Re: Patrol Boats?

  • Darius
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 9, 2012
      I moded the PB so they only cost 6 (the same as an infantry). Thus, I don't mind their limted use then I just disband them aftewards. We are thinking about moding them further. They do seem kind of lame.

      --- In empire-deluxe@yahoogroups.com, John Spirko <john.spirko@...> wrote:

      > >What is the niche for patrol boats? I find that I never build that.
      > >Does anyone use them?
      >
      > > :AMN:
      >
      > The default PB is somewhat limited primarily because it is restricted to
      > shallow water. This is further limited when the automatic map maker gives
      > islands and land masses only a 1 square outline of shallow water. However,
      > there are two things that you can do to offset.
      >
      > 1) Make your own maps/scenarios with more shallow water expanding the
      > travel area.
      > 2) Modify the PB to your own designs. I've modified it: deep water
      > capability, but with a penalty when attacked in deep water and a speed
      > boost, plus it can carry an IN -- making it useful in small island
      > situations. Plus, I put a range on the PB so it can't venture too far into
      > deep water has to return to port/city for refuel.

    • Jimbo Toronto
      Message 2 of 7 , May 17, 2012
        I can't remember who put this:

        Modify the PB to your own designs. I've modified it: deep water capability, but with a penalty when attacked in deep water and a speed boost, plus it can carry an IN -- making it useful in small island situations. Plus, I put a range on the PB so it can't venture too far into deep water has to return to port/city for refuel.

        But I would love to do this but I am not sure which values to change in the UnitDB file nor to what number they should be.

        Any help would be appreciated.

        Jim Mills
      • Andrew Nuxoll
        Message 3 of 7 , May 17, 2012
          Jim:

          This is pretty easy to do.  If you provide more specifics on what you like I can send you a modified unit database file.  What I'm hearing is:
          - fast (move 2? 3?) on shallow water and slow (move 1) on deep water?
          - more (50% more? 75% more) likely to be sunk in deep water
          - ability to carry one (two?) infantry
          - must refuel (range of 15? 24? 30?)
          - adjust the cost to construct?

          :AMN:

          On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 10:25 AM, Jimbo Toronto <chuck_sault@...> wrote:

          I can't remember who put this:

          Modify the PB to your own designs. I've modified it: deep water capability, but with a penalty when attacked in deep water and a speed boost, plus it can carry an IN -- making it useful in small island situations. Plus, I put a range on the PB so it can't venture too far into deep water has to return to port/city for refuel.

          But I would love to do this but I am not sure which values to change in the UnitDB file nor to what number they should be.

          Any help would be appreciated.

          Jim Mills

        • John Spirko
          Message 4 of 7 , May 17, 2012
            I'll reply with private mail and send screen shots of the database pages