Strategy Tips

  • jonseagull2112
    Message 1 of 25 , Jan 25, 2009
      All, I have been playing Empire, and now EDIE for many years but I
      never seem to get all that great at it. Can you offer me any general
      (or specific) strategy tips for improving my play? Thanx.
    • Andrew Nuxoll
      Message 2 of 25 , Jan 25, 2009
        That's a great question! I suspect you are selling yourself short. If
        you've been playing for years you have learned things and are probably a
        challenging opponent.

        I don't consider myself a great player either but here are things I
        believe, though I'm sure some of you will disagree with some of them:
        1. As a general rule, expand as fast as you can in the early game.
        Everything else is of far far less importance.. A lot of tactics are
        about fulfilling this strategy.
        2. Build a helicopter as your first non-infantry unit. It's the
        fastest way to get troops moving around and over ocean tiles. See rule #1.
        3. Don't build that fighter or bomber until you have a couple cities
        because you need the production for expansion and most of the time you
        can find your way around without needing the extended recon that such
        units provide. See rule #1.
        4. Cruisers are better than battleships. The extra production time
        isn't worth the 4 hp. Also cruisers can spread out and cover more
        ground at the same cost.
        5. When you encounter an enemy in the early game, don't try very hard
        to take his cities. Just search in another direction for neutrals. See
        rule #1.
        6. The middle game is often won or lost because you started building
        Seabees, Cruisers and Satellites too early or too late. Selecting the
        right moment for these units is crucial. Learning to identify that
        right moment is something that I'm still not good at...but getting better.
        7. When transports are in the water within "reach" of enemy territory,
        try to keep a fighter or bomber in the air above it at all times.
        8. Be fastidious about resting your units when they get fatigued. This
        especially applies to cities if you can do it but it's usually not worth
        delaying production for.
        9. Don't neglect submarines. You always want to have a few in the
        water that your enemy is always worried about them but not so many that
        you're wasting production better spent on other things.
        10. Don't build destroyers or patrol boats. They are too weak to be
        effective.
        11. Don't build supply units. If your efficiency is high you're doing
        something wrong.
        12. The best satellite is the one your enemy doesn't know is there.
        Avoid flying over enemy cities with your satellites if you don't have to.
        13. Don't build transport planes (AT). They carry less, don't move any
        more swiftly than a transport ship and are easier to kill.
        14. Don't build helicopters after the first one or maybe two. Switch
        to transports once you have a few cities. You will expand faster.
        15. Don't build anti-aircraft, missiles or artillery unless you're
        certain you're going to get good use out of them (which is rare). These
        units can make a huge difference in specific cases but in practice it's
        almost impossible to get them in the right place at the right time.
        16. In the early game, having the right ratio of transports to ground
        units is crucial. In a perfect game, each transport that arrives to
        load up should exactly enough units to fill it up waiting for it.
        That's what you want to strive for. If a transport does arrive and
        there aren't enough units to fill it up, don't wait. Get moving and
        take more cities! See rule #1.
        17. In the middle and late game, have a ratio of about 8:1 AR to IN (or
        maybe even bigger) after the early game. Infantry may be able to
        traverse mountains but they eat up your efficiency at twice the rate per
        firepower. Armor are more likely to become elite too.
        18. Build aircraft as far from your front lines as possible. They can
        move quickly and thus the extra distance they have to travel is less of
        a delay than it would be for slower moving units.
        19. When selecting cities to let rest, pick cities that are far from
        your front line. Again, you want to minimize the distance that a unit
        has to travel before it gets use.
        20. An enemy ship that is resting in a city is vulnerable to aircraft
        attacks.
        21. Keep track of what your enemy is building and try to estimate when
        your enemy starting building big units (like satellites and cruisers).
        Wait until the unit is 80-90% done before you bomb the city.
        22. Don't bomb cities that are making smaller units. It's more
        unit-efficient to just take the city and you'll be glad for the extra
        production when that city is yours.
        23. If you really need to hold a position, then you really need to
        build fortresses there. If you have time, put an artillery into each
        one. But you won't have time.
        24. Aircraft carriers: Has anyone every gotten their money's worth
        from one of these? Don't build them.

