometimes BOD. You may want to search the web for maps and
              > scenarios. I found many people have created some great maps and
              > scenarios. Try playing the Star Trek (either TOS or TNG)
              > map/scenario. Personally I think Mark Baldwin / White Wolf and
              > company could make an updated version with more types of units,
              > terrains, etc. How difficult could it be to make an air-transport
              > that could land and take off without a city - just one of many kind of
              > improvements that would easy to implement and I know many of you have
              > other great ideas.

              Sometimes I've wished for that kind of unit but it would make inland
              cities too easy to capture. There are fewer pleasures in ED better than
              establishing a beachhead then slowing grinding your way into the
              interior of a hostile continent. *sigh*
            • gcjcdc@aol.com
              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 6, 2002
                Another guy and I once tried using Civilization 2 as a pbem game.  The game itself is very nice with a black world for exploring, the ability to build different units (that become more advanced as 'time' advances), and the winner is the one who controls most of the world.  It is a lot better then ED in these respects, but it was not designed as a pbem game.

                You can kind of use it as a pbem game by sending its auto save flies back and forth but it is quite awkward since you receive your opponents reports.  With just a few changes to let you get your own reports I think Civ 2 would be a great pbem game.  I even emailed Microprose (the maker) about that, but that went no where.  This was a few years ago...maybe a newer version of Civilization is better for pbem.  Anyone know about that?

                Weatherman
              • Chris Boddy
                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 11, 2002
                  Yes i've played Battles of Destiny.
                  Great game.
                  Gotta love the artillery unit in that game, although
                  the cruise missle things are unstoppable.
                  Ships are worthless against a cruise missle army.

                  http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com