Empire Deluxe Strategy Guide

  • Robert Avery
    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 13, 2002
      Hello Empire Deluxe Players,

      I have been playing Empire Deluxe for over 10 years.
      I started with the DOS version and now I am using the
      Windows version. I was searching the Internet for
      detailed info on how Empire Deluxe works. Specifically
      strategy and tactics. I was told there is a book
      called "Empire Deluxe Strategy Guide". The online
      book stores, Amazon and BookPool as well as eBay, do
      not list this book.

      Does anyone know where I can find or buy this book?

      Thanks in advance for your help.
      Bob
      :-)

      http://mail.yahoo.com/
    • Yong Park
      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 13, 2002
        I have a copy but I think the book is out of print.
        You may see this on E-bay once in a while.

        --- Robert Avery <javaknight1@...> wrote:
        > Hello Empire Deluxe Players,
        >
        > I have been playing Empire Deluxe for over 10 years.
        >
        > I started with the DOS version and now I am using
        > the
        > Windows version. I was searching the Internet for
        > detailed info on how Empire Deluxe works.
        > Specifically
        > strategy and tactics. I was told there is a book
        > called "Empire Deluxe Strategy Guide". The online
        > book stores, Amazon and BookPool as well as eBay, do
        > not list this book.
        >
        > Does anyone know where I can find or buy this book?
        >
        > Thanks in advance for your help.
        > Bob
        > :-)

        > Try FREE Yahoo! Mail - the world's greatest free
        > email!
        > http://mail.yahoo.com/

        http://mail.yahoo.com/
      • Uwe Schmidt
        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 13, 2002
          > I have a copy but I think the book is out of print.
          > You may see this on E-bay once in a while.

          Hi Yong Park and other owners of this Book!

          I am curious: What is the book about? Does it reveal the way the A.I. works?
          Can you tell us a little about it?

          Thanks

          Uwe
        • spud@moorandsouth.com
          Message 4 of 17 , Mar 13, 2002
            They are hard to get.

            I picked up a copy on E-bay about a year ago. While I do not check
            regularly, I have seen another copy being auctioned off since then.

            Spud

            Message 5 of 17 , Mar 13, 2002
              The only strategy needed is to put cruisers or
              battleships in captures cities.........infantry can'
              take over the cities that way.

              If you're playing the game with armor then all you
              need is to keep either armor or bombers around to take
              out other armor

              http://mail.yahoo.com/
            • Yong Park
              Message 6 of 17 , Mar 13, 2002
                Actually, it does have a section about AI logic
                statements and how the CPU acts. Obviously, no codes
                were presented here. It is very interestsing to see
                that scenarios that came with ED was to be used with
                this book.
                --- Uwe Schmidt <uwschmidt@...> wrote:

                > > I have a copy but I think the book is out of
                > print.
                > > You may see this on E-bay once in a while.
                >
                > Hi Yong Park and other owners of this Book!
                >
                > I am curious: What is the book about? Does it reveal
                > the way the A.I. works?
                > Can you tell us a little about it?
                >
                > Thanks
                >
                > Uwe

                http://mail.yahoo.com/
              • Matthias
                Message 7 of 17 , Mar 13, 2002
                  Chris Boddy wrote:

                  >The only strategy needed is to put cruisers or
                  >battleships in captures cities.........infantry can'
                  >take over the cities that way.

                  You need one capital ship for every two land squares adjacent to the
                  city. If you have any clear land squares adjacent, you also better hope
                  you can take out any armor units which stop two squares away from the
                  city. This can be alleviated with air units (which can at least cripple
                  the armor units and allow the moored cap ships to finish them off) or an
                  additional cap ship sitting offshore, if your city lies on an isthmus or
                  peninsula.At any rate, cities are more vulnerable to sea attack than
                  land attack IMHO. One can stage transports in the same way as staging
                  armor above so that they aren't detected by the city until the transport
                  is ready to move in and invade. This doesn't work if there is any
                  appreciable air or sea defense of course, but will give you the city
                  quickly if you're playing against the computer.

                  >If you're playing the game with armor then all you
                  >need is to keep either armor or bombers around to take
                  >out other armor

                  Besides all these, oh there are other little strategies one can do
                  besides these. These are very important for holding cities, though.
                • Chris Boddy
                  Message 8 of 17 , Mar 13, 2002
                    I enjoy the old gameplay, or the standard rules, over
                    the new ones ED allows. I don't like bombmers and
                    armor, I like the old, straight up fights.

                    http://mail.yahoo.com/
                    Message 9 of 17 , Mar 13, 2002
                      On very rare occassions I've seen them on Ebay but not often. It's been
                      out of print since it came out, really (1993 according to my copy). The ISBN
                      is 1-55958-324-x if that helps....

                      =============================
                      Steven Woodcock
                      From the High, Cold, Snowy Mountains of Colorado

                      Message 10 of 17 , Mar 13, 2002
                        It's pretty much what it says....a strategy guide. Talks about how to
                        play and how the options work, how to set up multiplayer games (email,
                        hotseat, or network), etc. There's some design and strategy stuff in the
                        back, including a bit about the AI, but nothing really detailed, and nothing
                        at all about the structure of any of the data files. <sigh>

                        =============================
                        Steven Woodcock
                        From the High, Cold, Snowy Mountains of Colorado

                        Message 11 of 17 , Mar 13, 2002
                          I asked Baldwin once and he said there weren't any cheat codes or
                          anything like that...

