Re: [empire-deluxe] Re: error with 500x500 map config

    Message 1 of 21 , Feb 10, 2012
      I generally tend to believe #1 until I can convince myself otherwise. Since I am able to build a repeatable case, evidence is pointing strongly in that direction. ;> Actually deep into it now.

      --Mark

      Message 2 of 21 , Feb 10, 2012
        Hi Mark
        Just want to say your great. Even after all these years you still support your product. The best money I have ever spent on a software game.
        Thanks
        Nick

        Sent: Friday, February 10, 2012 7:39 AM
        Subject: Re: [empire-deluxe] error with 500x500 map config

        Ok, I seem to be able to reproduce the issue. Very strange. Let me see what I can resolve.

        --Mark

        Message 3 of 21 , Feb 13, 2012

          Hi,

          Armand’s issue turned out to be a serious issue in the way a game starts. There was a race condition caused by the timing of a larger size map (over like 400 square) and the fact that no previous games had been played. I suspect improving hardware  helped expose it as well. I believe I have fixed this issue for him, and it is definitely going to cause a patch to happen soon. If you are experiencing this problem before I patch this out, let me know privately.

          Also wanted to take advantage of this opportunity to mention that you should check into my website occasionally this year, as hopefully there will be something cool happening at some point...but it is going to be a while yet. ;>

          --Mark

          Sent: Friday, February 10, 2012 9:28 AM
          Subject: Re: [empire-deluxe] Re: error with 500x500 map config

          I generally tend to believe #1 until I can convince myself otherwise. Since I am able to build a repeatable case, evidence is pointing strongly in that direction. ;> Actually deep into it now.

          --Mark

          In my experience errors like that tend to happen for two reasons.

          1. Bad coding that only the developer can fix.

          2. If its something that started randomly and works on other computers, its more likely part of windows that changed. I dont know what language EDEE & EDIE were written in, but java needs java (usually from Java.com) or if it were written in say C# or C++ or C probably something like the .net framework. Perhaps your version of this is out dated or perhaps an update of that caused it to malfunction.

          Just try making sure things like directX and windows update are fully updated and that the game is set to allow on any anti-virus programs and firewalls.

          --- In mailto:empire-deluxe%40yahoogroups.com, "Armand" <flytierwon@...> wrote:

          > Tried numerous
          configurations to no avail, and one AI 2 AI. whenever i use the 500x500 map config, with or without wrap around, set number of cities, or random, hit begin play , Empire has encountered a problem..please send error report to Microsoft, the one thing i remember, during the first initial set up new game today i did forget to set the the number of cities or random number...did get an unknown error code...i forget the number, ever since then i can't use the 500x500...i think that's when i somehow caused the error. Right now at my wits end

        • John Spirko
          Message 4 of 21 , Feb 13, 2012
            Thanks for the update Mark. Was this also occuring with scenarios at 500 x 500 or larger?

            I've never experienced the problem, even though I do have a few maps/scenarios over 500 but nothing exactly at 500 x 500.

            Will there be anything else included in the patch?

            Thanks and regards
            John

            Message 5 of 21 , Feb 13, 2012
              I have not patched since late 2007, as the issues that have arisen since then were minor and I have sent out probably a half dozen or so “special” versions. So nothing so very specific as the problem mentioned previously...an few rare AI crashes I believe and some other minor issues.

              I am considering adding a new Order, namely something called “Search and Destroy” and “Search and Capture”, which will essentially tell a LAND unit to find the nearest enemy to kill, or the nearest city to capture if possible, or explore if nothing is otherwise found. Seems like a one key command for some of these big games like that would be useful.

              If anyone has other issues or suggestions feel free to let me know. I won’t make any promises but it does not hurt to ask/discuss.

              --Mark

              Message 6 of 21 , Feb 13, 2012
                Now that you mention it, I have a question about the way the game does a couple of things.  First, is there a way to make moves in a particular area of the map, then go to another area?  For example, the map comes up in a certain area, but I have an interesting situation going on in another area that I wish to address.  I go to the other area hoping to make a number of moves, but after I make one move, it jumps back to the area where it came up in the first place.  Second, whenever I have a number of units together on the map, it always wants to move the ones in the rear on the group first.  This causes them to bump into the units in front of them.  Is there a way to have the front units move first?

