Re: Question / Help

  • Barry M
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 17, 2011
      I'm not sure I understand your question. Maybe you're assuming you need some commercial service to handle the connection. If that's it, then you don't. You can connect directly, computer to computer, through the internet.

      It's been a few years since I've done it but I remember that you each need the other's IP address. That's what you connect to. You can get your IP with the following link:
      http://www.whatismyip.com/

      I also found it handy to have a chat client running and connected with the other person. I believe we used MSN's chat client last time. That made it easy to type back and forth to each other while we played. This isn't really needed but it sure was nice to have.

      I hope that helps.

      Barry

      --- In empire-deluxe@yahoogroups.com, "maquoketatacos" <kentmcca@...> wrote:

      > Hi everyone,
      >
      > Mark at killerbee suggested I post a message here to get some assistance. As an aside I'm glad to see an Empire Deluxe group here as I remember the game fondly and hope to get that game and play as well, but my question is about Perfect General II Internet Edition, although it would probably apply to Empire Deluxe. I want to play a network game over the 'net but don't know of a service (preferably free) to connect two computers. I think I get the set up aspect, thanks to the manual in PG, but don't know where to start with a service to conncet the two computers in the first place. Thanks in advance for any assistance!
      >
      > Kent

    • Wendy & Kent McCartt
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 17, 2011
        Yep, I was assuming that I needed a "service" of some kind
        to connect. I do have both computers IP address so will
        try to plug those in and see how it works. Thank you very
        much for getting back to me so quickly Barry,

        Kent

        On Sat, 17 Dec 2011 14:00:31 -0000
        "Barry M" <barryem@...> wrote:
        > I'm not sure I understand your question. Maybe you're
        >assuming you need some commercial service to handle the
        >connection. If that's it, then you don't. You can
        >connect directly, computer to computer, through the
        >internet.
        >
        > It's been a few years since I've done it but I remember
        >that you each need the other's IP address. That's what
        >you connect to. You can get your IP with the following
        >link:
        > http://www.whatismyip.com/
        >
        > I also found it handy to have a chat client running and
        >connected with the other person. I believe we used MSN's
        >chat client last time. That made it easy to type back
        >and forth to each other while we played. This isn't
        >really needed but it sure was nice to have.
        >
        > I hope that helps.
        >
        > Barry
        >
        > --- In empire-deluxe@yahoogroups.com, "maquoketatacos"
        ><kentmcca@...> wrote:
        >>
        >> Hi everyone,
        >>
        >> Mark at killerbee suggested I post a message here to get
        >>some assistance. As an aside I'm glad to see an Empire
        >>Deluxe group here as I remember the game fondly and hope
        >>to get that game and play as well, but my question is
        >>about Perfect General II Internet Edition, although it
        >>would probably apply to Empire Deluxe. I want to play a
        >>network game over the 'net but don't know of a service
        >>(preferably free) to connect two computers. I think I
        >>get the set up aspect, thanks to the manual in PG, but
        >>don't know where to start with a service to conncet the
        >>two computers in the first place. Thanks in advance for
        >>any assistance!
        >>
        >> Kent

      • John Spirko
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 17, 2011
          And IIRC, you'll have to both select the same port number on your computer. Also, make sure that your firewall doesn't block it.

