Empire for IOS

  • Matthew F. Merrill
    Message 1 of 13 , May 21, 2013

      Do you think there will be an Empire of iOS? I think it would be a good seller if there was.

    • emarois@att.net
      Message 2 of 13 , May 21, 2013
        I think that Apple Users are to sophisticated for a Game that was originally developed in the late 1970's on a VAX and interface has not changed much since then.

        Do you think there will be an Empire of iOS? I think it would be a good seller if there was.

      • Ben Parrish
        Message 3 of 13 , May 21, 2013
          Lololololol!  (Trololololol.)

          On Tue, May 21, 2013 at 12:08 PM, <emarois@...> wrote:

          I think that Apple Users are to sophisticated for a Game that was originally developed in the late 1970's on a VAX and interface has not changed much since then.

          Do you think there will be an Empire of iOS? I think it would be a good seller if there was.

        • Matt Mensch
          Message 4 of 13 , May 21, 2013
            I'd buy it if I could play games I currently have running.   Cross-platform interoperability is a key feature for me.

            Message 5 of 13 , May 21, 2013

              I agree. Currently I play Empire Deluxe for DOS using iDOS on my iPad. It’s great, but it would be nice if it was an iOS app.

              Message 6 of 13 , May 21, 2013
                Personally I'd rather see it for Android.  I have both an Ipad and an Android tablet and I use the Android tablet far more than the Ipad.

                Also,  new Android sales exceed new IOS sales about 4 to 1 now so, even though IOS devices have a long head start, Android is becoming the bigger market.

                That said, I'd buy it for either one or both.

                Barry

                Message 7 of 13 , May 21, 2013
                  I sit in front of a computer ALL DAY LONG and only play Empire because it takes 5 minutes to do a turn. I personally have NO interest in such devices and barely understand and can see my cell phone as it is.

                  I'd buy it if I could play games I currently have running.   Cross-platform interoperability is a key feature for me.

                  On Tue, May 21, 2013 at 10:51 AM, Matthew F. Merrill <mattmerrill@...> wrote:

                  Do you think there will be an Empire of iOS? I think it would be a good seller if there was.

                • David Bott

                    I'd buy it if I could play games I currently have running.   Cross-platform interoperability is a key feature for me.

                    On Tue, May 21, 2013 at 10:51 AM, Matthew F. Merrill <mattmerrill@...> wrote:

                    Do you think there will be an Empire of iOS? I think it would be a good seller if there was.

                  • Barry Marks
                    Message 9 of 13 , May 21, 2013
                      Those numbers came from Google IO so my guess is they include things that have the Google Play store installed, which means the app store if you're not an Android user.

                      As for their relative sophistication the latest Android devices are every bit as sophisticated as the Ipad, and in some ways more so, although the "more so" is probably more my personal taste than anything else.

                      Both are very nicely designed but with different objectives.  The intent of the Ipad is to make it simple to use and they do that by making it work a certain, easy to learn, way.  Android focuses more on being able to customize it.  That makes it a bit harder to learn, but not much, and, once customized, a bit easier to use, again, not by much.

                      Going beyond the interface, they're equally capable.   There are a few apps, such as graphics apps and photo apps, that are better and more sophisticated on the Ipad so it's more capable in those areas, at least till comparable apps are available on Android.  There are a few things that Android devices do gracefully that IOS devices do clumsily, if at all.  A good example of that is wirelessly transferring a video or other file to the device from another computer.  Some apps can handle that fairly well, one file at a time, but each app can only do that for the files it will use.  With an Android device you can copy multiple files and any app on the device can then access them.

                      It would be wrong to say that either is more sophisticated than the other.  They're both very leading edge stuff.  Each focuses on different areas.

                      I also have a Nook Color and, while it is technically an Android device, it's an older one and it really isn't very much like an Android device.  I also have Android installed on a micro SD card that I can boot into and then it becomes a full fledged Android device, but it's still a very limited one compared to my tablets.

                      Barry

                      On Tue, May 21, 2013 at 3:26 PM, David Bott <dbott@...> wrote:

[...]

                      • Michael Wallack
                        Message 11 of 13 , May 23, 2013

                          I’d love, love, love to have a decent version of Empire on my iPad (or even iPhone). I’ve been searching for something similar for years with no success.

                          Michael S. Wallack

                          My Blog (Me Me Me Me Me)

                          Twitter

                          Facebook

                          My LibraryThing Catalog

                        • Matthew F. Merrill
                          Message 12 of 13 , May 23, 2013

                            Did you happen to get a copy of iDOS for iPad/iPhone before they pulled it? If so you can use the DOS version of Empire Deluxe. It runs well on the iPad.

                            Message 13 of 13 , May 24, 2013

                              Unfortunately, I didn’t get iDOS before it was removed from the App Store.

                              Michael S. Wallack

                              My Blog (Me Me Me Me Me)

                              Twitter

                              Facebook