Old ED v3.11b on new Windows8

  • willymo32708
    Message 1 of 11 , May 17, 2014
      I tried a "test install" of my old ED v3.11b (which I still play and enjoy) on my brother's new Win8 computer and it wouldn't even install.  When I upgrade my own equipment am I going to have to give up my old favorite?  Is there a way to make it run on that platform?  Thanks

    • Andy Young
      Message 2 of 11 , May 18, 2014
        Hi Willymo,
        I verified that a working 3.12 on XP does not work on Windows 8.1.  I highly recommend Empire Deluxe Internet Edition from http://killerbeesoftware.com/.  It is the same engine as Empire Deluxe without some of the bugs and a few enhancements.  I also recommend the two other skins that you can get. I use the DIetmar Varga tactical skin.

        I do not recommend Empire Deluxe Extended Edition.  It is an entirely different flavour.

        The Empire Deluxe Mobile Edition app for Android and IOS is close to Empire Deluxe with enhancements for touch screens.  There are a few dehancements.

        Andy aka GeneralError

        I tried a "test install" of my old ED v3.11b (which I still play and enjoy) on my brother's new Win8 computer and it wouldn't even install.  When I upgrade my own equipment am I going to have to give up my old favorite?  Is there a way to make it run on that platform?  Thanks

      • weatherman000 .
        Message 3 of 11 , May 18, 2014
          I agree with General Error....try downloading EDIE (Empire Deluxe Internet Edition).  I also have a fairly new Windows 8 computer and EDIE works very well on it.

          Weatherman

        • sonneborn9@aol.com
          Message 4 of 11 , May 18, 2014
            I would concur with both, with the exception of EDEE, I actually like it even better than the old ED, and EDIE.

            Message 5 of 11 , May 18, 2014
              No EDEE for me, thank you.

              Only EDIE still has the flavor of the one-and-only Wargame of the Century!

              Sjaak (a.k.a. The Shark)

              Message 6 of 11 , May 18, 2014
                There are a few rule differences between the ED and EDIE.  For instance I believe that armor units cannot bombard land unit on mountain terrain if they're coming off a transport.  Also the AI doesn't operate quite the same way (possibly upgraded in EDIE).

                Nathan

                Message 7 of 11 , May 20, 2014
                  For the matter of completeness, I would like to remark that you can run the original ED on a Windows 8 (8.1) machine. If you really like the original, maybe because of its rattling sound or crude intro, there is a way for you: You need to run it through a virtual machine or an emulator (they are available on the web free of charge).

                  Drop me a message if you need more details on how to do that. I have done it.

                  Apart from that, I agree with the others: it's more convenient to install the new EDIE. It installs without problems and feels almost exactly like ED but with a refined user interface. And in contrast to other posts, I also like the EDEE (enhanced version); in my opinion its option for passive fire makes it more suitable for e-Mail games :-)

                  - Karawane
                • bwv847
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 20, 2014
                    I installed EDEE on a windows 8 machine without problems and it runs fine. I'm not at my machine at the moment so I can't tell you exactly which version, but it's only a few months ago I did this. Grab the latest from killer bees and it will likely work fine.

                    - S
                  • karawane_71
                    Message 9 of 11 , May 20, 2014
                      Just to get this straight: I thought the question was about installing old 1993 Empire Deluxe (no internet version, no enhanced version) on a Windows 8 system. For that, you need a virtual machine or an emulator. All refurbished versions from Killerbeesoftware (EDIE and EDEE) do not exhibit any problems on any new windows system to my knowledge.
                    • hyppyp
                      Message 10 of 11 , May 20, 2014
                        Totally agree Sjaak! So how about a decent live online game of EDIE one of these days?

                        Greetings from the distant shores of Nieuwegein,
                        hyppyp
                      • willymo32708
                        Message 11 of 11 , May 27, 2014
                          You understood the question right.  Probably be easier just moving up to EDIE than messing with VM or emulator.  Thanks for the replies.