Re: [empire-deluxe] Aircraft Carrier Use EDEE

  • emarois@att.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 20, 2013
      Dear Keven:

      My son middle name is "Ryan" after the main character in that very book.

      I read the book some 22 years ago and I am sure that Aircraft Carriers were mentioned in it, I do not remember them.

      I think the Russians invaded Greenland or something like that.

      I will have to re-read it.

      I personally would rather that the basic game be modified instead of having to deal with mods. The reason for this is more than likely pure laziness since I am UN-willing to figure out what all the new stiff does, or there is always the desire to stay true to the original game.

      My gaming friends had the hardest time getting me to change over from Battletech to more advanced version.

      I am actually in a very large game right now and I am using Aircraft Carriers out to the max range of the fighters to break up sea borne attacks and it is working rather well. Large Oceans and Islands populated with large numbers of cities help a lot.

      Edward K. Marois
      Computer Programmer/Tech Support/Limited Software Support
      Realty Information Systems
      (203)869-8954
      Please direct all Emails to support@...
      http://www.rissoft.com/

      http://www.facebook.com/rissoft

      A True Property Management Software Company

      I have been playing the latest version of Empire Deluxe EDEE since it came out back in 2005.  For me the use of aircraft carriers always depended on the size of the map and the ratio of water to land.  I have come to believe that carriers are a waste of resources on random generated maps where the land masses are evenly spaced.  They are fun to use but very expensive when you factor in the cost of the carrier and the eight fighters to fully load it.  In the standard EDEE game I have used my carriers for escort and scouting. For a down and dirty sea fight you are better off to bring some big guns like cruisers and battleships or have some land based bombers in the area.   During a big D-day style invasion mission I use the carrier’s fighters to intercept enemy fighters and bombers.  A secondary use would be interdiction strikes to slow down the enemies land reinforcements.  This last task can get very expensive when you factory in how long it takes to replace a lost fighter and get it all the way to the front.  I sometimes   thought it would be nice to have a smaller cheaper version of a carrier for escorting transports on mundane supply runs or patrol duty.  In my personal experience I always thought that standard EDEE game crippled the use of carriers because they could not launch a bomber type aircraft.   I felt like the game had a disconnect in the way land warfare and sea warfare was resolved.  Land warfare had land based bombers while the sea warfare side had none.  While the land battles had a late 20th century feel, the sea battles had an early 20th century feel almost like World War 1.   I can remember madding turns when I lost 7 fighters and only crippled a single cruiser or battleship. The additions of the fine mods like the Speed Mod and the Ultra Mod greatly updated the game and in my opinion gave the aircraft carrier some real teeth.   These mods allow the player to choose between building smaller cheaper escort carrier and light carrier or full size fleet carriers.    I also like the ability to now launch fighter/bomber/torpedo aircraft from carriers.  This greatly updated the sea warfare side of the equation.  At this point I only play the modded version of EDEE.  I play with large land masses and very large oceans.     Under these situations I have been involved in some epic carrier battles in the vein of a Tom Clancy Red Storm Rising novel.
      Kevin
    • ticdoffus