Windows 7

  • rlfjrlfj
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 19, 2010
      I will be upgrading to Windows 7 in the near future. Does EDIE work on Windows 7? Thanks.

      - Lawson
    • Nathan Foley
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 19, 2010
        I'm not sure.

        As for the old Empire Deluxe, I haven't been able to get it running on Windows 7 (it ran without DOSBox on XP).  I haven't tried in a few months though and DOSBox may have been updated in the meantime.

        Nathan

        On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 10:08 AM, rlfjrlfj <lawson@...> wrote:

        I will be upgrading to Windows 7 in the near future. Does EDIE work on Windows 7? Thanks.

        - Lawson

      • David Sonneborn
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 19, 2010
          I am not sure about EDIE, but EDEE works fine on Windows 7, so I would give it a high likelyhood.

          David

          "Never in the history of the world has there been a situation so bad that the government can't make it worse."

          -Unknown

          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 19, 2010
            I use it in Vista but I do have a few problems with icons disappearing sometimes.  Usually it's okay.

            IDEE, on the other hand, is totally unreliable in Vista.

            I have no idea if this says anything about these in Windows 7 but it's what I know.  I think when I get a Windows 7 machine I'm going to be sure to get or upgrade to Professional so it'll have the included XP which may solve such problems.

            Barry

            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 19, 2010
              Yes the Professional is the way to go. Thanks.

              --- In empire-deluxe@yahoogroups.com, Barry <barryem@...> wrote:

              > I use it in Vista but I do have a few problems with icons disappearing sometimes.  Usually it's okay.
              > IDEE, on the other hand, is totally unreliable in Vista.
              > I have no idea if this says anything about these in Windows 7 but it's what I know.  I think when I get a Windows 7 machine I'm going to be sure to get or upgrade to Professional so it'll have the included XP which may solve such problems.
              > Barry

            • Andrew Platfoot
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 19, 2010
                Hi

                I tried EDEE and PGIE on the Win 7 RC1.

                EDEE would play quite well for a while (several hundred turns) and then die.  It would not crash it just sat there in a pause mode..  Units would not take orders and the game just stopped.  I was pushing it with a max sized map and several hundred (yep hundred AI) to force it along.  I tried this several times gradually reducing the number of AI opponents.  All this did was change how long it lasted before it froze.  Still played well and a lot of fun while it lasted.

                However I did get another game with 4 or 5 AI (no human players) to run a max map to the end. I have not tried it on a production copy of Win 7 yet.

                I spoke to MOK and he felt it was probably easily fixed with a fresh compile under Win 7.

                PGIE played perfectly under Win 7 (unlike me) I got murdered every time.

                Cheers

                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 19, 2010
                  On a separate note, does dosbox work under Windows 7?
                • Daddy Rabbit
                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 19, 2010
                    Yes.

                    On a separate note, does dosbox work under Windows 7?

                    <*> Your email settings:
                        Individual Email | Traditional

                    <*> To change settings online go to:
                        (Yahoo! ID required)

                    <*> To change settings via email:
                        empire-deluxe-digest@yahoogroups.com
                        empire-deluxe-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                  • arcticpostman
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jun 7, 2010
                      Hi, I have been playing Empire deluxe for ages. I have the CD rom edition for windows 3.1 in 1994. Has worked great in Windows 98, Xp and Vista. Alas, I have just bought a newer computer and have not been able to get the game to install in Windows 7. After many hours trying, I am lost. Does anyone have any suggestions?
                    • Barry
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jun 7, 2010
                        If you have Win7 Pro you an use the XP emulator to run Empire Deluxe.  It works fine on mine.  On my older laptop with Vista I used VirtualBox and that also worked fine.

                        I run EDIE on both of these laptops without the emulation but for the old versions the emulation is needed.  It's also needed for EDEE.  I wish they'd update that.

                        Barry

                        Message 11 of 13 , Jun 7, 2010
                          That is true.  I believe the reason it won't work is that the game is DOS based, and Win7 eliminated the DOS basing from Windows.

                          Message 12 of 13 , Jun 7, 2010
                            Hi,

                            I Empire Deluxe is such a great game, you shouldn't be denied, just cause you have a new computer :) And while alot of people will suggest XP Virtual mode, there is another way. I'm at work and don't have my Win7 machine to test on right now, but follow instructions below and it should work.

                            You probably need to install the DOS version in an "elevated command prompt".

                            Try this:
                            -Go to ORB(Star) and in the search bar type CMD when you see the listing in the search bar, right click on it with your mouse and choose Run as Administrator. The DOS window will appear. Go to your CD drive and install Empire Deluxe like you normally would. Hopefully it will install as it always has.

                            Even of it installs, though, your probably not done. If it creates the shortcuts for you, now you need to tell the shortcuts to run in Administrator mode and run as a previous version of windows, or "Compatibility Mode".

                            Do this:
                            -Go to the short cut in your start menu and right click on it. Choose the COMPATIBILITY tab. Click the box for Run this program in... Now scroll to the bottom and also check the box for Run this program as administrator.

                            Hopefully that works. It does for most older games/programs. Let us know if it works for you. If your interested in why/how this works, I can type up a brief explanation for everyone. BTW, this will work for almost ANY older program.

                            Take Care,
                            -Gary

                            Message 13 of 13 , Jun 7, 2010
                              Hi

                              If you don't want the challenge of tweaking your system to run the older code, another simple solution is to buy an upgrade at www.killerbeesoftware.com.  The latest version is EDEE which is the next generation after EDIE.  Note some still think the older version is better (and I believe that is also available at the site ) if that is what you want.  Cost is pretty low considering.

                              You can also get Perfect General there also if you are into land battles.

                              You can even down load a free trial and see if you are happy.  I know people will say "I have already paid for it why pay again" - but heck the big boys (Microsoft, Apple, Adobe ...) have been doing it for years.  Also the new owner had to buy the original code and he has put a fair bit of effort into upgrading and making with compatible with XP onwards.

                              The newer version has support and patches (I think we are up to patch 10) to fix bugs, although most seem now to be squashed.  The new version allows much bigger maps and has the possibility of adding new units although you will have to teach the AI how to use them or else stick to playing against a human.

                               If you want to use one of the modified unit sets like SoloMod Mod you can easily load it up and make the new game look much like the old tried, true and much loved EDIE.

                              I think the investment is worth the pleasure gained.

                              I have run EDEE on a Win 7 machine with no drama.  I set up a 500 by 500 map with 50 AI players (but no human as a test) and 10 times production rate and it purred along for days before I wanted my machine back to do some other things and had to shut it down

                              Good luck and enjoy