        Ack, I'm sure there are two dozen more...I'm just nothing thinking of them.

        :AMN:

        jonseagull2112 wrote:

        > All, I have been playing Empire, and now EDIE for many years but I
        > never seem to get all that great at it. Can you offer me any general
        > (or specific) strategy tips for improving my play? Thanx.

      • Warren
        Message 3 of 25 , Jan 25, 2009
          > All, I have been playing Empire, and now EDIE for many years but I
          > never seem to get all that great at it. Can you offer me any
          general
          > (or specific) strategy tips for improving my play? Thanx.

          Hi,

          I can't claim greatness but I think I do ok. Because of the kind of
          game EDIE is I have to be kind of general. This how I play so it
          might not be the best strategy.

          1. I play the Advanced Game, I figure you do as well but figured I
          should be clear on what my observations apply
          to.

          2. I play on a ver 3.11 or 3.5 world, I don't understand the DLL
          creation one very well and seem to end up with a map full of 200%
          cities that all have specializations. I leave all the settings at
          default for 3.5 games.

          3. I play one the largest map with 3 expert computer opponents. Ok I
          am stacking the deck here, 3 as opposed to 5 opponents usually will
          give you enough time to have a fair number of cities before you run
          into anyone. It also allows the computer opponents to build
          themselves to the point none of their cities can produce anything in
          a reasonable time.

          4. My first unit is a bomber to explore to find where to attack.

          5. Ground units, I build Armor over infantry unless where I'll be
          fighting is heavily wooded, mostly rough or all rivers. Armor is
          around twice as effective as infantry and only take 1 supply point.
          Be very careful of cities with spec in either it is really easy to
          just sentry the units when they finish and before long your
          production is shot to hell and you have 1 city somewhere with 25
          armor in it.

          6. Transports, I suck at these. I am forever running out of them and
          still I never build enough. It is just that they are slow and supply
          hungry beasts, 4 with Armor, 7 with infantry. However because they
          are slow you should try and have 1 or two with units in them at all
          times to move to take the cities your exploration finds.

          7. I build a lot of Destroyers and send them off to explore from the
          start of the game on. They aren't to useful against any other Naval
          unit except Transports and half the time Subs. Once I find an
          opponent I start building up a few destroyers in the area to go after
          Transports. Destroyers are fast enough to get around any screening
          ships and usually sink or at least cripple transports. Even if you
          don't find his transport until after it launches its invasion still
          try to sink the thing.

          8. Submarines are an ehh kind of unit for me. I do build them, but
          they are the cities I am most likely to turn off if my production is
          taking a big hit. One thing I do do with them is explore enemy
          territory, if you find a sea based choke point you might want to
          leave a sub around to ambush Transports.

          9. Cruisers are second only to Destroyers as my Naval unit of
          choice. They take less time to build than Battleships, can do all
          the Battleship missions and see submarines. It is kind of depressing
          however when an enemy battleship does show up and blow the crap out
          of 3 or 4 cruisers before you sink it.

          10. Carriers have only 1 use for me and that is exploration. Put 4
          fighters on one, arrange the fighters to patrol 3 squares out and
          back in an x pattern and a huge amount to territory gets exposed each
          turn. I have never gotten to much use out of them as attack craft,
          fighters blow up to easy and with out fighters a Carrier is an
          expensive target.

          11. Battleships. I only build these if I have a city specializing
          in them, but every city that does is building them, I almost never
          turn them off.

          12. I build Bombers to explore and set up patrols with. I rarely use
          them to bomb cities unless I have a lot of Bombers around. I am
          planning on taking the city and don't want to cripple it if I don't
          have to.

          13. Fighters are another unit that I am ambivalent about. Pretty
          much I only build them for my carriers, though they explore faster
          than Bombers.

          14. Airbases, build them to extend your exploration range or if you
          need one to bridge a gap between cities but ruthlessly disband any
          you don't need, they suck up a supply unit as well.