                Thanks,

                Bob

                Message 7 of 21 , Feb 13, 2012
                  I know someone brought up the queue set “Closest To Selected Loc” command the other day that I did not get a chance to respond to, and this command should be how you achieve what you are asking. However, its use does not seem as intuitive as it should which is what the post brought out.....Namely the “queue” is only sorted when you select that menu option, so it spirals out pretty quickly as the distance from the location gets greater. the non-intuitive thinking here is that you would hotkey this command and reorganize your queue when desired. I am considering changing this so that the queue sorting occurs with each unit change, which would make more sense as the “selected loc” has changed.

                  But anyway, if you were to work in one area, you would enter this command, then work your area till the units get too far out, switch areas, and then repeat (starting with setting the command).

                  --Mark

                  Sent: Monday, February 13, 2012 10:57 AM

                  Message 8 of 21 , Feb 13, 2012
                    Oh I forgot to answer the second point, but it can actually be solved with the same command. Again this is a good reason to make this queue sorting automatic in this case, as you would then be able to select the appropriate unit, then clear the log jam. Log jams are also a problem with slow AI performance sometimes.

                    Sent: Monday, February 13, 2012 10:57 AM

                    Message 9 of 21 , Feb 13, 2012
                      In looking at this I have noticed that there is a context menu (right click) on the active unit that says “Center Queue” – the default hotkey is Shift-F11 .  This resorts the queue based on location as well.

                      Sent: Monday, February 13, 2012 11:35 AM

                      Sent: Monday, February 13, 2012 10:57 AM

                      Message 10 of 21 , Feb 14, 2012
                        There was a thread earlier where Mark asked if we had any suggestions for future changes. Here is my list :)

                        Before I begin, these all share one thing in common: I'm trying to find ways to ease the amount of time it takes to take a turn in larger games.

                        1.) During many of my late games, I'll often have a large number of flight-paths with a huge number of aircraft in the air (often numbered in the hundreds). These constantly bump into each other requiring frequent manual intervention. I'm not sure what the best method to resolve it, but one suggestion might be to automatically delay a units movement in the queue, allowing the other units in front of it to move. Another one might be to allow it to move as best as it can (the same thing a human does whey they right-click to clear the jam) as long as it doesn't risk the unit.

                        2.) When I conquer a new city in the mid to late game, I'll often set it to no production until it reaches a desirable production efficiency. The game currently defaults to 100%, but it would be great if this could be defined in a customized parameter so that I don't need to constantly type it in.

                        3.) When creating a path, it would be super handy to have an option to tell the unit to automatically sentry when it reaches the other end. For instance, I'll often setup a path from an armor/infantry producing city to one that makes a transport. It works great, but then I need to tell the unit to sentry when it arrives. I know there is a way to do this by adding a line to the script of the unit, but this can be time intensive when you have a ton of paths that sometimes change.

                        4.) Managing paths can be tough past a certain scale. For instance, if you're playing on a large map and you're front line is hundreds of squares away, it can be tough to get aircraft to their destination. I end up creating a web of paths to automatically move units, but it can become very difficult to manage if an objective changes. If there was a way to select the source city and the destination and have the game automatically create the paths for you, it would be amazing (probably extremely intensive as well to calculate).

                        5.) I would love to be able to make better use of mines, but it can be a bit time intensive to place them. If there was a way to easily select multiple squares in one shot, it would be helpful. The way this is handled now is to individually place each mine (although multiple mines can be scripted). If you want to get real fancy, maybe you could have engineer units do this automatically -- including building roads between cities (note: I usually never build roads since they can be used against you, but I know some people do).
                      • Nathan Foley

                          Message 12 of 21 , Feb 14, 2012
                            I'll throw in one more: it'd be nice to have the carriers check the position of the air born fighters before making their move to ensure the fighters don't run out of fuel.  I'd settle for that and still deploy the fighters manually, but it'd be even nicer if the carriers and fighters worked together to move to a position, yet still let the fighters 'explore' without danger of running out of fuel.

