ANNOUNCIING EDEE TOURNAMENT - $500 1ST PLACE PRIZE

  • Soaring Eagle
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 11, 2009
      I am moderating an EDEE Tournament. It is a Benefit Tournament where half of proceeds are returned in prizes and the other half to go for the establishment of a Food Bank in Hart County, Kentucky to be run by Liberty Baptist Church.

      This is a four game series with a $500 1st Place Prize.
      There is a one time $50 entry fee which covers all four games.
      Tournament is limited to 264 slots. An individual can only acquire up to 4 slots.

      Each game will be identical except for spiral city selection and selection of Specialty Production cities. Each game will have only 4 players. Winners will then be matched with winners in the next game (just as 2nd placers will be grouped together; plus 3rd placers together; plus 4th placers together).

      Here are the game details:

      We will use John Spirko's CORNERS map with his latest revised Unit Database SpeedMod 1.70. John will not be playing in this tournament as he has been secured as the technical adviser.

      4 Corners - 4 players - plus moderator 801 cities
      200 x 200 No wrap - players start in corners and head for the center.

      Each player gets 7 cities to start - 6 at 200 production and 1 at 250 production.

      There is 1 capital that must be protected from capture. (Moderator gets 1 city in the center of the map, then resigns after turn 1 after game is successfully launched).

      There are many roads/bridges over deep water. (890 road squares). Roads over deep water that are destroyed cannot be rebuilt. Some roads/bridges are not completed.

      There are several clusters of 4 cities where the production has been advanced to around 150-165.

      There are neutral fortresses that can be captured. Some contain a LR missile.

      A few LR missiles, SR missiles and Scout Sats are in neutral cities and can be captured.

      The scenario was built for use with SpeedMod 1.70 - see Speed Mod Manual for complete description of all unit changes and additions. Speed Mod was designed to increase production and movement speed for larger maps such as this one. Plus many unit revisions allow for the advantage/disadvantage of terrain in battle odds calculations.

      Prizes will return $6,410 to 74% of players.

      Tournament winners will be based on total points earned over all 4 games played. Points are awarded as follows:

      Game winner - 4 points;
      2nd place - 3 points;
      3rd place - 2 points;
      4th place - 1 point in each game played.

      After Round 1, we will place all winners in Division I, 2nd place in Division II, 3rd place in Division III, and 4th place in Division IV. 64 players in each division.

      After Round 2, each Division would similarly sub-divide into 4 classes per division; also determined by how each placed in game 2. 16 players in each class.

      After Round 3, each class would similarly sub-divide into 4 sections per class, also determined by how each placed in game 3. 4 players in each section.

      After 4th game, we'd have one person undefeated with 16 points and would be the Champion, winning a prize of $500.00.

      We'd have four 2nd place winners with 15 points, each winning $100.00 (three from Division I and one from Division II).

      Points Prize # of winners
      16 $500 1
      15 $100 4
      14 $ 75 10
      13 $ 50 20
      12 $ 40 30
      11 $ 30 40
      10 $ 20 44
      9 $ 11 40
      Total $6,410 189

      So there will be winners in all Divisions and Classes.

      Here is the link
      http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/EMPIRE_EDEE_MAJOR_Tournament_Benefit/

      Pastor Darrell Ray
    • David Sonneborn
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 12, 2009
        Go ahead and sign me up for it.  Sounds like fun!  How will payment be handled, paypal?

        David Sonneborn (aka Talon)

        "Never in the history of the world has there been a situation so bad that the government can't make it worse."

        -Unknown

        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 12, 2009
          yes, through paypal.  Link to paypal is on the Group homepage.  The lnk to the group is:

          Yes, it should be dynamite!

          To: empire-deluxe@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 12, 2009
            I'd wait to send my $50.

            Is this legitimate charity/chance or a new form of personal enrichment?

            I'd like 3 or 4 players I recognize to step up and state they know the organizer.

            Sorry. I don't think there are 264 EE players willing to put down $50,  and doubt even 264/4

            steyrhahn

            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 12, 2009
              I understand your skepticism.  I've been a player for many many years.  I have played with David in the past.  Others are Bruce Johnson, John Spirko, Kerry Drake, etc.

              You can visit the Commonwealth of Kentucky, Secretary of State Office and see that Liberty Baptist Church of Horse Cave, KY, Inc. is a valid Church and I am its pastor.  We are small.  The Church was started when we returned home to Kentucky to care for my wife's father who was dying with cancer in late 2005.  We are small.  But we are still striving to make a difference for those in need in our county.

              By the way, the 264 was a typo, it was supposed to be 256.  Yes, even divided by 4, it will be a task getting that many users.  But we can try.  I think we have designed a good stategic tournament for serious game players.  Like I said, this will not be a quick tournament.  It will likely last two years or more.  But what fun.  Also a good time to use this to try and recruit new players to the game.  Anyway, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

              Darrell Ray

              To: empire-deluxe@yahoogroups.com

              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 12, 2009
                Hi Darrell,

                I don't think Empire is a good venue for fund-raising tournaments.  The games take too long and the community is too small.  I also think you run a serious risk of attracting cheaters to this tournament.  I ran a series of Phantom Dust tournaments a few years ago and the moment I added prize money ($100 out of pocket, strictly to encourage participation) my events became deluged with opportunistic exploiters.  In a tournament of this size (with 64 simultaneous matches going on) I just don't see how you're going to effectively police everything.

                I would suggest reducing the scope of this event in both directions.  Try doing a 16-man tournament, same rules, no money.  Then scale up if that goes well.

                Nathan

                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 12, 2009
                  My apologies to stinger. I've become a bit jaded.

                  Good luck with the tourney.

                  steyrhahn

                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 12, 2009
                    Thank you.  No need to apologize though.  Everyone needs to always be on their guard.

                    To: empire-deluxe@yahoogroups.com
                    From: steyrhahn@...
                    Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 13:35:05 -0800

                    Message 9 of 11 , Nov 15, 2009

                      From a legal perspective, I must state that Killer Bee Software and Mark Kinkead are in no way affiliated with this tourney, etc. etc.

                      That said, good luck to all that choose to compete!

                      Message 10 of 11 , Nov 15, 2009
                        Thank you, Mark.

                        To: empire-deluxe@yahoogroups.com
                        From: mok@...
                        Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2009 08:12:50 -0600

                        From a legal perspective, I must state that Killer Bee Software and Mark Kinkead are in no way affiliated with this tourney, etc. etc.

                        That said, good luck to all that choose to compete!

                        Message 11 of 11 , Nov 19, 2009
                          I am ready to assign you to a game.  You need to join the group at:

                          Darrell

                          To: empire-deluxe@yahoogroups.com