          15. Cities, Production and other highly personal choices. Everyone
          has a different opinion on how to go about managing the supply
          situation. I prefer not to suffer more than a 15% reduction in
          production. That's because if you get surprised and it takes 8 turns
          to build an Infantry your going to be in trouble. On the fringe I
          build Ground units and planes, more ground than planes. They build
          quicker and you are going to need them if the enemy is around. You
          also probably have an empty Transport or two in the area. I try to
          get all my cities to 100% at least, again those are the ones in the
          middle of my territory.

          The rest of these are random thoughts

          If you are build a transport and have a city building ground units to
          send to it, shut the ground unit city off once you have enough units
          to fill the transport being built. Your ground unit city picks up a
          few percentage points each time you do this.

          If you find an enemy Transport with a Bomber and the Bomber is the
          only unit you have in the area move beside the Transport but don't
          attack. Almost always the Transport will move away you can do this a
          couple times to get the time to move reinforcements into the area.

          Don't keep a bunch of Armor or Infantry in a city on the front line
          magically it seems an enemy transport appears to destroy your
          reserve. Keep them near a city to stage an immediate counter attack
          if it is taken from you.

          Use Cruisers and Battleships to block ground units from invading your
          cities if you can. The world building engines seem found of 1 square
          wide pieces of land, a battleship beside this means it gets to blast
          any ground unit trying to go by

          I only use Paths for Ground units and Planes, I prefer the waypoint
          method of moving ships long distances. Also Setting waypoints beside
          cities build Armor and Infantry can be labeled with what they are
          making. Seeing as I tend to have a lot of Destroyers rather far
          flung exploring it is also handy to be able to mark what sank one 112
          spaces away.

          Again I can't claim to be a Guru but this works for me.

          Warren
        • sonneborn9@aol.com
          Message 4 of 25 , Jan 25, 2009
            Pretty good points, most I agree with, but for #24, I get great use out of them -- late game invasions need them especially, they are escorts for transports, plus if you have HEs, they are extra troop transports.  #4 BBs are good for shore bombardment -- necessary against FT.

            David

            jonseagull2112 wrote:

            > All, I have been playing Empire, and now EDIE for many years but I
            > never seem to get all that great at it. Can you offer me any general
            > (or specific) strategy tips for improving my play? Thanx.

          • Matthew Shelton
            Message 5 of 25 , Jan 25, 2009
              jonseagull2112 wrote:
              > All, I have been playing Empire, and now EDIE for many years but I
              > never seem to get all that great at it. Can you offer me any general
              > (or specific) strategy tips for improving my play? Thanx.

              I'll tell you some of the practices I've developed from playing Empire
              since my Commodore 64 days.

              Exploration and colonization are your highest and second-highest
              priorities. You can't win without a large military, you can't have a
              large military without owning a lot of cities, and you can't own a lot
              of cities if you don't know where they are.

              To facilitate this ladder of success I usually build at least two
              fighters first and set them to auto-explore. They cover the most ground
              of any aircraft and in short order will give you a good picture of your
              neighborhood. After they have been sent on their way I start on infantry
              or armor to take the cities nearest my starting.

              I weigh carefully which cities are the highest value, production
              efficiency is the most important but distance is also a factor. A city
              of 100% four squares away is more immediately valuable to you than a
              city of 130% that is ten to twelve squares away. But most of the time
              you will want to take the highest-efficiency city of an area first and
              spread out from it.

              As soon as you have two or three cities building land units, set your
              best city building transports. I usually assign two or three
              infantry/armor-producing cities to each transport-producing city as
              "colony factories" and automate the process with movement paths and
              auto-sentry orders so I don't have to micromanage everything.

              At some point you will want to start building fighters again; set them
              to auto-explore so you will constantly be expanding your map of the
              world whenever you colonize a new area. But fighters have a limited
              range, so once you have about a dozen cities and a couple of "colony
              factories" set up, I will start one or two cities building destroyers in
              order to explore beyond the limits of my fighters. On mostly water maps
              they are invaluable. I often set them on methodical zig-zag patterns
              (setting destroyers to auto-explore is a waste of materiel given how far
              they can wander). Once a destroyer discovers a new land mass I will have
              to circumnavigate the coast line to discover size and the nearest
              coastal cities. Destroyers are your fighters of the sea: they are good
              for running down transports and submarines but can only be relied upon
              in swarm fashion when dealing with capital ships. You will also run high
              losses using destroyers to explore enemy territories of AI opponents
              since they like to mass armies in cities as well. Leaving a destroyer
              adjacent to an enemy city at the end of its movement is an open
              invitation for it to be sunk by a mob of infantry and armor.

              Once you have found a new land mass, get a transport there ASAP. You
              have to weigh the value of land masses as well, which isn't so cut and
              dry, but generally speaking the more known cities the land mass has the
              more valuable it is. Give a slightly higher priority to Colonizing the
              nearer ones first, they are more defendable, although if you have made
              contact with an enemy you should assign a slightly higher priority to
              consolidating that land mass against countercolonization -- but if it
              looks like it will be a fight you can't win or sustain to the point
              where your expansion elsewhere will be hindered (such as the enemy
              having naval superiority in that area), your resources are better spent
              expanding elsewhere.

              When colonizing, keep an eye on your rate of expansion in all
              directions. A spherical area of influence is the most easily defended,
              versus expanding strongly east and west but very little north & south.
              Imagine the frontiers of your empire as being the "surface area" of an
              soap bubble. The more surface area your bubble has, more vulnerable it
              is to being intruded upon and bursting.

              On taking enemy cities: When at all possible, have an invading transport
              begin its turn out of sight range of a city (three squares out). This is
              ineffective if the surrounding area is being patrolled, but this tactic
              usually works against AI opponents *grin*. Park the transport so you can
              do a full move on your next turn and land units on the city. You may
              well lose the transport if you don't take the city (and maybe even if
              you do), but the importance of getting a beachhead on enemy territory is
              more important than a single empty transport (especially if you can take
              the city on the first or second go --- assuming you showed up with a
              full transport). This tactic is even more effective when you can take
              two or three coastal cities of a small landmass (and even some inland
              cities if you use armor), reducing the enemy's ability to counterattack
              with local reinforcements.

              Cruisers work better than destroyers for operating in enemy waters and
              for escort duty (but destroyers make good escorts for transports as
              well, if for no other reason than they can go kamikaze on an enemy
              fighter or other destroyer nearby and give the transport a chance to get
              away). Cruisers also operate well as city defenders of coastal cities
              (like artillery). Two or more cruisers stationed in a coastal city can
              hold off incoming infantry almost indefinitely (one cruiser needed for
              every two squares of land that's adjacent to the city). Battleships also
              work well for this and will survive greater attrition. These two capital
              ships are also nice for softening up beaches or for offensively clearing
              adjacent areas in order to forestall an immediate counterattack on a
              city you've just taken.

              I haven't found much use for carriers except as mobile patrol stations
              or as waypoints for sending fighters to the front when there's too much
              space between cities and it would be inefficient to build an airbase.

              Once you've expanded beyond thirty or forty cities or so, build at least
              one Engineer or SeaBee to start exploiting all those oil deposits. They
              will help keep your economy from redlining when you have run out of
              neutral cities to colonize but still to build your military up.

              On important land masses I like to keep the forward coastal areas
              occupied by sentried infantry and armor OUTSIDE my cities. I know it's a
              big resource drain to keep them around but I feel safer knowing I have
              some local troops on the ground ready to mobilize to fight an invasion
              by sea, rather than having enemy units show up out of nowhere behind the
              lines with my capital-ship-building cities blinking out of existence and
              no forces nearby to mount a counterattack. If the threat of invasion is
              minimal I might keep just the coastline peppered with sentried units
              (not a solid mass but with every two squares occupied). For a slightly
              greater threat I will put two layers of defense on the coastline (with
              the units distributed in staggered formation like the black squares of a
              checkerboard, while taking into account the local terrain .... the
              pattern doesn't have to be perfect but it should take advantage of
              defensive terrain). For seriously-threatened or highly valuable land
              masses I might even fill up the continent with checkerboarded land
              units, depending of course on whether it's practical to fully occupy a
              land mass of that size and the odds that an invasion will come from the
              rear, and the likely size of enemy forces to be landed. But even in a
              lightly defended land mass I like to keep a token force of a couple
              infantry near each city 'just in case'. (The alternative to massed
              sentries -- and air patrols -- is of course dropping mines along a
              coast, but I haven't played with them often enough to decide if they are
              yet better than mobile infantry & armor that can retake captured
              cities.) All of this is with a view toward keeping as many cities on No
              Production as you can squeeze out of your economy. The more NoPro cities
              you have, the larger military you can maintain, including the sentried
              units. It's a precarious balancing act between defense and offense.

              Roads are useful for making your production lines more efficient and
              less cluttered. Occasionally I have put many colony factories operating
              on a land mass with unusually difficult terrain and have had to deal
              with traffic jams of infantry and armor all pathing through the same few
              bottlenecks of easy terrain. It's a mess that distracts me from the more
              important work of sending their brethren off to die for me. Running a
              road across a mountain range for armor to keep things running smoothly
              is a big help.

              Aircraft patrols are decent at detecting incoming transports, but it's
              important to cover as much sea area as possible. Overlapping patrols is
              inefficient unless you are really determined not to let a single enemy
              unit sneak through undetected. Air patrols aren't so effective at
              *stopping* an incoming transport as they are at giving you advance
              notice so you can mobilize nearby defenses... and sometimes they can act
              as a deterrent to scare away the solitary transport sent to a continent
              once thought unoccupied.

              Don't be afraid to disband units that are a drain on your economy and
              aren't doing you any good by sitting around doing nothing. This
              especially applies to sentry units in areas no longer in reasonable
              danger from invasion, and even includes full transports waiting to be
              sent but are so far in the rear areas that it would be quicker to build
              a new transport and its land units from somewhere closer to the front lines.

              Nukes are less useful as offensive or defensive weapons as they are a
              way to give your opponent the finger! Occasionally it will be easier to
              simply nuke a heavily-defended city (or fortress, or similar unit)
              rather than try to wear down the opponent's area defenses.

              As well as building conventional canals out of them, you can build a
              string of Seaports linking an inland high-production city with the sea
              in order to let you build capital ships out of it.

              When you're sending out transports to colonize foreign lands, go all
              out. Don't do it namby-pamby and put just one or two infantry on there.
              Fill that TR to capacity. You may well need that last infantry or armor
              unit to take a stubborn neutral city and establish a beachhead.

              Let's say you have one transport full and traveling to one open land
              mass and there's another land mass nearby with a couple of known cities.
              Even one of them is huuuge and so much juicier a target, don't throw
              everything on the transport on just the one land mass. It will be more
              efficient to use up just enough land units to take just one city on one
              land mass (the nicer one) and move your TR with the remaining land units
              to the other land mass and take one city there too. You already have a
              transport in the area with armies on it; it will be easier to start with
              one city on each than to take one continent and try to colonize the
              other from it, or wait for a second TR to come along, or send the empty
              TR back home for a refill and come all the way back. (On the other hand
              you might keep the TR in the area to grab a few infantry from one land
              mass to ferry it to the other if you can afford to have the TR hang
              around doing nothing for a dozen turns.)

              That's pretty much all I can think of right now, hope this helps.

              --

              -Matthew
            • jonseagull2112
              Message 6 of 25 , Jan 26, 2009
                I appreciate all the helpful hints that have been provided in the last
                couple of days. I do have some strategy, of course, so here it is
                (note I play EDIE not EDEE).
                1. Setup: typically 3-4 opponents, production set to 3 for myself, 1
                or 2 for all the others (since I am taking all of them on).
                2. Build 1 infantry, then 1 fighter. Army looks around for another
                city, then the fighter does the same.
                3. If 2 cities on land mass, one builds transports, the other infantry.
                4. As the number of cities increases, unless there are a lot of
                obstacles I build armor over infantry. faster, longer lasting.
                5. Expansion is primary focus. Only units I ever build are infantry,
                armor, transports, bombers and fighters. While ships may suck up a
                lot of aircraft, the planes can be much more rapidly moved around the
                world.
                6. The computer always holds a grudge. If I can find them, I will
                usually keep a 'distractor' force engaged to keep the enemies
                attention while I expand around them.
              • Matthew Shelton
                Message 7 of 25 , Jan 27, 2009
                  jonseagull2112 wrote:
                  > 6. The computer always holds a grudge. If I can find them, I will
                  > usually keep a 'distractor' force engaged to keep the enemies
                  > attention while I expand around them.

