More on my connection issues...

  • maquoketatacos
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 26, 2011
      Hi everyone,

      Well, thought I had this figured out but I guess not. I am trying to play Perfect General II Internet Edition. My brother came to my house over the holiday and we were able to use the ingame connection very simply and it worked well. He went to network connection and put my IP address in and the computers hooked right up. He went home and we tried to hook it up the same way and he gets a "time out" message. I assume it worked when he was here via my wireless router. I am also assuming that we don't need any 3rd party connection. He just starts his game and goes to network connection then enters my IP while I got to network connection and "wait for connect". I think I'm just missing something very simple but have no clue as to what it it. I've double checked that he's entering my correct IP. Once again any help is appreciated!

      Kent
    • David Sonneborn

        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 26, 2011
          I don't think I explained the ports -- the router has to have the port forwarding programmed in the host computer.  Are you the host?

[...]

        • Wendy & Kent McCartt
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 27, 2011
            I believe I am set up as the host. I go to Network Game
            and set it to "wait" for connection, then he goes into the
            program and enters my IP. After 15-20 seconds he gets a
            timed out message. I've never done anything with the
            router (mine or his). I have a wireless router, as does
            he. The computer I use is hard connected (doesn't use the
            wireless) but his does use the wireless capability of his
            router. Hope that helps!

            Thanks, Kent

            On Mon, 26 Dec 2011 20:26:21 -0800
            David Sonneborn <sonneborn9@...> wrote:
            > I don't think I explained the ports -- the router has to
            >have the port forwarding programmed in the host computer.
            > Are you the host?
            >
            > Sent from my iPhone
            >
            > On Dec 26, 2011, at 7:18 PM, "maquoketatacos"
            ><kentmcca@...> wrote:
            >
            >> Hi everyone,
            >>
            >> Well, thought I had this figured out but I guess not. I
            >>am trying to play Perfect General II Internet Edition. My
            >>brother came to my house over the holiday and we were
            >>able to use the ingame connection very simply and it
            >>worked well. He went to network connection and put my IP
            >>address in and the computers hooked right up. He went
            >>home and we tried to hook it up the same way and he gets
            >>a "time out" message. I assume it worked when he was here
            >>via my wireless router. I am also assuming that we don't
            >>need any 3rd party connection. He just starts his game
            >>and goes to network connection then enters my IP while I
            >>got to network connection and "wait for connect". I think
            >>I'm just missing something very simple but have no clue
            >>as to what it it. I've double checked that he's entering
            >>my correct IP. Once again any help is appreciated!
            >>
            >> Kent

          • David Sonneborn
            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 27, 2011
              From what you have explained, it is almost certainly the port forwarding.  You will have to go into your router, and create (under 'games' tab, or it might actually be labeled 'port forwarding' and input the port or range of ports that need to be forwarded to your computer.  You can use a service like www.showmyip.com to get the IP address of your router, to make sure he has that IP address, and then you need to know what IP address the computer has -- 'ipconfig' from the command prompt should give you that.  Make sure that the IP address of the router is forwarding to the IP address of the computer.  If your brother is using the IP address of your computer, and not the router, you will not be able to connect, the router will block it.

              I believe I am set up as the host. I go to Network Game
              and set it to "wait" for connection, then he goes into the
              program and enters my IP. After 15-20 seconds he gets a
              timed out message. I've never done anything with the
              router (mine or his). I have a wireless router, as does
              he. The computer I use is hard connected (doesn't use the
              wireless) but his does use the wireless capability of his
              router. Hope that helps!

