System 7

  • arcticpostman
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 7, 2010
      Hi, thanks for the replies.

      I think I may just buy the KillerBee edition.

      I have two questions.

      1) Does the Empire Deluxe Enhanced edition come with the 2 different versions. The classic and the revised one together?

      2) I want to keep playing the classic 93 edition I have played forever. Will the Empire Deluxe Internet edition keep me happy? Can I make bigger maps than just 150 x 200?

      Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

      thanks
    • Barry
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 8, 2010
        I have IDIE installed and it will make a game up to 256x256.

        I've found that the AI in these games isn't as good as that in the older game.  I have the 93 edition also (or something like it; I forget exactly what year) and it has a more rational computer opponent.  Mark insists that code hasn't changed but my experience convinces me otherwise.  I'm guessing that, because programs are complex, there was some unintentional change.

        However, the new features he's added are well thought out and they make a big difference.  I play both of them from time to time although I play IDIE a lot more.  I only play small fast games anymore, anyway.

        I also have IDEE and that's had so many changes it's really a different game and the AI is really poor.  If you want the old Empire with some nice addtional features but the same gameplay, I suggest IDIE.

        Barry

        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 8, 2010
          Hi

          Mark might correct me but I think EDIE (Empire Deluxe Internet Edition) is the original code base recompiled to run under XP and onwards.  I think he also squashed a few bugs like the plane with infinite fuel supply.

          EDEE (Empire deluxe Enhanced Edition) is all new  code (to a large extent).  It is the one that allows huge maps and a massive number of AI opponents (During beta testing I had 500 AI running at the same time).  It also has additional units and the ability to add new units.  Note adding new units really is for human to human games as the AI does not know what to do with them unless you modify the AI script.  (If you want to go down that road there are heaps of articles and people around to help)

          Some players  say the new AI engine is not as clever as the old EDIE AI.  To this end players like Rich have brought out a cut down unit set called SoloMod.  In other words they strip out the new units and tweak the capabilities of existing units.  This is possible because the units now have their performance factors stored in a a database which can be modified unlike EDIE where these factors were hard coded into the game.

          I suggest you down load the trial and have a play.  I can't remember if the trial version is time limited or turn limited but you will soon get a taste for it.

          Of course if you are a C++ coding and AI hero you can rewrite the AI portion of the game - the code is available.

          I think despite the arguments over which game (EDIE or EDEE) has the better AI, EDEE does allow you more tweaks to tune the game to taste.  Trying playing 20 AI opponents with 10 times your production rate on a massive and see how you go.

          Note the random number generator seems a little less biased in EDEE although the AI does still bear a grudge if you start knocking off its units and cities so it does still do dumb things at times.  If this is an issue join one of the email games that crop up from time to time and play against humans.  When they do something dumb it is usually the first sign of an ambush.

          Cheers

          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 8, 2010
            I want to correct what may be the mistaken impression that I was saying EDIE is the better of the two games.  The question asked was about something to get Empire Deluxe as it used to be into newer versions of Windows and I said that I think EDIE is the likely choice for that.

            It's true that I prefer EDIE but I agree that IDEE is very nicely done and I understand that a lot of people prefer it.

            I think they're very different games, not just the same game with enhancements.  There's a lot of overlap but there's much that's different.  EDEE does give enough flexibitity to remove most or all of the differences but if you're going to do that anyway, why not get the one that's already there?  Making those changes isn't a simple thing to do.

            Of course some people will want both.

            Barry