[empire-deluxe] Empire win95 error

  • swimmrdave@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 19, 1999
      I just got a copy of ED from someone, but when i start a new game or scenario and it prompts me for my name, my computer tells me that the program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down. the specific error is a General Protection Fault with the file DIBENG.DLL. if anyone can tell me whats wrong with it and how i can fix it i would greatly appreciate it.

      eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/empire-deluxe
    • Bob Jackson
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 19, 1999
        swimmrdave@... wrote:

        > I just got a copy of ED from someone, but when i start a new game or scenario and it prompts me for my name, my computer tells me that the program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down. the specific error is a General Protection Fault with the file DIBENG.DLL. if anyone can tell me whats wrong with it and how i can fix it i would greatly appreciate it.

        This has come up before, if I remember correctly it has to do
        with having an incompatible graphics accelerator. Searc the archives
        and you'll probably find the answer.

        --
        Bob Jackson bobnjudy@.sierranet.onthedottedlinenet

        "These are indeed harsh times for the dim." - jott@...
        To reply, cut on the dotted line

        eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/empire-deluxe
      • Andy Young
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 19, 1999
          I should say that this is part of the piracy protection scheme that was built into Empire Deluxe, but I will assume that the someone that you got the copy from is no longer using it.

          Are you running ED for Windows on Win 95 with ATI 3D Rage, if so read
          on:

          ED does not like the ATI 3D Rage drivers, see
          http://support.atitech.ca/infobase/2950.html
          I fixed mine by installing W95-2278 from
          http://support.atitech.ca/drivers/win95-16bit.html
          I still have the problem when I run 1024x768x16bit, so I do a quick
          switch to 800x600x256color to play ED.  When I do this, other active
          programs (Netscape, paint) switch to 256 colours.  They stay there until

          I close them, switch to 1024x768x16bit, and start them again.

          swimmrdave@... wrote:

          I just got a copy of ED from someone, but when i start a new game or scenario and it prompts me for my name, my computer tells me that the program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down.  the specific error is a General Protection Fault with the file DIBENG.DLL.  if anyone can tell me whats wrong with it and how i can fix it i would greatly appreciate it.

          eGroups.comeGroups eLerts!
          Exclusive discounts on the latest health & nutrition products
          Click Here to Join Now!
          eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/empire-deluxe

          Andy Young, aka GeneralError
          Ottawa, Ontario, Canada