                            Message 13 of 21 , Feb 14, 2012
                              I have two more that might be a bit esoteric for most of the Empire community, but I'd love to see the following:

                              6.) This is both a tip and a feature request. I'd love to have a method to keep track of what turn a city is bombed. Right now, I use the in-game notes to record the turn I've reset a city's production. This way, I can maximize the spread of my destructive fury with as few forces as possible. If planned properly, for instance, a single cruiser can reset several cities worth of production. The problem is that managing the notes can be time intensive. To see an example of this, check out this screen-shot from an on-going conflict in one of my games. I use b<turn number> right now. BTW, this note-taking system can be used for lots of fun things --especially handy in large games where it's difficult to keep track of what's going on (I use to continually get fighters shot down over AA sites because I kept forgetting where they are).

                              http://imageshack.us/f/692/48216005.png/

                              7.) The game status logs the actions of the turn across multiple lines and is in-game only. I'd love to have a local easily parsable log file that kept track of all actions for each game.

                              I could probably think of others, but I don't want Mark to get annoyed at me for making unreasonable requests :)

                              I will say that I think it's amazing that this game is still being patched many years after it was released and I'm perfectly content with how the game plays right now.

                              --- In empire-deluxe@yahoogroups.com, Spratz86 <spratz86@...> wrote:

                              > I'll throw in one more: it'd be nice to have the carriers check the position of the air born fighters before making their move to ensure the fighters don't run out of fuel.  I'd settle for that and still deploy the fighters manually, but it'd be even nicer if the carriers and fighters worked together to move to a position, yet still let the fighters 'explore' without danger of running out of fuel.
                              >

                              > >________________________________

                            • armand defrank

                                Sent: Monday, February 13, 2012 9:02 AM

[...]

                                fixing the log jams that slows down the AI .. i'd be a happy camper

                              • Arved
                                Message 15 of 21 , Mar 6, 2012
                                  I might be missing something, but I remember an order that would move units from one city to another. Path?

                                  It was useful to have armies or infantries created in one city automatically move to a city where a transport was being produced, or would be docked to pick up units. It was also useful for setting up patrols, either for ground, sea, or air units (and all three were separately configurable).

                                  Been a long time. I remember when the game was character based. :-)

                                  That said, there are features and units I can't figure out how to use, and the surprise of finding a missile available for use at a recently captured city. Time to RTFM. :-D

                                  - Arved

                                  --- In empire-deluxe@yahoogroups.com, armand defrank <flytierwon@...> wrote:

                                  > On 2/13/2012 10:57 AM, Mark Kinkead @ Killer Bee Software wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > I have not patched since late 2007, as the issues that have arisen
                                  > > since then were minor and I have sent out probably a half dozen or so
                                  > > "special" versions. So nothing so very specific as the problem
                                  > > mentioned previously...an few rare AI crashes I believe and some other
                                  > > minor issues.
                                  > > I am considering adding a new Order, namely something called "Search
                                  > > and Destroy" and "Search and Capture", which will essentially tell a
                                  > > LAND unit to find the nearest enemy to kill, or the nearest city to
                                  > > capture if possible, or explore if nothing is otherwise found. Seems
                                  > > like a one key command for some of these big games like that would be
                                  > > useful.
                                  > > If anyone has other issues or suggestions feel free to let me know. I
                                  > > won't make any promises but it does not hurt to ask/discuss.
                                  > > --Mark

                                • Andrew Nuxoll
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Mar 6, 2012
                                    Arved:

                                    I'm not surprised you forgot it as it's rather arcane.  I believe the procedure is:

                                    1.  Press Ctrl-Shift-F1.  This puts you in "Quick Order Points Mode"
                                    2.  Press and hold the left mouse button on the city where the path begins.  A white circle will appear on the city.
                                    3.  Drag the cursor to the destination city which creates a visible path line.
                                    4.  Right click on the destination city and then release both buttons.  (You may just have to release the button.  The right click may be unncessary.)   A dialog will appear.
                                    5.  In the dialog, select the types of units that you want to automatically follow the path.  Select OK when you're done.

                                    You can delete a path by selecting the city where the path begins and then displaying the "TERR" tab.  Your orders will be listed as a Movement Path in the list box which can select and remove via the Delete button.

                                    (All of this from memory so it may not be 100% correct but I know it's close.)

                                    :AMN:

                                    Message 17 of 21 , Mar 7, 2012

                                      I tried this, and it doesn’t work.

                                      Message 18 of 21 , Mar 7, 2012
                                        My mistake:  Shift-F1  rather than Ctrl-Shift-F1

                                        Muscle memory...

                                        :AMN: