capital ships to protect cities

  • David M. Bott
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 13, 2002
      At 11:15 PM 3/13/2002 +0000, you wrote:
      > Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 12:41:42 -0800 (PST)
      > From: Chris Boddy <boddy27@...>
      >Subject: Re: Empire Deluxe Strategy Guide
      >
      >The only strategy needed is to put cruisers or
      >battleships in captures cities.........infantry can'
      >take over the cities that way.

      This is a decent strategy, so long as it's not taken too far.

      FYI, a bomber or fighter attacking a city will have a 50/50 chance of
      taking out any unit in a city if the computer decides the craft is hitting
      a unit, not the city production. An aircraft attacking the city has a
      50/50 chance of attacking the city production or attacking a unit in the
      city (if an enemy unit is there). If the computer decides the plane is
      attacking a unit, then one of the units stacked in the city is randomly
      chosen. But once the unit is chosen the plane has a 50/50 chance of
      destroying the unit, regardless of unit type.

      This means that a battleship or cruiser by itself in a city is quite
      vulnerable to aerial attacks. Also, an armor unit that has a path that
      includes clear terrain to a city can move in and attack without the capital
      ship affecting the battle (I realize you mentioned infantry only).

      So before you decide to commit a major resource like a capital ship to the
      defense of a city:

      1. make sure the city is key to your empire and needs such resources.
      2. consider keeping at least 1 or 2 fighters in the city with the capital
      ship to patrol for armor heading in (to allow your ship to escape if
      needed) and to protect against aerial attacks.

      Dave