Oldie is now a newbie

  • adam
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 19, 2013
      Hi.  I used to play the advanced version of ED and was extremely good at it (I only played PC AI and not real people so I may not be that good.)  I find that the advanced version is intimidating but incredible with infinite replay ability.  I have a couple questions If anyone would be kind enough to answer.  I searched the forum but could not find the answer to the first so I thought I would ask.
      1)  What are the numbers that are on top of enemy units?  They range from 1 to 9+.
      2) What is the scripted AI and the difference from 1, 2, and 3.
      3)Finally, sadly I am PC challenged.  When the PC opponent moves it is too fast.  What prefernce do I use to change that and to which number would be suffficient.

      Thank you very much for reading and I look forward to playing some of you when I am up to speed.  As I said I was very proficient at the old game but that was 10 to 15 years ago and this is far deeper and superior.
      Sincerely
      Adam G
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 19, 2013
        Hi Adam,

        The numbers are the “age” of the sighting of an enemy unit. “2” means you saw it 2 turns ago.

        EDEE was built from the ground up so to speak. The AI is completely different, and the AI logic is now in a DLL that reads scripts. This means you can edit those scripts. Way too much to speak to here, though there are some here in the forum that have messed with the scripts. I think there are some explanation of how the scripts work in the example scripts themselves, but certainly there are more subtle things about them.

        You need to look around the preferences, as you can adjust the “timing” of how the units  move and get processed. This takes some experimentation. The specific timers have some explanation in the manual.

        And speaking of the manual, being a “Veteran” player, I suggest you the follow page (“Common Questions”) and look at the “Empire Deluxe Internet Edition User Questions” to get a hint on how certain tricks in the old game are now done in the new.

        --Mark