EDEE PBEM PLAYERS

  • gacuster7th
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 28, 2011
      Looking for committed players:
      2-10 players
      Map 3000X3000 wrap both ways
      Land/water.... 60/40
      System weather
      No treaties/No unit gifting
      No buy points
      Nothing visible
      200 cities
      Capital Kill
      Random City Selection

      Estimated play time...2 years so do not commit to playing unless you will finish the game good or bad (only excuse to drop out is your death)and if you do decide to quit then you must use abdication rule.
      Must commit to making your move at least within 48 hours unless you submit a request for vacation time and it is agreed to by a majority of players...limit 2 weeks vacation time once a year.

      Response to play must be emailed me by 12/15/11
      Game to start 1/2/12
    • Spratz86
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 28, 2011
        I'm in!

        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 28, 2011
          Good luck.

          Comment:
          For such a large size map 3000 x 3000, 200 cities seem very low. I've played games on maps 225 x 225 that went beyond a year with 3 and 4 players but more cities.

          Suggest no wrap for a map that size with up to 4 players -- too easy to get lost.

          48 hour rule.
          It's a great idea but people can't guarantee a 100% connection. Have seen several occasions where people have Internet problems with no way to connect for a few days to over a week. A few years ago, our town was hit with a freak October storm -- no electricity for 11 days -- a situation like that would stop your game dead.
        • gacuster7th
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 28, 2011
            Yes its a large map with few cities but thats what I like...each city then becomes hard to find and once you do you have to hold them at all cost. Also gets every unit in play that smaller maps do not...you must create convoys with support units in order to invade and hold your beach heads...find the games of this sort more of a challenge than smaller ones...as far as the 40 hour rule...not set in stone...once players get to know each other things can be explained and worked out....time limit not really a concern...wars do last for years :)....like the wrap feature...you have to protect each flank.

            --- In empire-deluxe@yahoogroups.com, John Spirko <john.spirko@...> wrote:

            > Good luck.
            >
            > Comment:
            > For such a large size map 3000 x 3000, 200 cities seem very low. I've
            > played games on maps 225 x 225 that went beyond a year with 3 and 4 players
            > but more cities.
            >
            > Suggest no wrap for a map that size with up to 4 players -- too easy to get
            > lost.
            >
            > 48 hour rule.
            > It's a great idea but people can't guarantee a 100% connection. Have seen
            > several occasions where people have Internet problems with no way to
            > connect for a few days to over a week. A few years ago, our town was hit
            > with a freak October storm -- no electricity for 11 days -- a situation
            > like that would stop your game dead.

          • D
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 29, 2011
              I'm curious if you've tried a map like this solo? I created one and looked at the map and the city layout and the cities look way too far apart. I was on a continent 300 spaces from north to south, and 300 spaces from east to west. Scanning the map (which was difficult because of the size of the thing), I couldn't find another city on my continent. It caused EDEE to slow down my computer, which has never happened.

              I understand what you're getting at, but I think you could make this happen with a 400x400 map with 200 cities. That's about 6% of the normal amount of cities, with the map large enough to make the game feel epic.

              Anyhow, that's just my two cents. Good luck with this!

              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 29, 2011
                I have played two complete games on that size map...both solo against 9 computer players...worked well...you have to have patience and use the stratagic map view a lot to click on what you need to see without having to scan the map. The size is what makes it unique...it may be 300 spaces between contients so you cannot just send a transport with 6 infintry and a couple subs as escort .....land and expect to stay long...its a lot of detail and planning...linked airfields become manatory, idealy spaced 18 spaces apart in order to make use of air transports and a strong naval taskforce with multiple fully loaded carriers to invade....I am currently on my third game against computers....after 2288 moves I only have explored 58% of the map and am ingaged in several hotly constested battles over 2 cites..your welcome to come aboard and play if you like....not too worried about players dropping out after awhile as long as they use Abdication to quit so their units become neutral. I know I will continue to play and I have another player who I know will not quit so if it comes down to it if everyone else quits after a while we still can continue 1 against 1.
                --- In empire-deluxe@yahoogroups.com, "D" <wiskerando@...> wrote:

                > I'm curious if you've tried a map like this solo? I created one and looked at the map and the city layout and the cities look way too far apart. I was on a continent 300 spaces from north to south, and 300 spaces from east to west. Scanning the map (which was difficult because of the size of the thing), I couldn't find another city on my continent. It caused EDEE to slow down my computer, which has never happened.
                >
                > I understand what you're getting at, but I think you could make this happen with a 400x400 map with 200 cities. That's about 6% of the normal amount of cities, with the map large enough to make the game feel epic.
                >
                > Anyhow, that's just my two cents. Good luck with this!
                >
                > --- In empire-deluxe@yahoogroups.com, "gacuster7th" <lyndaandjohnphelps@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Yes its a large map with few cities but thats what I like...each city then becomes hard to find and once you do you have to hold them at all cost. Also gets every unit in play that smaller maps do not...you must create convoys with support units in order to invade and hold your beach heads...find the games of this sort more of a challenge than smaller ones...as far as the 40 hour rule...not set in stone...once players get to know each other things can be explained and worked out....time limit not really a concern...wars do last for years :)....like the wrap feature...you have to protect each flank.
                > >
                > > --- In empire-deluxe@yahoogroups.com, John Spirko <john.spirko@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Good luck.
                > > >
                > > > Comment:
                > > > For such a large size map 3000 x 3000, 200 cities seem very low. I've
                > > > played games on maps 225 x 225 that went beyond a year with 3 and 4 players
                > > > but more cities.
                > > >
                > > > Suggest no wrap for a map that size with up to 4 players -- too easy to get
                > > > lost.
                > > >
                > > > 48 hour rule.
                > > > It's a great idea but people can't guarantee a 100% connection. Have seen
                > > > several occasions where people have Internet problems with no way to
                > > > connect for a few days to over a week. A few years ago, our town was hit
                > > > with a freak October storm -- no electricity for 11 days -- a situation
                > > > like that would stop your game dead.

              • Guyer Cranston
                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 29, 2011
                  Played a 5,000 x 5,000 with a thousand cities.  Great game. Finished in 10 weeks,  Wouldn't mind playing with you, but can't commit to the 48 hour turn around for that length of time.  Generally I tun a file within hours of receipt....Still, I'll give it a shot.  Let me know!
                • Tim Ailes
                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 29, 2011
                    Hahaha!! 5000x5000? I am very interested in hearing more about this size game.  Was it a random map? Was there certain rules you had to stay away from since the map was so large? How many players were there? How many human? etc...

                    Message 9 of 14 , Nov 29, 2011
                      Great your in... time frame on set in stone just dont want players setting there for several days holding up game..be in contact with you after getting all players set....right now 4...should be fun

                      Message 10 of 14 , Nov 29, 2011
                        test
                      • horhey
                        Message 11 of 14 , Nov 29, 2011
                          I'm in.. Guyer can vouch for me, I'm an active player.

                          Message 12 of 14 , Nov 29, 2011
                            Great...that makes 5

                            Message 13 of 14 , Dec 20, 2011
                              Ok ...looks like 5 committed players and one possible...everyone still committed email me a custer7thcav@... so we can get this up and running...if anyone else interested... still room up to max that can play. let me know...looks like it will be standard rules no mods.

                              Message 14 of 14 , Dec 26, 2011
                                MORDEFEUS

                                For those who have chosen to venture into this new found planet.....I.....CUSTER, Creator or this game tell you now....Leave This Land or be it known
                                to you the Invader.....There will be no mercy...only defeat will be your companion. Be it may that you do not heed my words....only in my sense of
                                fairness do I tell you thus.....the planet is very sparse with Mordefeus cities and there are lands that are vast with no signs that Beings ever
                                walked upon the land. Seemingly infinite oceans stretch before you. Before your eyes is only Darkness....Should you decide to venture forth....Let It Be
                                Known....there are others who share your insolence in entering my space....Death Awaits All.....Through my powers I will communicate with you. You may
                                chose your worthless name and the name of our infested Capital....I will have my servent enter the name you have chosen.....this will be the name carved
                                upon your tombstone....send forth your chosen names via email to me. I will announce the text characters you have chosen so that all shall know your name
                                and from whence you came.
                                Since I am the Master of this game...I...The Most Powerful....do offer terms of the quest....My servent tells me at present there are 7 committed
                                players....6 Mortals and I.....this should make for a most challenging contest....computers are a mere lowly threat compared to a Being.....chose wisely
                                your arsenal....The road ahead will be hard....many a perilous obstacle stretchs before you.....Send forth your suggestions for the game...of course
                                omitting mods since I have not chosen to avail myself to consider those..... I have no knowledge of such things.....Time is short before battle begins
                                but I all will be heard and I will have final say so as to the rules of engagement should a tie come forth on any matter.... This is not a mere fire fight but a long engagement.....possibly taking multiple years..... for those willing to endure the hardship and stay the fight the rewards of possible victory await.

                                2-10 players (7 current players)
                                Map 1000X1000 wrap both ways
                                Land/water.... 60/40
                                System weather
                                No treaties/No unit gifting
                                No buy points
                                Nothing visible
                                200 cities
                                Capital Kill
                                Random City Selection

                                Still not too late for 3 more players...let me know if interested...latest sign up date 12/28 at 5PM CST