everyone should post names on this board!

  • Surly Facebusta
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 29, 2002
      go into the database and put your name and icq# in =] with all the people
      here nobody is on the list!?! p.s my icq # 143702014 i'm up for any online
      game!

      >From: "sschu1973" <SSchu1973@...>
      >To: empire-deluxe@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: [empire-deluxe] Looking for players
      >Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 22:54:48 -0000
      >
      >Hi everybody,
      >
      >I am looking for players to install something like an World-ED-
      >League. Is anybody interested in? I think it would be very nice to
      >play a leaguebased championship and maybe it is possible to install
      >more leagues with promotions and relegations. Good idea or not?
      >
      >Greetings
      >
      >Stefan
      >
      >P.S.: I know that there are K.O.-based-Championships but my goal is
      >to install a permanent league.

    • Randy.Rick
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 1, 2002
        This may have been discussed elsewhere, but I thought I'd ask..

        According to the file remote.txt that comes with ED, there is the
        implication that more than two people can play an interactive game.

        Is that possible? Have you done it? using comt? direct modem? how?

        Thanks
        Steyrhahn aka M1912

        http://auctions.yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 1, 2002
          It's totally possible. I've done it with six players on both COMT and a
          combination of modem/direct connect.

          The hard part with modem/direct connect is having sufficient numbers of
          COM ports. In my case I had to buy a separate card (perhaps $10) and
          reconfigure it to allow for new ports. That let me run one player on my
          machine, tell the computer about the other 4, and one of THOSE had another
          guy hanging off of him.

          Once we got it working it worked like a champ. If it isn't configured
          right it kinda locks up while sending initialization data.

          For the record I asked Rakowsky (who did the serial port code) about it
          and he was a little surprised anybody had ever actually *done* it....he
          tossed it in more out of completeness and because he had a ton of machines
          himself more than anything else.

          > This may have been discussed elsewhere, but I thought I'd ask..
          >
          > According to the file remote.txt that comes with ED, there is the
          > implication that more than two people can play an interactive game.
          >
          > Is that possible? Have you done it? using comt? direct modem? how?
          >
          > Thanks
          > Steyrhahn aka M1912

        • Randy.Rick
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 1, 2002
            Steven,

            How do you set up the Player types in ED?

            Mine only has an option for COM4 and NET?

            Randy aka steyrhahn

            --- Steven Woodcock <swoodcoc@...> wrote:
            > It's totally possible. I've done it with six players on both
            > COMT and a
            > combination of modem/direct connect.
            >
            > The hard part with modem/direct connect is having sufficient
            > numbers of
            > COM ports. In my case I had to buy a separate card (perhaps $10)
            > and
            > reconfigure it to allow for new ports. That let me run one player
            > on my
            > machine, tell the computer about the other 4, and one of THOSE had
            > another
            > guy hanging off of him.
            >
            > Once we got it working it worked like a champ. If it isn't
            > configured
            > right it kinda locks up while sending initialization data.
            >
            > For the record I asked Rakowsky (who did the serial port code)
            > about it
            > and he was a little surprised anybody had ever actually *done*
            > it....he
            > tossed it in more out of completeness and because he had a ton of
            > machines
            > himself more than anything else.
            >

            > Steve

            http://auctions.yahoo.com
          • Arnold Larson
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 1, 2002
              ED supports NetBios, which is essentially obsolete (right along with Windows
              3.11), so if you know what you are doing you can play it on a local network
              with up to 6 people. It does not support TCPIP or IPX, so that leaves you
              with direct and modem connections.

              It will support more than one connection though, so if you have a modem and
              a cable modem, you should be able to play with 3 people. You will need COMt
              for the one on the cable modem.

              Arne

              >From: "Randy.Rick" <steyrhahn@...>
              >To: empire-deluxe@yahoogroups.com
              >Subject: [empire-deluxe] Three or more in interactive game??
              >Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2002 15:38:30 -0800 (PST)
              >
              >This may have been discussed elsewhere, but I thought I'd ask..
              >
              >According to the file remote.txt that comes with ED, there is the
              >implication that more than two people can play an interactive game.
              >
              >Is that possible? Have you done it? using comt? direct modem? how?
              >
              >Thanks
              >Steyrhahn aka M1912

            • Andrew Nick
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 1, 2002
                Steven Woodcock wrote:
                     It's totally possible. I've done it with six players on both COMT and a
                combination of modem/direct connect.
                YOU are and Empire GOD, Woodcock!  I'm coming over to YOUR place!

                --
                LFDS,

                Andrew Nick
                "The Ayatollah of Chumpola"
                isthatthedoor?areyouwearingawire?
                http://members.shaw.ca/anick

                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 1, 2002
                  There isn't a "Net" option. There is a PBM option.

                  When you set up Empire you can tell it what ports remote players can be
                  on...COM1, COM2, COM3, and COM4 are all options. If your default Empire
                  "new game" doesn't allow for that you need to set it with the "econfig.exe"
                  setup program (which comes with Empire).

                  =============================
                  Steven Woodcock
                  From the High, Cold, Snowy Mountains of Colorado

                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 1, 2002
                    Arne's right; using COMT you can set up for over-the-Internet play too.

                    =============================
                    Steven Woodcock
                    From the High, Cold, Snowy Mountains of Colorado

                    Message 9 of 11 , Feb 1, 2002
                          Heh....

                          We did this out of necessity more than anything else. We all had just gotten PCs and were quite enamored of the idea of playing these games against each other...ED was one of the first to make it possible.

                      =============================
                      Steven Woodcock
                      From the High, Cold, Snowy Mountains of Colorado
                      Message 10 of 11 , Feb 1, 2002
                        Hi Guys,

                        I have my Empire Delux set up on Windows XP only trouble is I
                        does not recognise that I have a wave file driver do I get no battle
                        noises and "I love the sound of battle noises in the morning"
                        Anyone know a fix ??

                        Regards Roy...

                        .. Thought for the day..

                        When God who created the entire Universe with all
                        of it's glories
                        decides to deliver a message to humanity, he will
                        not use, as his
                        messenger , a person on Cable TV with a bad
                        hairstyle

                        Website
                        www.arveeontheweb.com
                      • Randy.Rick
                        Message 11 of 11 , Feb 3, 2002
                          Steve, Arnie, or others who have made this work....

                          Tryed it today with two other players.

                          My econfig is set up to allow com1 or com2 or com4 for a remote
                          connection.

                          I run comT and enable com1 and com4

                          I set up an ED game for local plus two remotes as com1 and com4

                          It asks me for my local user name & password - per normal
                          [normal being a 2 player interactive]
                          It asks whether player com1 should be be dialed. I enter the ip
                          address and comT shows a blue start next to that port indicating a
                          connection.

                          However, I never get that same sequence of menu choices for the
                          second remote player.

                          fter three tries of much the same thing, we gave up and two of us
                          played a game with the third not able to join in.

                          Steyrhahn

                          http://auctions.yahoo.com