Introduction

  • Dave Seagraves
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 4, 2001
      Hello. I'm a long-time Empire Deluxe player. I've been playing
      Empire ever since I picked up a copy of the text-only version while
      working at Steve Jackson Games many years ago. (One night Steve and I
      stayed up all night long playing Empire . . . me upstairs and him
      downstairs on the fast computer. I finally left at 9am and he was
      still conquering away!) I didn't even hear about the 2nd Edition
      until after Empire Deluxe came out and I read about it in the strategy
      guide, and I picked up ED as soon as it came out.
      I haven't played for a couple of years now, but just yesterday I
      fired it up again to play a small game, and now I'm looking to give a
      multiplayer game a try. Anyone currently have an opening that needs
      filling?

      Over the years I've used the scenario editor to create a few new
      maps and scenarios. I'll upload one or all of them soon. :^)

      Pfc. Dave Seagraves dseagraves@... 1 (512) 835-7527
      Scout-Sniper (19D), 506th PIR, 101st Airborne Division, TMHS
    • rtyo348985@aol.com
      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 5, 2001
        I am always looking for a game. Either 1 on 1 or multi. I am currently playing a couple other games. I could ask if they are interested. Let me know.
      • Andreas Kotschote
        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 5, 2001
          Thank you, yes I think that would be fun, a game with more players,
          let´s
          do it, but we also will continue with our play ?!!

        • carlfetterman@cs.com
          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 5, 2001
            Yes I'm interested in playing a multiplayer game. I have only played one on one games.

            Carl
          • carlfetterman@cs.com
            Message 5 of 16 , Oct 5, 2001
              Yes I'll give it a try.  Let me know when you are ready.

              Carl
            • Dave Seagraves
              Message 6 of 16 , Oct 5, 2001
                > Yes I'll give it a try. Let me know when you are ready.

                I'm ready. I would prefer a multiplayer game over a one-on-one,
                the more the merrier. Otherwise anything goes.
                I'm also willing to step into an existing game if a player needs to
                drop out.
                I just got on ICQ: 133993068.

                Message 7 of 16 , Oct 5, 2001
                  Did you get any other replies to your first request.  I prefer to play a multiplayer game also.  Let me know or if you want we can start our own game.

                  Carl
                • adastra1960@hotmail.com
                  Message 8 of 16 , Oct 5, 2001
                    It seems to me that if you are responding to a game posting you
                    should not reply to the group. Instead, take the time to change the
                    TO: field to be the the person who posted. If you keep the messages
                    down so that they are of general interest, it is easier to tolerate
                    the fact that we cannot get rid of the ads.

                    I created at database at
                    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/empire-deluxe/database
                    for people who are actively seeking a game a place to find others who
                    are actively seeking games. The database has 14 people in it. There
                    is a field so that you can tell how long ago they added themselves.
                    I have not received any junk mail because of being in that database.

                    Arne

                    --- In empire-deluxe@y..., "Dave Seagraves" <dseagraves@a...> wrote:
                    > Hello. I'm a long-time Empire Deluxe player.
                    <snip>
                  • gcjcdc@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 16 , Oct 5, 2001
                      I see no problem asking for a game or responding to get into a game through yahoogroups.  After the game and players are set up you should get off the group.  I would be interested in getting into the multiplayer game (I have been looking for some new games), but I am going to be out of town from Oct. 13-26.

                      Weatherman
                    • Gunther Herzog
                      Message 10 of 16 , Oct 5, 2005
                        Greetings, Group!

                        I'm an old-time Empire player (from before there was such a thing as
                        Windows), but am relatively new to playing it online. I just got back
                        into the game after a long sebbatical.

                        I could not get the CD version to run under Windows 2000 Pro (I kept
                        getting a "Wrong Windows Versin" error), but the freebie version
                        available on the various sites works fine (go figure). Incidentally I
                        still can not get the setup for the scenario disk to run. Does anyone
                        know where I can simply snag the scenarios as a ZIP or RAR archive?
                        I'd love to get a game going in the Russian Revolution map.

                        Anyway, what is the most common/popular method? My schedule seems to
                        preculude "live" play, so I'm primarily interested in getting a PBEM
                        going, ideally with at least 3 people.

                        Proposed scenario:

                        Random map, 90 x 140, no wrapping

                        All human players at advantage 2 for combat & productivity
                        Computer players:
                        1 at Combat Adv 3, Prod Adv 1
                        1 at Combat Adv 1, Prod Adv 3

                        Chow for now,
                        Gunther
                      • Andy Young

                          Message 12 of 16 , Oct 5, 2005
                            Howdy Gunther:

                                The right way is pretty  much what you're doing here....advertising out for folks. I would imagine that as more folks check their email you'll begin getting greetings and some potential opponents soon enough. I usually get a couple of games' worth of action when I respond to somebody.

                                Welcome aboard! Ain't this a great game? <grin>

                            Steve
                            From the High, Snowy Mountains of Colorado

                            Message 13 of 16 , Oct 5, 2005
                              Gunther,

                              You should check out what has happened to Empire Deluxe while you have been gone.  The "Internet Edition" is very popular amongst classic fans and the "Enhanced Edition" is popular amongst those that want to add to the game.