                  The first sentence is so true. :) In the ED strategy guide they talk
                  about a "hostility" score built into the game that the AIs assign other
                  opponents based on how much combat they engage in with you. If you
                  harass a particular AI enough it will focus on you more than the other
                  players. (I don't remember if the hostility score also goes up when they
                  attack you too, or just when you attack them.)

                  At least for EDIE, the strategy guide is a good book to have if you can
                  find it.

                  --

                  -Matthew
                • Andy Young
                  Message 8 of 25 , Jan 27, 2009
                    The AI in EDIE is supposed to hold a grudge, but I have not found it so.  The AI will always attack me because I am the only opponent close to it.  Once you start attacking the AI it is easy to rack up so many hit points that it won't forgive you.  I think it is one per attack on an AI unit and 5 for attacking a city and it only forgives one attack per turn.  I have seen one AI ignore another AI transport in favour of attacking me.  They all hate me.

                    (even paranoids have enemies)

                    GeneralError

                    .

                  • andrew_platfoot@yahoo.com.au
                    Message 9 of 25 , Jan 27, 2009
                      Hi

                      (These comments will work for EDIE but are really intended for EDEE).

                      I have spent a long time tying to evolve a generic strategy that an AI could use.  It is obvious from all the comments you have received everyone has his or her own "flavour"

                      My formula is to build a bomber as my first unit. (Set the production to 1 unit only - you do not need a bomber fleet yet).

                      The advantage of a bomber is it is cheaper than a helicopter or air transport and can scan a bigger area than a fighter.  Although a fighter is faster, in the early stages you will not have the ground forces to take advantage of the fighters faster coverage.  Beside a bomber can fly further.

                      If you set the bomber to auto explore ( select bomber and type X) it will start to scan all points of the compass.  Of course when it finds something it will pause for instructions.

                      Then after you have 1 bomber  start building armour.  Although twice the cost of infantry, they move at twice the speed and can hit a neutral city harder so the chances of a neutral shrugging off your attack is much less.

                      I tend to bypass weak neutral cities if a stronger one is not too far away.  (By stronger city I mean higher efficiency).  When you capture them they tend to drop around 10% so a weak city can really be useless in the early days of a campaign and you waste units capturing them instead of a stronger one. (Of course a stronger neutral has more chance of shrugging off your attack - this is a risk of war).

                      Of course if you have to cross mountain ranges to get to a stronger city you have to swap to infantry to get across and attack.  Armour does not like mountains.

                      In speading out you need to be on the lookout for a good coastal city.  Once you find it conquer it and start building a naval transport.  Then go back to grabbing the rest of the cities on your island.  However keep an eye on teh transport and have units ready to board as soon as it is ready.  Don't leave the transport sitting around doing nothing..

                      If you are very unlucky and end up on a single city island build 3 armour then 1 transport and invade a nearby neutral island.  Your original island can go back to building armour once you have launched you transport.

                      In a decent sized map you will not see an enemy for perhaps 100 moves, so you have time.

                      Once you have a steady source of armour (or infantry if you find a city that specialises in infantry and can turn them out fast) build a few fighters to help explore the local area as your empire grows.  They also act as border control if an enemy bomber, air transport or helicopter turns up looking for trouble.

                      Once you have a source of ground troops and a few fighters start building up your transport fleet.  You need a healthy number of cities to supply forces. So expand quickly before the enemy finds you, and establish your empire.  Loosing the ocassional city is not so bad if you cover a large area - you can always come back and retake what you lost.

                      Despite what others say I like destroyers and start building them early and sending them to explore.  The trick is to find where you enemy home lands are located and start expanding in the other direction while strengthening the front facing your enemy.  You really do not want to start invading and battling until you have a good military force and plenty of reserves.

                      I tend to build even numbers of subs and destroyers to search and patrol.

                      Note I tend to let cities with less than a 100% production effiency to just sit and build up capacity.  In this way a 70% or 80% city can beef up to 120% or more in the early days and then start to churn out units when required.