                          =============================
                          Steven Woodcock
                          From the High, Cold, Snowy Mountains of Colorado

                          > Actually, it does have a section about AI logic
                          > statements and how the CPU acts. Obviously, no codes
                          > were presented here. It is very interestsing to see
                          > that scenarios that came with ED was to be used with
                          > this book.
                          > --- Uwe Schmidt <uwschmidt@...> wrote:
                          > >

                          > > > I have a copy but I think the book is out of
                          > > print.
                          > > > You may see this on E-bay once in a while.
                          > >
                          > > Hi Yong Park and other owners of this Book!
                          > >
                          > > I am curious: What is the book about? Does it reveal
                          > > the way the A.I. works?
                          > > Can you tell us a little about it?
                          > >
                          > > Thanks
                          > >
                          > > Uwe

                        • Andrew Platfoot
                          Message 12 of 17 , Mar 14, 2002
                            Hi

                            With regard to the save file system (.SVG), I did try
                            and unravel it when I was playing with the Java
                            GEMpire version. It would appear the file is
                            encrypted, although you can recognize structure since
                            major sections have a clear text header, which
                            presumably allows quick loading.

                            The cipher is numeric and changes randomly. By that I
                            mean a number is used to offset ASCII names and
                            possibly numeric values like production efficiency.
                            This number is clearly somewhere in the early section
                            of the file or tucked under a header. Thus you can
                            load and save the same game without change over and
                            over and the files will be different. The structure is
                            the same and some parts are recognizable, but the
                            encoding is different.

                            If you change a character in say a city name, the file
                            is corrupted and will not load. This made it
                            impossible to develop a Java parallel.

                            I know some folks like the game as is, but it would be
                            nice to patch the AI to clear out some silly decisions
                            it makes like endlessly re attacking a lost city, or
                            being able to stage multiple sea borne attacks.

                            It might also be nice to add some new units to allow
                            the player to decide on whether to invest in a
                            battleship, or a cheaper battle cruiser which is heavy
                            gunned but lightly armored or a cheap light escort
                            carrier versus the normal fleet carrier for exploring
                            during the early part of the game and for protecting
                            transports.

                            Note I am suggesting there is anything wrong with ED
                            or that I want to try and invent a new game. Nor
                            would I want wholesale changes to be made. I did try
                            some of the add on to Total Annihilation and the game
                            became a mess. I was merely interested in tuning and
                            developing minor options to make the choices broader
                            and thus strategically more significant.

                            Has anyone lese looked inside the files and programs
                            and made any interesting discoveries?

                            Cheers

                            AP

                            - Vote for your nominees in our online Oscars pool.
                          • Uwe Schmidt
                            Message 13 of 17 , Mar 14, 2002
                              Andrew Platfoot schrieb:

                              > With regard to the save file system (.SVG), [...]
                              >
                              > Has anyone lese looked inside the files and programs
                              > and made any interesting discoveries?

                              Yes, there were the usual instructions how to change things using a hex
                              editor in a gaming magazine in the early nineties. The one example was to
                              reduce the production time for a certain unit in a certain city, if I
                              remember correctly. So if you don't find anything about it in any on the
                              cheat- websites, it is probably possible to find it out again.
                            • Matthias
                              Message 14 of 17 , Mar 14, 2002
                                Andrew Platfoot wrote:

                                >Note I am suggesting there is anything wrong with ED
                                >or that I want to try and invent a new game. Nor
                                >would I want wholesale changes to be made. I did try
                                >some of the add on to Total Annihilation and the game
                                >became a mess. I was merely interested in tuning and
                                >developing minor options to make the choices broader
                                >and thus strategically more significant.

                                Speaking of Total Annihilation, did you ever try the Uberhack? It was
                                designed to enhance TA just for those purposes.

                                If I had to give up ED, my next choice for strategy games would be TA +
                                Uberhack.
                              • zedzardoz
                                Message 15 of 17 , Mar 14, 2002
                                  Since the "Empire Deluxe Strategy Guide" is hard to find, perhaps
                                  someone here who has it would be good enough to scan in the relevant
                                  pages and post them for us here?

                                  Regards,
                                  General ZarDoZ
                                • Andrew Platfoot
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Mar 14, 2002
                                    Hi

                                    No I gave up went back to the straight game. One new
                                    unit I tried was some super duper plane. Just built a
                                    fleet of them and blow everything to hell and back.
                                    Not a lot of fun.

                                    I might dig it out though and try again.

                                    AP

                                    --- Matthias <xeno_mls@...> wrote: > Andrew

                                    Message 17 of 17 , Mar 15, 2002
                                      Andrew Platfoot wrote:

                                      >Hi
                                      >
                                      >No I gave up went back to the straight game. One new
                                      >unit I tried was some super duper plane. Just built a
                                      >fleet of them and blow everything to hell and back.
                                      >Not a lot of fun.
                                      >
                                      >I might dig it out though and try again.

                                      Hmm ... that doesn't sound like any new Uberhack unit I've ever seen.
                                      Was it a seaplane? Which version of the Uberhack were you playing?