              Thanks, Kent

              On Mon, 26 Dec 2011 20:26:21 -0800
              David Sonneborn <sonneborn9@...> wrote:

              > I don't think I explained the ports -- the router has to
              >have the port forwarding programmed in the host computer.
              > Are you the host?
              >
              > Sent from my iPhone
              >
              > On Dec 26, 2011, at 7:18 PM, "maquoketatacos"
              ><kentmcca@...> wrote:
              >
              >> Hi everyone,
              >>
              >> Well, thought I had this figured out but I guess not. I
              >>am trying to play Perfect General II Internet Edition. My
              >>brother came to my house over the holiday and we were
              >>able to use the ingame connection very simply and it
              >>worked well. He went to network connection and put my IP
              >>address in and the computers hooked right up. He went
              >>home and we tried to hook it up the same way and he gets
              >>a "time out" message. I assume it worked when he was here
              >>via my wireless router. I am also assuming that we don't
              >>need any 3rd party connection. He just starts his game
              >>and goes to network connection then enters my IP while I
              >>got to network connection and "wait for connect". I think
              >>I'm just missing something very simple but have no clue
              >>as to what it it. I've double checked that he's entering
              >>my correct IP. Once again any help is appreciated!
              >>
              >> Kent

            • Wendy & Kent McCartt
              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 27, 2011
                I will give that a shot and let you know how it works.
                Thanks so much for your assistance!

                Kent

                On Tue, 27 Dec 2011 12:13:22 -0500 (EST)

              • Wendy & Kent McCartt
                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 28, 2011
                  Alright, I'm at my routers admin panel, and at the
                  "Applications & Gaming" Tab, and at Port Range Forwarding.
                  No data entered in any of the boxes. First box is
                  "application name", then "Start-End Port" where there are
                  two boxes which accept 5 digits each. Then "Protocol"
                  which is currently at "Both", then "To IP Address" where
                  all but the last number of my computer's IP is already
                  entered and it gives me a place to enter the last digits
                  of my IP. Lastly a box which I assume must be checked
                  labeled "Enable". I assume I would put "General" (for
                  Perfect General) in the app name, no idea what goes in the
                  start-end port boxes, leave protoco at both, finish
                  entering my computer's IP, and check enable. I did the
                  "show IP" you suggested and got an IP that is different
                  than my computer's IP, which I assume is the router's IP,
                  but see nowhere to enter that. Any advice from here?

                  Thanks, Kent

                • David Sonneborn
                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 28, 2011
                    You have to enter a range of ports to be forwarded.  I do not have PG, but have EDEE.  When you try to connect to a host, does it have a screen where you input the IP address, and it asks for a port to use?  In EDEE the default is port 45000, so I generally use a range from 44995 to 45005, so I can have multiple games going, if I desire.  Enter your computers IP address in the "To IP Address"  Your brother needs to use the IP address from showmyip.com when he tries to connect, you do not have to enter that anywhere.

                    Alright, I'm at my routers admin panel, and at the
                    "Applications & Gaming" Tab, and at Port Range Forwarding.
                    No data entered in any of the boxes. First box is
                    "application name", then "Start-End Port" where there are
                    two boxes which accept 5 digits each. Then "Protocol"
                    which is currently at "Both", then "To IP Address" where
                    all but the last number of my computer's IP is already
                    entered and it gives me a place to enter the last digits
                    of my IP. Lastly a box which I assume must be checked
                    labeled "Enable". I assume I would put "General" (for
                    Perfect General) in the app name, no idea what goes in the
                    start-end port boxes, leave protoco at both, finish
                    entering my computer's IP, and check enable. I did the
                    "show IP" you suggested and got an IP that is different
                    than my computer's IP, which I assume is the router's IP,
                    but see nowhere to enter that. Any advice from here?

                    Thanks, Kent

                    On Tue, 27 Dec 2011 12:13:22 -0500 (EST)
                    David Sonneborn <sonneborn9@...> wrote:

                    >>From what you have explained, it is almost certainly the
                    >>port forwarding. You will have to go into your router,
                    >>and create (under 'games' tab, or it might actually be
                    >>labeled 'port forwarding' and input the port or range of
                    >>ports that need to be forwarded to your computer. You
                    >>can use a service like www.showmyip.com to get the IP
                    >>address of your router, to make sure he has that IP
                    >>address, and then you need to know what IP address the
                    >>computer has -- 'ipconfig' from the command prompt should
                    >>give you that. Make sure that the IP address of the
                    >>router is forwarding to the IP address of the computer.
                    >> If your brother is using the IP address of your
                    >>computer, and not the router, you will not be able to
                    >>connect, the router will block it.

