Re: [empire-deluxe] Keeping ED alive

  • Christopher Marshall
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 10, 2002
      I wonder if ED for windows would run under WINE (the windows emulator for Linux).

      The interesting thing about that is that WINE emulates windows at the system call level, so all of
      the device layer and lower stuff is handeled by Linux. This has a couple of interesting effects,
      one of which is that you get around the problem of older operating systems not being able to run
      on modern hardware. WINE has the ability to emulate the win3.1, win95, win98, and winNT system
      call environment.

      I wonder if WINE isn't the best answer (when it works) for legacy software running on recent
      hardware.

      I don't know when I'll have time to try this out are report back, or if I will. If I do, however,
      I'll be sure to let y'all know about it.

      Chris Marshall

      Send FREE video emails in Yahoo! Mail!
      http://promo.yahoo.com/videomail/
    • Surly Facebusta
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 10, 2002
        what to play live ED sometime? my icq # is 143702014 please let me know
        thanks, Justin

        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 10, 2002
          I'm running the same configuration, except Windows 98 (with patches).
          Works like a champ.

          I've actually been pretty lucky that I've managed to avoid the various
          problems so many others have had with updates and upgrades. Let this
          continue; so mote it be.

          Steven Woodcock
          From the High, Cold, Snowy Mountains of Colorado
          http://www.gameai.com