Magellan

  • Xeno
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 6 2:12 PM
      About a year or two ago, I began work on a 3rd party map reader and editor
      for ED. It was to have some of the features I missed from the original
      Empire map editor, especially the "blotch" functions. I also wanted to
      incorporate area select and cut-and-paste functions. I got as far as
      deciphering most of the ED map format and creating a rudimentary
      (DOS-based) map viewer that could create an ASCII version of an ED map.
      Simple functions like these, I knew, would revolutionize ED map making. I
      would leave complicated things like complete random map generation to the
      original built-in editor, which could do the job adequately enough. This
      editor would be mainly for touching up maps and creating them from scratch.

      But soon I realized that my programming knowledge and patience were
      inadequate to the task.

      Now I'll make the offer. If anyone wants to tackle this project, I'll send
      you all my notes and what C code I've managed to hammer out, and you're
      welcome to take your best shot. Someone who can decipher the rest of ED's
      map format and (just as importantly) write Windows programs would have a
      much better chance of success than an undergraduate programming student,
      IMO.
    • rs88
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 6 7:25 PM
        From: Xeno <mlsheltn@...>

        > Now I'll make the offer. If anyone wants to tackle this project, I'll send
        > you all my notes and what C code I've managed to hammer out, and you're
        > welcome to take your best shot. Someone who can decipher the rest of ED's
        > map format and (just as importantly) write Windows programs would have a
        > much better chance of success than an undergraduate programming student,
        > IMO.

        Maybe Mark Baldwin can help out people making utilities for ED. He and
        Walter Bright retain all rights to the game, although they apparently have
        differences between one another, which seems to be the reason there won't
        ever be another version of the game. Mark can be reached here:
        http://mark.baldwin.net/

        Rob
      • adastra1960@hotmail.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 11 3:57 PM
          I contacted Mark Baldwin.

          He responce:

          Thanks for the note.

          > Question #1) Do you have the right to sanction the distribution of
          ED?

          No, the authorship of ED is shared between myself, Robert Rakosky and
          Walter
          Bright. All three parties would have to sanction such a distribution
          for it
          to be legal.

          >Rob seems to feel that you would be supportive of work on utilities
          >enhance the game with utilities. Before I spend more of my time and
          yours:

          >Question #2) Are you willing to help (such as providing the structs
          for
          > maps and scenarios) in generating utilities?

          No, that stuff is buried too far in the past for me to try to dig it
          out and
          figure it out.

          > Question #3) Would you like me to post your response to the group?

          Up to you :-)

          Good luck,

          Mark