Re: Conversion tool

  • theferretman
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 31, 2001
      --- In empire-deluxe@y..., slaughtrsg@a... wrote:

      > Heck, while we're at it, why doesn't someone just make a
      >new Empire Deluxe?

      Good idea, but I think *they* (the owners of the game, which I
      guess
      is whoever owns New World's assets) don't think it'll sell....

      Bunbury
      From the High, Cold, Snowy Mountains of Colorado
    • Arnold Larson
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 1, 2002
        Actually, Empire (version 1.x) is owned by Walter Bright and Empire Deluxe
        (version 3.x) is owned by Mark Baldwin and Bob Rakowsky.

        If you wanted to do version 4 you would actually need to get agreement from
        all three of them and probably also from 3DO (the owners of New World
        Computing). Anybody have a few (30 or 40) thousand dollars just lying
        around? :)

        Arne

        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 1, 2002
          Couldn't a new version of ED be far enough from ED in name and in the details
          to be considered its own game, from a legal standpoint?
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 1, 2002
            Good question. There was that old "Battles of Destiny" game that was
            basically "Empire Deluxe Mk. II" and they never got sued. I know from
            talking to Baldwin a couple of years back that he was amazed at the
            similarities between the games but didn't get too worried over the other
            details (he'd been paid and no longer had any particular legal interests one
            way or the other).

            Personally I think if one strayed too far from Empire then it wouldn't
            be Empire....

            =============================
            Steven Woodcock
            From the High, Cold, Snowy Mountains of Colorado

            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 2, 2002
              Make a game that has cities that produce things, where you have to explore
              the world and then conquer it. I think it would work. Maybe you should call
              it Civilization. :)

              Warbucs is an example of a relatively simple derivation of Empire, but I
              expect that Roto is losing money when you count the cost of his website.
              GEMpire needs work. Neither of them is likely to be sued, but, if you
              actually wanted to call it Empire Deluxe, you would need to acquire rights
              from the authors.

              Arne