                      Helicopters and air transports are expensive and I use them sparingly.  They are good for moving infantry (for a helicopter) or tanks or 2 infantry for air transports to nearby islands to start a new invasion against neutrals.  But look out for enemy fighters they can make air transports an expensive loss.

                      In the same way you can send naval transports out unescorted until you find the enemy then they will need naval escorts to find enemy threats and warn the transport to steer away.  To loose a transport full of armour is a big loss.

                      In the same way light and heavy artillery are expensive and should be used to back up armour and infantry.  They are easy to loose.  Production control and utilisation is a key part of the game.

                      I tend to build a set of trucks and then heavy guns because big guns need to be carried to the battle zone.

                      Heavy guns are good defense for blasting incoming transports and enemy warships but they are less usefull for cut and thrust of a land battle.  Light artillery is good to blast enemy tanks but they need to be screened by your own armour or they become one shot wonders.

                      Anti aircraft guns are good for holding off enemy planes that are in close proximity  to your major cities producing forces and keeping enemy planes away from armies you are building up for an invasion.  You don't need heaps but you do need to plan their production, movement and use.

                      Subs are good because they can move fast on the surface or dive and lurk around enemy ports looking to knock off transports.  I tend to not use them against enemy naval forces.  I use them for scouting monitoring and killing transports. (Think about American and Japanese sub tactics in WW2 and you will see what I mean)

                      Battleships are nice if you have mheap production capacity.  They can be used to hunt down and kill enemy cruisers but they are too expensive to be sent off as armed raiders unless you have a nearby port they can return too for repairs.  During an invasion they can pick off enemy ground forces on the coast but look out for enemy missiles and heavy guns. An enemy bomber fleet can also make a mess of your battleships.

                      I like carriers - they can project air power into a region and help explore, watch an enemy and even try and take air control away from the enemy..  (Think about current US carrier strategies).

                      With a carrier you can support up to 24 planes at once.  You have 8 on deck, 8 flying out, 8 flying back to base.  24 planes can ruin your enemies day.  But the micro management of such a configuration every turn is tough.  I do move carriers with 10 or so fighters so I can absorb some losses and I do tend to keep one or two fighters on board in sentry mode so if you have a fighter coming back short of fuel and deperate to land you can launch a sentry and create space.  I also use carriers as mid ocean staging posts to move fighters to front line cities where the water crossing is too great.

                      Note a carrier can also accept a helicopter carrying an infantry unit on board.  Watch out though it reduces the carriers capacity for carrying fighters.  This is a handy way to extend a helicopters range or even create a short of marine assault ship.  Mind you a single infantry is not going to do much against enemy troops and may not even take down a neutral.  Of course the infantry can be dropped by the helicopter and used to build an air base to allow fighters, bombers and even air transports to fly in and dominate an area.

                      I tend to start a carrier and then a cruiser.  I use cruisers as part of the shield and escort for  a carrier.

                      Finally forts are good to build up as a hardened defence against enemy assualts (especially if there in an anti aircraft and heavy gun inside.  You can also start to stock up a few armour ready as reinfocements for a main assault.

                      When it comes time to invade you will need air power possibly staged off multiple carriers to suppress his fighters and bomber and to protect your transports, cruisers to keep his destroyers away from your transports.  Infantry to cross mountains and tanks to take on his armour and infantry.  If you can bring in a second wave of light artiller to beat off his counter attacks and then land heavy guns with truck support and anti aircraft guns to defend your beach head you have quite a complex battle on your hands.  You need a decent stratgy or your will waste your time and effort in a war of attrition, because the AI will keep coming at you.  It is quite happy to throw helicpters and Seebees at you if that is the only foce it has available.  Some say this is dumb and perhaps it is, but that is the nature of the beast you are fighting.  THe English in the Crimea had a philosophy or either win or die where you stand becuase there is no way out, so perhaps it is not so wierd.

                      Satellites are good to spying on enemy lands but their cost and speed means you need a massive map in order to build up the production infrastructure to support and justify their development and deployment.

