EDEE

  • t
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 14 4:26 PM
      First let me say that I've been playing Empire since the DOS version days. When the windows ver came out (deluxe) I bought that. No game I have ever owned, and I've owned literally hundreds over the years, has given me as much pleasure and replayability. (is that a word?) All the upgrades in operating systems didn't prevent me from playing this game. It worked fantastically all the way up through XP. In January this year I upgraded to a new computer with Windows 7(x64) pro. All the while following Mark's purchase and enhancements to Empire Deluxe through this group. Thinking to myself it sounds pretty good but I never felt the need to upgrade to EDIE or EDEE. Well, I tried to install my very old copy of Empire Deluxe and no matter how I tried I just couldn't get it to install. I searched the internet and found a place to download a free version of Deluxe that supposedly would work on my new computer. Well inherently I had a problem with doing that even though I owned the old version, ethically it wasn't for me. So I said what the heck, the old version owed me nothing so I'll break down and buy EDEE. I've gotta tell you I'm so glad I did! Mark and all the people who worked with him on the development and the release of this game did a remarkable job. In all my years of gaming, and its been a lot I'm 55 I have never experienced a game update so finely crafted as EDEE. I could go on and on about how impressed I am with EDEE but I won't bore you all with it. You all know how great a job Mark did with this. I've been playing EDEE for about a month now and I'm still learning the pieces and interface. I have no doubt that this was the best $40 I've ever spent on a computer game. I truly expect it to give me many, many years of enjoyment and a bazillion hours of great play. Just had to let you know and to publicly thank Mark and a lot of you here for a job well done. Thanks again! Tom D.
    • Andrew Nuxoll
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 14 5:13 PM
        I feel an overwhelming urge to say ditto on this.  I played a lot of years on both versions of the game and it was such a treat when EDEE was completed.  I've already logged hundreds of hours on it.

        :AMN:

        On 03/14/2011 04:26 PM, t wrote:

[...]

      • Gary Long
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 14 8:47 PM
          Hi,

          If you still want to run your old version, let me know. I can tell you how to run it on Win7.

          -Gary

[...]

        • t d
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 15 5:02 PM
            Hi Gary,

            Thanks for your offer to help me get the old version running on Windows 7.  I'd appreciate any help you can give me.  I also have a game called Flight Command 2 that was published by Avalon Hill and came out about the same time as Empire Deluxe.  I've been unable to get it to run on Windows 7 too and would love to get it running as well.  I've checked around the net and wasn't able to come up with a way to get it to install.  Thanks again.

            Tom D.

[...]

          • Nathan Foley
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 15 7:08 PM
              I run it with DosBox.  I was also able to get it going in the XP environment in Win7, but It didn't run as smoothly.

              Nathan

[...]

            • Chuck N
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 19 12:19 PM
                I agree with Tom's assessment of Mark's EDEE.  And if you enjoy that version, suggest you give the EDEE Ultra mod version a try.  I have been playing it for nearly two years now and there is no going back for me :)

                Chuck

[...]

              • Armand
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 19 11:17 PM
                  --- In empire-deluxe@yahoogroups.com, Chuck N <empirechuck@...> wrote:

                  > I agree with Tom's assessment of Mark's EDEE.  And if you enjoy that version, suggest you give the EDEE Ultra mod version a try.  I have been playing it for nearly two years now and there is no going back for me :)
                  >
                  > Chuck

                  EDEE Ultr Mod Version?, where can you aquire it?
                • Sjaak van Kleef
                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 20 3:22 AM
                    Is there any reason to move from EDIE to EDEE?
                    I own EDIE and play it regularly but not on-line.

                    Sjaak

[...]

                  • Barry
                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 20 7:43 AM
                      I have both games and, while I can understand why a lot of people enjoy EDEE I personally much prefer EDIE.  It's the same game I've enjoyed since the early 80s.  EDEE is really a different game with a different flavor.  Not a bad game, but not really Empire.

                      Barry

                      Message 10 of 13 , Mar 20 8:13 AM
                        Thanks, Barry.

                        Way back I played the Empire version for DOS where all the units where letters (lower case and upper case) and it was exciting.
                        Later I got a copy of the Interstel version 2.05C (1989 or so) which I still have and I still play this, using DosBox. To me that is Empire.

                        EDIE is great because it is virtually the same (with the addition of different kinds of terrain and bombers) and with Fubster's DLL you have control over the world map (% of land and sea, etc.) which is really nice, but it still is Empire.

                        So I guess I'll stick with that then.

                        Sjaak

                        Message 11 of 13 , Mar 20 2:46 PM
                          Well, I never had EDIE so I can't really speak about it but it looks like you can set up the game in EDEE to have it play with the same pieces and rules as Empire Deluxe.  I love learning the new pieces a little at a time and figuring out the strategy of deploying each of them as well.  It's really been fun.

                          Tom D.

                          Message 12 of 13 , Mar 20 2:57 PM
                            Yeah, I agree. I have had every version that has come out since 1992.
                            And it is nice to have EDEE cuz it does the exact same things that the
                            other versions do and, if you want it to, has many more options.
                            Actually I cant believe that I have had this game for a while and am
                            just now messing with the Order scripts! I should have been using that
                            much earlier!