                  • John Spirko
                    Message 9 of 15 , Dec 28, 2011
                      On Wed, Dec 28, 2011 at 7:49 AM, Wendy & Kent McCartt <kentmcca@...> wrote:

[...]

                      The word PORT has a lot of connotations for a computer. But in this instance it means a specific channel or range of channels to allow data to flow. TCP/UDP. TCP = Transmission Control Protocol. UDP = User Datagram Protocol. Some port numbers are reserved for specific applications - i.e. your email program. The port numbers for games are usually determined by the programmers - from the looks of the manual (see below) you could use 45000 (or use start 45000/end 45005). The 'port number' you assign, is a local number to your computer, within the range of number specified by the programmers.

                      IP address = Internet Protocol and your specific and unique address (number) which can be static or change if it's assigned by your Internet Provider (usually the last digits are the ones that change) So you (and your friend) may have to query the IP number each time you play.

                      Yes, use 'Perfect' or whatever reference you want - the start-end port is where you specify the port or range of port numbers you're going to use to allow the computer to communicate game data for PG.  In this instance, you're assigning a number or range of numbers.

                      BTW, Salient Games has the manual online. However, note that you are not going through a game server, you and your friend are using a direct connection - that is why you need know your IP numbers. And the port number is also useful from a security viewpoint, since you will be allowing communication to/from your computer through the firewall:
                      http://www.salientgames.com/manuals/games/killerbeesoftware/PGIE/PGIEManual.htm
                    • computerrific1
                      Message 10 of 15 , Dec 28, 2011
                        I'm can easily connect to your system remotely over the internet and set up the router for you. My company web site has a remote support link you can click to download and run a "Teamviewer" client program such that you can then let me connect to you. Once this is downloaded and running, you would call me 504-782-8240 or Skype "DavidWadleigh" to tell me the ID number on your screen and the password assigned to you. A minute later you would see me come into your PC and share control of it with you, "we" would browse to your router, set it up and reboot the router.

                        The link is at http://terrific.it/remotesupport and from there you would click the download for windows, save & run, OK, OK.

                        It would be free for you today if you need it, normally $15 for 15 minutes through Paypal.

                        David Wadleigh
                        Terrific.IT LLC - home of the Terrific IT guy!
                        http://terrific.it

                        Message 11 of 15 , Dec 28, 2011
                          Yep, that makes sense. PG also uses defaul port 45000 so
                          I'll try using your scheme. It does have a screen where
                          he needs to enter the IP so I'll put my info in my side,
                          and have him enter the IP number I got from showmyIP and
                          see if that works...hopefully I"ll be laying waste to his
                          tanks as early as tonight!

                          Kent

                          On Wed, 28 Dec 2011 09:52:23 -0500 (EST)

                        • Wendy & Kent McCartt
                          Message 12 of 15 , Dec 28, 2011
                            Thanks John, hopefully with everyone's help I can be up
                            and running tonight...I let you know how it goes!

                            Thanks, Kent

                            On Wed, 28 Dec 2011 10:06:49 -0500

                            Message 13 of 15 , Dec 28, 2011
                              Thanks David,

                              If I can't get it on my own I may just take you up on
                              that.

                              Kent

                                Message 15 of 15 , Jan 2, 2012
                                  Thanks to John (and everyong else),

                                  My connection worked perfectly. They key was using the
                                  router's IP rather than the computer's IP, and putting the
                                  port # in. Seems simple now that I've done it. Happy
                                  Gaming!

                                  Kent

                                  On Wed, 28 Dec 2011 12:41:19 -0500