Re: [empire-deluxe] free clone of Empire Deluxe written in java just released

  • Christopher Marshall
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 20, 2001
      Say you unzipped the directory in c:\terry, so you
      have c:\terry\gempire-0.1

      You set the classpath by typing this into a DOS shell:

      set CLASSPATH=c:\terry\gempire-0.1

      Don't forget to then compile by doing:

      cd \terry\gempire-0.1\GEMpire
      javac *.java

      Then run the map editor by doing:

      cd ..
      java GEMpire.MapEditor

      Let me know what happens. Also, which version of the
      jdk are you using? If you don't know, type

      java -version

      Chris Marshall

      http://phonecard.yahoo.com/
    • christopherlmarshall@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 20, 2001
        My map files are straight ascii. They couldn't be simpler. I predict
        you will have no problems deciphering them. Just use the map editor
        to create a blank map, put some terrain down, then write it to a file,
        then open the file in a text editor.

        You can look at the the following method in the file Map.java:
        public void write(Writer out, int player)

        Actually, why don't I just include it here?

        Here it is.

        Chris Marshall

        public void write(Writer out, int player){
        int i,j;
        Vector v_pieces= new Vector(100,100);
        PrintWriter bout= new PrintWriter(out);

        // Write number of rows and columns.
        bout.println(numRows);
        bout.println(numCols);

        // Write terrain value for all rows and columns
        Piece p;
        for (i=0; i<numRows; i++){
        for (j=0; j<numCols; j++){
        // Write terrain value.
        if (j<numCols-1)
        bout.print(grid[i][j].getTerrain(player)+",");
        else
        bout.println(grid[i][j].getTerrain(player));

        if (grid[i][j].isExploredBy(player))
        if
        (grid[i][j].isVisibleTo(player)||hasFixedPiece(i,j)){
        // Copy any pieces.
        if ((p=getPieceAt(i,j))!=null)
        v_pieces.addElement(p);
        }
        }
        }

        // Write list of pieces attached to Map, keep track of players
        with pieces on map.
        boolean playersOnMap[]= new boolean[Piece.numPossiblePlayers()];
        for (i=0; i<playersOnMap.length-1; i++)
        playersOnMap[i]= false;
        bout.println(v_pieces.size());
        for (i=0; i<v_pieces.size(); i++){
        p= (Piece)v_pieces.elementAt(i);
        p.write(bout,player);
        int owner= p.getOwner();
        if (owner!=-1){
        playersOnMap[owner]= true;
        }
        }

        // don't write exploration patterns if this map is being written
        for a specific player to see.
        if (player==0){
        // Count number of players with at least one piece on the map
        and write to file.
        int numPlayers= 0;
        for (i=0; i<playersOnMap.length; i++)
        if (playersOnMap[i]) numPlayers++;
        bout.println(numPlayers);

        // Write the exploration pattern for each player to file.
        for (i=0; i<playersOnMap.length; i++){
        if (playersOnMap[i])
        writeExploredPatternForPlayer(bout,i);
        }
        }
        else bout.println("0");

        bout.println();
        bout.flush();
        }
      • terry

        • adastra1960@hotmail.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 20, 2001
            I did not see any attribution to Walter Bright, Mark Baldwin, or Bob
            Rakowsky. Doesn't your game violate their copyrights?

            Arne

          • Christopher Marshall
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 20, 2001
              How do you figure? You mean by mentioning the name
              "Empire Deluxe" or by implementing a similar game?

              The game is not an exact copy of the rules. For
              example, I use a hex map instead of a square grid.
              Also, all of the art work is my own.

              I would certainly have no problem adding the
              attributions if that is what you are complaining
              about. Is it?

              Chris Marshall