New Empire game

  • Susie
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 19, 2010
      Just thought I'd pass this along in case anyone is interested. Empires of Steel is available at Battlefront.com. Very nice graphics, easily moddable, lots of options and a very good AI opponent. After following development for more than a year I think this is the next great Empire game. A demo is available.

      Rich
    • brycejones2
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 20, 2010
        Looks interesting. Is it worth the money?

        Looking at the demo.

        Bryce Jones

        --- In empire-deluxe@yahoogroups.com, "Susie" <rich12545@...> wrote:

        > Just thought I'd pass this along in case anyone is interested. Empires of Steel is available at Battlefront.com. Very nice graphics, easily moddable, lots of options and a very good AI opponent. After following development for more than a year I think this is the next great Empire game. A demo is available.
        >
        > Rich

      • Barry
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 20, 2010
          I installed the demo yesterday on a new laptop and it wouldn't run.  Very weird.  I double click the icon to run it and nothing happens.  I played around a little and gave up and uninstalled it.

          My new laptop has 64 bit Windows 7 Pro so maybe that's why.  I don't know.

          Barry

          Looks interesting. Is it worth the money?

          Looking at the demo.

          Bryce Jones

          --- In empire-deluxe@ yahoogroups. com, "Susie" <rich12545@. ..> wrote:

          > Just thought I'd pass this along in case anyone is interested. Empires of Steel is available at Battlefront. com. Very nice graphics, easily moddable, lots of options and a very good AI opponent. After following development for more than a year I think this is the next great Empire game. A demo is available.
          >
          > Rich

        • Larry Smith
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 20, 2010
            Suggestion: If you're handy with virtual machines at all (VMWare has a free version) you could load up a virtual PC with windows XP and be sailing.

            Also I believe (anybody out there confirm?) that Windows 7 has an "XP" mode I've heard of.  I just got to Windows 7, so I'll be finding all this out first-hand.

            I installed the demo yesterday on a new laptop and it wouldn't run.  Very weird.  I double click the icon to run it and nothing happens.  I played around a little and gave up and uninstalled it.

            My new laptop has 64 bit Windows 7 Pro so maybe that's why.  I don't know.

            Barry

            Looks interesting. Is it worth the money?

            Looking at the demo.

            Bryce Jones

            --- In empire-deluxe@ yahoogroups. com, "Susie" <rich12545@. ..> wrote:

            > Just thought I'd pass this along in case anyone is interested. Empires of Steel is available at Battlefront. com. Very nice graphics, easily moddable, lots of options and a very good AI opponent. After following development for more than a year I think this is the next great Empire game. A demo is available.
            >
            > Rich

          • David Sonneborn
            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 20, 2010
              If it has an XP mode, it is news to me.  I would be highly doubtful, as it will not run ANY DOS based programs, and XP will.

              David

              "Never in the history of the world has there been a situation so bad that the government can't make it worse."

              -Unknown

              Suggestion: If you're handy with virtual machines at all (VMWare has a free version) you could load up a virtual PC with windows XP and be sailing.

              Also I believe (anybody out there confirm?) that Windows 7 has an "XP" mode I've heard of.  I just got to Windows 7, so I'll be finding all this out first-hand.

              I installed the demo yesterday on a new laptop and it wouldn't run.  Very weird.  I double click the icon to run it and nothing happens.  I played around a little and gave up and uninstalled it.

              My new laptop has 64 bit Windows 7 Pro so maybe that's why.  I don't know.

              Barry

              Looks interesting. Is it worth the money?

              Looking at the demo.

              Bryce Jones

              --- In empire-deluxe@ yahoogroups. com, "Susie" <rich12545@. ..> wrote:

              > Just thought I'd pass this along in case anyone is interested. Empires of Steel is available at Battlefront. com. Very nice graphics, easily moddable, lots of options and a very good AI opponent. After following development for more than a year I think this is the next great Empire game. A demo is available.
              >
              > Rich

            • Barry
              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 21, 2010
                Windows 7 Professional has XP mode but you have to download it from Microsoft.  It doesn't come installed.  Actually if you get a computer with Win7 Pro it might but mine came with Win7 Home Premium and I did the anytime upgrade to Pro.

                XP mode is really just Microsoft Virtual PC with an XP virtual computer installed.  It seems to work out well.  I used Virtual PC for DOS stuff on my Vista machine for a while and then switched to VirtualBox, which I liked a little better.  But since XP comes with this one I went with it.  They're both good

                Barry

                Suggestion: If you're handy with virtual machines at all (VMWare has a free version) you could load up a virtual PC with windows XP and be sailing.

                Also I believe (anybody out there confirm?) that Windows 7 has an "XP" mode I've heard of.  I just got to Windows 7, so I'll be finding all this out first-hand.

                I installed the demo yesterday on a new laptop and it wouldn't run.  Very weird.  I double click the icon to run it and nothing happens.  I played around a little and gave up and uninstalled it.

                My new laptop has 64 bit Windows 7 Pro so maybe that's why.  I don't know.

                Barry

                Looks interesting. Is it worth the money?

                Looking at the demo.

                Bryce Jones

                --- In empire-deluxe@ yahoogroups. com, "Susie" <rich12545@. ..> wrote:

                > Just thought I'd pass this along in case anyone is interested. Empires of Steel is available at Battlefront. com. Very nice graphics, easily moddable, lots of options and a very good AI opponent. After following development for more than a year I think this is the next great Empire game. A demo is available.
                >
                > Rich

              • Barry
                Message 7 of 15 , Apr 21, 2010
                  Dos programs work fine in XP mode.  That's why I wanted it, too.

                  I suspect the reason they won't run otherwise isn't because it's windows 7 but because it's the 64 bit version.

                  Barry

                  Suggestion: If you're handy with virtual machines at all (VMWare has a free version) you could load up a virtual PC with windows XP and be sailing.

                  Also I believe (anybody out there confirm?) that Windows 7 has an "XP" mode I've heard of.  I just got to Windows 7, so I'll be finding all this out first-hand.

                  I installed the demo yesterday on a new laptop and it wouldn't run.  Very weird.  I double click the icon to run it and nothing happens.  I played around a little and gave up and uninstalled it.

                  My new laptop has 64 bit Windows 7 Pro so maybe that's why.  I don't know.

                  Barry

                  Looks interesting. Is it worth the money?

                  Looking at the demo.

                  Bryce Jones

                  --- In empire-deluxe@ yahoogroups. com, "Susie" <rich12545@. ..> wrote:

                  > Just thought I'd pass this along in case anyone is interested. Empires of Steel is available at Battlefront. com. Very nice graphics, easily moddable, lots of options and a very good AI opponent. After following development for more than a year I think this is the next great Empire game. A demo is available.
                  >
                  > Rich

                • Susie
                  Message 8 of 15 , Apr 22, 2010
                    I have win 7 x64 ultimate and it runs fine as is. Same with others. You might like to post on their forum. The dev is quick to help.

                    Rich