          "Barry M" <barryem@...> wrote:
          > I'm not sure I understand your question. Maybe you're
          >assuming you need some commercial service to handle the
          >connection. If that's it, then you don't. You can
          >connect directly, computer to computer, through the
          >internet.
          >
          > It's been a few years since I've done it but I remember
          >that you each need the other's IP address. That's what
          >you connect to. You can get your IP with the following
          >link:
          > http://www.whatismyip.com/
          >
          > I also found it handy to have a chat client running and
          >connected with the other person. I believe we used MSN's
          >chat client last time. That made it easy to type back
          >and forth to each other while we played. This isn't
          >really needed but it sure was nice to have.
          >
          > I hope that helps.
          >
          > Barry
          >
          > --- In empire-deluxe@yahoogroups.com, "maquoketatacos"
          ><kentmcca@...> wrote:
          >>
          >> Hi everyone,
          >>
          >> Mark at killerbee suggested I post a message here to get
          >>some assistance. As an aside I'm glad to see an Empire
          >>Deluxe group here as I remember the game fondly and hope
          >>to get that game and play as well, but my question is
          >>about Perfect General II Internet Edition, although it
          >>would probably apply to Empire Deluxe. I want to play a
          >>network game over the 'net but don't know of a service
          >>(preferably free) to connect two computers. I think I
          >>get the set up aspect, thanks to the manual in PG, but
          >>don't know where to start with a service to conncet the
          >>two computers in the first place. Thanks in advance for
          >>any assistance!
          >>
          >> Kent

        • Spratz86
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 17, 2011
            Kent,

            The only service you may need is a dynamic DNS service, and that's only if one of you doesn't have, and can't, get a static IP.  DynoDNS is (or at least did offer) a free service that allows you to create a DNS name to use with whatever random IP your ISP gives you, and will maintain that DNS name even if you're IP changes.  There are probably other services that do the same.

            Good luck!

            - Jeff

            "Barry M" <barryem@...> wrote:
            > I'm not sure I understand your question. Maybe you're
            >assuming you need some commercial service to handle the
            >connection. If that's it, then you don't. You can
            >connect directly, computer to computer, through the
            >internet.
            >
            > It's been a few years since I've done it but I remember
            >that you each need the other's IP address. That's what
            >you connect to. You can get your IP with the following
            >link:
            > http://www.whatismyip.com/
            >
            > I also found it handy to have a chat client running and
            >connected with the other person. I believe we used MSN's
            >chat client last time. That made it easy to type back
            >and forth to each other while we played. This isn't
            >really needed but it sure was nice to have.
            >
            > I hope that helps.
            >
            > Barry
            >
            > --- In empire-deluxe@yahoogroups.com, "maquoketatacos"
            ><kentmcca@...> wrote:
            >>
            >> Hi everyone,
            >>
            >> Mark at killerbee suggested I post a message here to get
            >>some assistance. As an aside I'm glad to see an Empire
            >>Deluxe group here as I remember the game fondly and hope
            >>to get that game and play as well, but my question is
            >>about Perfect General II Internet Edition, although it
            >>would probably apply to Empire Deluxe. I want to play a
            >>network game over the 'net but don't know of a service
            >>(preferably free) to connect two computers. I think I
            >>get the set up aspect, thanks to the manual in PG, but
            >>don't know where to start with a service to conncet the
            >>two computers in the first place. Thanks in advance for
            >>any assistance!
            >>
            >> Kent

          • Wendy & Kent McCartt
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 17, 2011
              Thanks John, I adjusted my firewall and the connection
              went perfectly...I was trying to make it harder that it
              really was.

              Kent

            • Wendy & Kent McCartt
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 17, 2011
                Thanks Jeff,

                I ran ipconfig from the prompt and got IPs for both
                computers and the connection went perfectly. As long as
                my IP doesn't change (they don't, do they?) I am good to
                go.

                Kent

              • Spratz86
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 17, 2011
                  Unless you're paying for a static IP, in most cases, yes, the IP's will change.

                  Spratz86 <spratz86@...> wrote:
                  > Kent,
                  >
                  > The only service you may need is a dynamic DNS service,
                  >and that's only if one of you doesn't have, and can't,
                  >get a static IP.  DynoDNS is (or at least did offer) a
                  >free service that allows you to create a DNS name to use
                  >with whatever random IP your ISP gives you, and will
                  >maintain that DNS name even if you're IP changes.  There
                  >are probably other services that do the same.
                  >
                  > Good luck!
                  >

                  > - Jeff

                • David Sonneborn
                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 17, 2011
                    Your IP should not change unless you reset your router, or your internet service goes down, then you may have to run IPconfig again, unless you have a static IP address. (costs a little more, so most people don't....)