[empire-deluxe] Re: eGroups and Empire Deluxe

  • AllanKidd@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , May 10, 1999
      Jason, I appreciated your comments on playing. I agree. Also I am always
      interested in new scenarios which are difficult to find these days. Could I
      talk you into sending your scenarios to me? Regards, Allan Kidd

      eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/group/empire-deluxe
    • Charles Havranek
      Message 2 of 8 , May 10, 1999
        check www.xde.net/empire for tactics

        Message 3 of 8 , May 12, 1999
          Here you go Charles.

          Its the scenerio Big Earth game. There's just two human players and 4 AI.
          Production and combat efectiveness is set at max for faster play.

          Message 4 of 8 , May 15, 1999
            Sorry for the traffic on the list but I can't respond to challengers request
            for a game. Looks like his ISP filters his mail for him and I need to be
            added as an authorized user to send mail to him???? That's a new one to me.

            Error 571 Mail from xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx refused, see
            http://welcome.golden.net/error571.shtml, see ...
            You have been directed to this page because an email that you had sent to a
            user of Golden Triangle On Line was rejected. All of our users have the
            opt-out ability for our filtering methods and the user you have tried
            contacting has chosen not to opt-out at this point. The message was
            rejected because the mail server that you use to send your outgoing email is
            listed on one of the following (refer to the "see ..." part of the rejection
            line):

            MAPS RBL
            http://maps.vix.com/rbl To become listed on MAPS RBL a company must
            demonstrate no concern when dealing with spam issues. The ISP must refuse
            to take action against users who spam from their system. Usually multiple
            attempts to contact the ISP are met with a lack of action and/or blatant
            refusal to do anything. This is when a system is added.
            MAPS DUL
            http://maps.vix.com/dul This listing adds many ip addresses for dial up
            connections for ISPs all over the world. 99% of the time there is no need
            for a dial up connection to connect to another ISP's mail server to deliver
            the mail to their system. That is why ISP's maintain mail servers.
            Typically this direct connection is a tactic used by spammers to avoid
            detection and that is why this listing is highly valuable.
            ORBS
            http://www.orbs.org This list is comprised of open relays. An open relay is
            a mail server located on the internet which allows anyone, anywhere to send
            as much mail as they like through their system for them to distribute to the
            intended addresses. Open relays are responsible for delivering more than
            80% of spam. This makes this listing highly valuable as well.
            IMRSS DSSL
            http://www.imrss.org/dssl DSSL contains a slightly more comprehensive
            listing of patterns for dial up connections. For example, if a dial up
            connection tries to connect to our mail server, it would resolve to a name
            which would compare with a pattern list of dial up names of many ISPs. If
            it matches then direct mail delivery is denied, similar to MAPS DUL.

            What should I do now?

            The first thing you should do is contact your Internet Provider and/or
            system administrator. Provide them with this URL and a copy of the rejected
            message that you received. Your Internet Provider and/or system
            administrator can and should correct the problem so that you may be able to
            send mail to systems running these lists again.

            How long should it take?

            Once you have provided the information to your ISP and/or systems
            administrator, they can be removed from the list in as little as 2 hours
            after they have corrected the problem. At this point you will be able to
            communicate with any and all users who protect themselves with these lists.

            Are you the only ISP doing this?

            No. Depending on the list we may there may more than 10,000 server
            protected using any one of these methods, which would protect millions of
            email addresses. There is no accurate tally because the use of any of the
            above services is freely available to anyone.

            What if my ISP and/or system administrator will not, or says they cannot fix
            their server?

            If your ISP and/or system administrator is unwilling to, or say they cannot
            fix their server it is recommended that you have them contact
            abuse@... with the IP address of the server in question. At Golden
            Triangle On Line we have taken great care in building a fully flexible
            system which also has the ability to exclude certain IP addresses.

            Will I be able to send email to your users once they have sent you an email
            with the server's IP address?

            Once we have made the local exclusion, yes. However, should we set an
            exclusion for the IP address of the server and receive spam through it, we
            will remove the exclusion, at which point the only way to have our server
            accept mail from the server that is listed would be to follow the guidelines
            required by the list maintainer at the respective site as indicated above.

            Message 5 of 8 , May 15, 1999
              Sorry again but seems to be the only way for me to send email to Challenger.

              Challenger I would raise hell with your internet service provider. They are
              using a service where the sender has to be listed with the DSSL to send an
              email to your ISP. I don't know who this DSSL organization is but I'm
              basically begging to have them add my domain so I can send you a game turn.
              Hopefully it'll get done soon so I can take you up on your game.

              Charles