[empire-deluxe] Re: eGroups and Empire Deluxe

  • Charles Havranek
    Message 1 of 8 , May 10, 1999
      check www.xde.net/empire for tactics

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: <Giblets683@...>
      To: <empire-deluxe@egroups.com>
      Sent: Sunday, May 09, 1999 9:31 PM
      Subject: [empire-deluxe] Re: eGroups and Empire Deluxe

      > Ok now I'm just itchin for somebodey to play me.... I've tried to get in
      > several games and no one ever e-mails me back! and where the heck am i
      > ssupposed to look for a good book on tactics???? By the way I'm just
      about
      > 16 so if anyone doesn't like that... don't play me! Thanks everyone!
      >
      > Matt

      > The Weather Underground. We provide weather across the world.
      > Visit http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/48
      >

      > eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/group/empire-deluxe
      > http://www.eGroups.com - Simplifying group communications

      eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/group/empire-deluxe
    • Challenger
      Message 2 of 8 , May 12, 1999
        Here you go Charles.

        Its the scenerio Big Earth game. There's just two human players and 4 AI.
        Production and combat efectiveness is set at max for faster play.

        Message 3 of 8 , May 15, 1999
          Sorry for the traffic on the list but I can't respond to challengers request
          for a game. Looks like his ISP filters his mail for him and I need to be
          added as an authorized user to send mail to him???? That's a new one to me.

          Error 571 Mail from xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx refused, see
          http://welcome.golden.net/error571.shtml, see ...
          You have been directed to this page because an email that you had sent to a
          user of Golden Triangle On Line was rejected. All of our users have the
          opt-out ability for our filtering methods and the user you have tried
          contacting has chosen not to opt-out at this point. The message was
          rejected because the mail server that you use to send your outgoing email is
          listed on one of the following (refer to the "see ..." part of the rejection
          line):

          MAPS RBL
          http://maps.vix.com/rbl To become listed on MAPS RBL a company must
          demonstrate no concern when dealing with spam issues. The ISP must refuse
          to take action against users who spam from their system. Usually multiple
          attempts to contact the ISP are met with a lack of action and/or blatant
          refusal to do anything. This is when a system is added.
          MAPS DUL
          http://maps.vix.com/dul This listing adds many ip addresses for dial up
          connections for ISPs all over the world. 99% of the time there is no need
          for a dial up connection to connect to another ISP's mail server to deliver
          the mail to their system. That is why ISP's maintain mail servers.
          Typically this direct connection is a tactic used by spammers to avoid
          detection and that is why this listing is highly valuable.
          ORBS
          http://www.orbs.org This list is comprised of open relays. An open relay is
          a mail server located on the internet which allows anyone, anywhere to send
          as much mail as they like through their system for them to distribute to the
          intended addresses. Open relays are responsible for delivering more than
          80% of spam. This makes this listing highly valuable as well.
          IMRSS DSSL
          http://www.imrss.org/dssl DSSL contains a slightly more comprehensive
          listing of patterns for dial up connections. For example, if a dial up
          connection tries to connect to our mail server, it would resolve to a name
          which would compare with a pattern list of dial up names of many ISPs. If
          it matches then direct mail delivery is denied, similar to MAPS DUL.

          What should I do now?

          The first thing you should do is contact your Internet Provider and/or
          system administrator. Provide them with this URL and a copy of the rejected
          message that you received. Your Internet Provider and/or system
          administrator can and should correct the problem so that you may be able to
          send mail to systems running these lists again.

          How long should it take?

          Once you have provided the information to your ISP and/or systems
          administrator, they can be removed from the list in as little as 2 hours
          after they have corrected the problem. At this point you will be able to
          communicate with any and all users who protect themselves with these lists.

          Are you the only ISP doing this?

          No. Depending on the list we may there may more than 10,000 server
          protected using any one of these methods, which would protect millions of
          email addresses. There is no accurate tally because the use of any of the
          above services is freely available to anyone.

          What if my ISP and/or system administrator will not, or says they cannot fix
          their server?

          If your ISP and/or system administrator is unwilling to, or say they cannot
          fix their server it is recommended that you have them contact
          abuse@... with the IP address of the server in question. At Golden
          Triangle On Line we have taken great care in building a fully flexible
          system which also has the ability to exclude certain IP addresses.

          Will I be able to send email to your users once they have sent you an email
          with the server's IP address?

          Once we have made the local exclusion, yes. However, should we set an
          exclusion for the IP address of the server and receive spam through it, we
          will remove the exclusion, at which point the only way to have our server
          accept mail from the server that is listed would be to follow the guidelines
          required by the list maintainer at the respective site as indicated above.

          Message 4 of 8 , May 15, 1999
            Sorry again but seems to be the only way for me to send email to Challenger.

            Challenger I would raise hell with your internet service provider. They are
            using a service where the sender has to be listed with the DSSL to send an
            email to your ISP. I don't know who this DSSL organization is but I'm
            basically begging to have them add my domain so I can send you a game turn.
            Hopefully it'll get done soon so I can take you up on your game.

            Charles