Re: [empire-deluxe] Windows 7

  • Daddy Rabbit
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 19, 2010
      Yes.

      From: rlfjrlfj <lawson@...>
      To: empire-deluxe@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Fri, February 19, 2010 7:19:46 PM
      Subject: [empire-deluxe] Windows 7

      On a separate note, does dosbox work under Windows 7?

      <*> Your email settings:
          Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to:
          (Yahoo! ID required)

      <*> To change settings via email:
          empire-deluxe-digest@yahoogroups.com
          empire-deluxe-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

    • arcticpostman
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 7, 2010
        Hi, I have been playing Empire deluxe for ages. I have the CD rom edition for windows 3.1 in 1994. Has worked great in Windows 98, Xp and Vista. Alas, I have just bought a newer computer and have not been able to get the game to install in Windows 7. After many hours trying, I am lost. Does anyone have any suggestions?
      • Barry
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 7, 2010
          If you have Win7 Pro you an use the XP emulator to run Empire Deluxe.  It works fine on mine.  On my older laptop with Vista I used VirtualBox and that also worked fine.

          I run EDIE on both of these laptops without the emulation but for the old versions the emulation is needed.  It's also needed for EDEE.  I wish they'd update that.

          Barry

          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 7, 2010
            That is true.  I believe the reason it won't work is that the game is DOS based, and Win7 eliminated the DOS basing from Windows.

            David

            "Never in the history of the world has there been a situation so bad that the government can't make it worse."

            -Unknown

            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 7, 2010
              Hi,

              I Empire Deluxe is such a great game, you shouldn't be denied, just cause you have a new computer :) And while alot of people will suggest XP Virtual mode, there is another way. I'm at work and don't have my Win7 machine to test on right now, but follow instructions below and it should work.

              You probably need to install the DOS version in an "elevated command prompt".

              Try this:
              -Go to ORB(Star) and in the search bar type CMD when you see the listing in the search bar, right click on it with your mouse and choose Run as Administrator. The DOS window will appear. Go to your CD drive and install Empire Deluxe like you normally would. Hopefully it will install as it always has.

              Even of it installs, though, your probably not done. If it creates the shortcuts for you, now you need to tell the shortcuts to run in Administrator mode and run as a previous version of windows, or "Compatibility Mode".

              Do this:
              -Go to the short cut in your start menu and right click on it. Choose the COMPATIBILITY tab. Click the box for Run this program in... Now scroll to the bottom and also check the box for Run this program as administrator.

              Hopefully that works. It does for most older games/programs. Let us know if it works for you. If your interested in why/how this works, I can type up a brief explanation for everyone. BTW, this will work for almost ANY older program.

              Take Care,
              -Gary

              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 7, 2010
                Hi

                If you don't want the challenge of tweaking your system to run the older code, another simple solution is to buy an upgrade at www.killerbeesoftware.com.  The latest version is EDEE which is the next generation after EDIE.  Note some still think the older version is better (and I believe that is also available at the site ) if that is what you want.  Cost is pretty low considering.

                You can also get Perfect General there also if you are into land battles.

                You can even down load a free trial and see if you are happy.  I know people will say "I have already paid for it why pay again" - but heck the big boys (Microsoft, Apple, Adobe ...) have been doing it for years.  Also the new owner had to buy the original code and he has put a fair bit of effort into upgrading and making with compatible with XP onwards.

                The newer version has support and patches (I think we are up to patch 10) to fix bugs, although most seem now to be squashed.  The new version allows much bigger maps and has the possibility of adding new units although you will have to teach the AI how to use them or else stick to playing against a human.

                 If you want to use one of the modified unit sets like SoloMod Mod you can easily load it up and make the new game look much like the old tried, true and much loved EDIE.

                I think the investment is worth the pleasure gained.

                I have run EDEE on a Win 7 machine with no drama.  I set up a 500 by 500 map with 50 AI players (but no human as a test) and 10 times production rate and it purred along for days before I wanted my machine back to do some other things and had to shut it down

                Good luck and enjoy