Re: [empire-deluxe] EDIE vs 93 windows edition

  • Tim Ailes
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 21, 2010
      Hehe. I bought my Strategy Guide from some thucker on Ebay. Was happy to
      make the purchase. It would be neat if we could port pior AIs for use
      with EDEE. Just an idea.

      Steven Woodcock wrote:

      > The Empire Deluxe Official Strategy Guide is what you're talking about,
      > Barry....a great reference for both the '93 and EIDE versions.
      >
      > Mine has a place of honor directly behind my computer desk.....I /highly
      > /recommend this book, if folks can find it.
      >
      > Steve
      >
      > Barry wrote:
      > >

      > > Re ships vs planes, in the old ED, the computer player would almost
      > > never use a full transport to attack a plane. In EDIE it happens all
      > > the time. Also when attacking a city from a transport, armies had the
      > > advantage in the old game. In EDIE it seems to be a toss-up. The
      > > same is true with fighters vs bombers. In the old game fighers had a
      > > distinct advantage and in EDIE it seems about even.
      > >
      > > At one point in the life of the original Empire Deluxe, maybe it was
      > > in the late 80s or early to mid 90s, they published a book about the
      > > game, other than the manual. I don't know who wrote it but I'm pretty
      > > sure I remember it came from the same company that made ED. I
      > > remember buying it at Barnes and Noble. It had charts showing the
      > > advantages I mentioned above, along with many others. So I'm pretty
      > > sure I'm right.
      > >
      > > Barry
      > >
      > > --- On *Mon, 6/21/10, arcticpostman /<spqrzy@...
      > <mailto:spqrzy%40gmail.com>>/* wrote:
      > >

      > > From: arcticpostman <spqrzy@... <mailto:spqrzy%40gmail.com>>
      > > Subject: [empire-deluxe] EDIE vs 93 windows edition
      > > To: empire-deluxe@yahoogroups.com
      > <mailto:empire-deluxe%40yahoogroups.com>
      > > Date: Monday, June 21, 2010, 1:47 PM
      > >

      > > after week+ of playing, I must say I much prefer the original
      > > edition much better.
      > >
      > > 1) I have noticed that when you load a saved game you get the same
      > > player screen as before, hitting "okay" and on to the game.
      > > Problem is, with the 93 windows edition, I was able to edit at
      > > this step before continuing the game play. This created great fun
      > > as I could decide to give the computer player better production
      > > than before. This is no longer possible.
      > >
      > > 2) the graphic update is hardly an inprovement. Much prefer the
      > > old graphics.
      > >
      > > 3) Ships appear to be a lot more vulnerable to airpower. More
      > > gaming will tell.
      > >
      > > The only improvement is the larger map size.
      > >
      > > Based on what I have here I do not think I will consider getting
      > > the other KillerBee edition.
      > >
      > > I may just dust off my old XP lap top and fire up my old empire
      > > deluxe on it.
      > >
      > > Till later.

    • Steve Patterson
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 8, 2010
        I recently got a new Windows 7 PC (Home Premium) and EDIE runs just fine.  No Win7 Professional or any special compatibility modes needed.

        You can set a short-cut to a program to any Windows version compatibility mode, which I had thought was only available in Professional.  I can also run "Civilization Call to Power" in Win95 mode and it works fine.  Even with XP Home, I had to run CTP in Win95 compatibility mode.  FYI.

            - SteveP

        On 6/21/2010 3:13 PM, Barry wrote:

        I got Windows 7 Home Premium on my laptop and I bought the upgrade to Professional for $80 so I could get XP mode.  It may have added other features.  I'm not sure.  But that's what I wanted.

        I've used XP mode for a number of things and I'm glad I got it.

        Barry

        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 8, 2010
          Thanks for the tip about Civilization Call to Power.  I'll give that a try.  I tried it once.  I forget which computer it was.  It didn't work and I didn't try anything to get it to work.  I just uninstalled it and let it go.

          Barry