                              Demos for both can be found at http://killerbeesoftware.com/kbsgames/demos

                              General info can be found at http://killerbeesoftware.com

                              Message 14 of 16 , Oct 6, 2005
                                And pay a visit to http://www.salientgames.com to keep yourself updated and informed on
                                ED related news.

                                -- Breaker

                                --- "Mark Kinkead @ Killer Bee Software" <mok@...> wrote:

                                > Gunther,
                                >
                                > You should check out what has happened to Empire Deluxe while you have been gone. The
                                > "Internet Edition" is very popular amongst classic fans and the "Enhanced Edition" is
                                > popular amongst those that want to add to the game.
                                >
                                > Demos for both can be found at http://killerbeesoftware.com/kbsgames/demos
                                >
                                > General info can be found at http://killerbeesoftware.com
                                >
                                > --Mark

                              • Gunther Herzog
                                Message 15 of 16 , Oct 7, 2005
                                  Hi Andy,

                                  --- Andy Young <gyoung1@...> wrote:

                                  > Gunther, my old enemy, welcome back. I think we played in a 3 on 3 game
                                  > sometime in the last century. This group is a good place to start. You can
                                  > look for opponents in Givoni's ED Ladder
                                  > http://www.givoni.com/empire/

                                  Thanks for the link, but I'm really looking for something causal, not rated
                                  games, tournaments, etc.

                                  > Your proposed set up is odd, I think that adding computer players introduces
                                  > a random factor that can easily tilt the game heavily in favour of the player
                                  > who is farthest away from the AI, but I'll try anything once.

                                  I guess that goes to the casual style I'm seeking here. When not in a serious
                                  rated game, the bit of randomness provides a little excitement. And with a
                                  sufficiently large map, the chances of being stuck with a nearby computer
                                  player are reduced.

                                  More on the setup:

                                  Players are given Adv2 on combat and production to (1) reduce randomness in
                                  taking neutral cities, and (2) speed up production in the beginning of the
                                  game.

                                  Computer players are set so that one has "crack troops" (Adv 2), but is slower
                                  in producing them (Adv 1). The other player has more poorly trained troups, but
                                  can crank them out faster than the players.

                                  I haven't tested this enough to see if it will make for an interesting game,
                                  but thought it might be fun to try. Also I'm not sure that one "step" will be
                                  significant enough to see a difference. Perhaps something like this...
                                  ----- HANDICAPS -----
                                  PLAYER COMBAT PRODUCTION
                                  All Humans Adv 1 Adv 1
                                  Computer 1 Adv 3 Slight
                                  Computer 2 Slight Adv 3

                                  Yahoo! for Good
                                • whineywright
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Oct 7, 2005
                                    --- In empire-deluxe@yahoogroups.com, Gunther Herzog <gruumsh@y...>
                                    wrote:

                                    > Hi Andy,
                                    >

                                    > --- Andy Young <gyoung1@r...> wrote:
                                    >
                                    > > Gunther, my old enemy, welcome back. I think we played in a 3
                                    on 3 game
                                    > > sometime in the last century. This group is a good place to
                                    start. You can
                                    > > look for opponents in Givoni's ED Ladder
                                    > > http://www.givoni.com/empire/
                                    >
                                    > Thanks for the link, but I'm really looking for something causal,
                                    not rated
                                    > games, tournaments, etc.
                                    >

                                    > > Your proposed set up is odd, I think that adding computer
                                    players introduces
                                    > > a random factor that can easily tilt the game heavily in favour
                                    of the player
                                    > > who is farthest away from the AI, but I'll try anything once.
                                    > >

                                    > I guess that goes to the casual style I'm seeking here. When not
                                    in a serious
                                    > rated game, the bit of randomness provides a little excitement.
                                    And with a
                                    > sufficiently large map, the chances of being stuck with a nearby
                                    computer
                                    > player are reduced.
                                    >
                                    > More on the setup:
                                    >
                                    > Players are given Adv2 on combat and production to (1) reduce
                                    randomness in
                                    > taking neutral cities, and (2) speed up production in the
                                    beginning of the
                                    > game.
                                    >
                                    > Computer players are set so that one has "crack troops" (Adv 2),
                                    but is slower
                                    > in producing them (Adv 1). The other player has more poorly
                                    trained troups, but
                                    > can crank them out faster than the players.
                                    >
                                    > I haven't tested this enough to see if it will make for an
                                    interesting game,
                                    > but thought it might be fun to try. Also I'm not sure that
                                    one "step" will be
                                    > significant enough to see a difference. Perhaps something like
                                    this...
                                    > ----- HANDICAPS -----
                                    > PLAYER COMBAT PRODUCTION
                                    > All Humans Adv 1 Adv 1
                                    > Computer 1 Adv 3 Slight
                                    > Computer 2 Slight Adv 3

                                    Hello Gunther,

                                    I usually play ladder games - but .... I might be interested in
                                    trying something like this. So long as you get other "dedicated"
                                    people on the "human" end (like Andy).

                                    Eric (Whiney Wright) Scantlebury

                                    P.S. And I send you my color preferences prior to start so I don't
                                    have to change them every move. LOL!