                      Seebees and engineers are good to build oil rigs.  Oil rigs allow you to boost production capacity.  You must not end up in a deficit resource situation.  In the interim you can build supply units which you can drain when desperate but planning resources is better than relying on short top ups.  If you are running a deicit in resources shut down some of you distant and weaker cities.  Don't produce units just for the hell of it or because you can't be bothered monitoring what is going on.

                      Engineers and Seebees are also good for mining areas.  You have noticed the AI tends to try and invade the same space over and over again so a well placed mine field can help defend a key city or a lonely port.  But mine fields take time to build and you probably need at leasta double layer (ie 2 rows)  This means leaving forces in teh area to protect until the mine field id established.  You need to check minefileds ocassionally witha Seebee or engineer to make sure some wandering enemy scout did not trip one off.  Unless you inspect the minefield with a mine laying unit, it will look intact but in reality may have developed some "moth holes".

                      Engineers and Seebees are also good for building ports on narrow sections of land (I can't spell isthmus ).  This can be helpful to build short cuts for naval units and transports by reducing sea travel time for moving equipment up to the front.  They are also good for repairing damaged units.

                      Engineers can also build short sections of roads to allow armour to pass mountain ranges.  But you have to weigh the time and cost versus building the same units elsewhere. (Seebees can also build roads but not through forests or mountains).

                      I agree missiles and especially nukes are just too damned slow  to builld and expensive unless you want to enjoy the simple pleasures that come from torching an enemy city or fortress.

                      Well that's my take and philosophy.  There are lots of others things to think about such as should a naval transport wait until it is fully loaded before setting out on an invasion of neutral cities?  Should it unload and return to base to get more troops or loiter about the new cities and reload with troops from the newly captured cities before moving off again.

                      What level of escort do carriers need and should you attack on multiple fronts which confuses the AI but stretches your resources.  How many transports do you use in a full blown invasion and do you build a proper US carrier battle group (subs, destroyers, cruisers and carriers) to project power or do you use an English model a carrier and a couple of destroyers with a sub out front scouting.

                      It is these endless combinations that make EDIE/EDEE such an appealing game and so much fun.  You make the  game and the fun and not some piece of exotic software.

                      Rich swears by his Solo game because that is the style of game he likes.  Oblivion and others have created massive databases of all sorts of units and Thoba loves historical but large accurate games.  Steve likes creating mythological games and someone else created once a space game using special units and graphics.

                      Note EDEE is a very different animal to EDIE.  The original EDIE is like a chess game of unit against unit.  EDEE is more a strategy game where planning,  resourcing and organisation is just as important as force composition and projection.

                      Enjoy!

[...]

                      Stay connected to the people that matter most with a smarter inbox. Take a look.
                      Message 10 of 25 , Jan 27, 2009
                        The hostility score goes up one point for each unit of theirs you kill.

                        ===============================
                        Steven Woodcock
                        From the High, Snowy Mountains of Colorado

                        Message 11 of 25 , Jan 27, 2009
                          andrew_platfoot@... wrote:

                          > I agree missiles and especially nukes are just too damned slow to
                          > builld and expensive unless you want to enjoy the simple pleasures
                          > that come from torching an enemy city or fortress.

                          I have to agree, as non-mobile, one-shot units, with the mixed blessing
                          of creating Wasteland that can hinder you as well as your opponent, the
                          long build times make the nukes impractical to use. If the SN was 36/30
                          and the LN was 72/60 I think they would be closer to being worth
                          building as other than novelty units.

                          Or if it was impossible for them to miss, that would help them be more
                          viable as well. (That would also hold true for Missiles.)

                          Out of all the units in the game, the nukes and the missiles should be
                          no-miss given that there's a 100% for them to be consumed after
                          attacking. Only if a unit is "dug in" should there be a chance they will
                          survive a missile or nuke attack.

                          As a throwaway suggestion I think it would be pretty cool to have
                          "nuclear mines" or a kind of "nuclear suicide bomber" land unit, or some
                          other method of "salting the earth" with Wasteland as a defensive
                          tactic, perhaps to deny an enemy a beachhead or to blow up a city of
                          yours that you're probably going to lose anyway.

                          I may try a game or two with these modifications (minus the "salt the
                          earth" idea since I would have to research how to do that and it may not
                          even be possible without building a self-destructing unit); I will come
                          back with the results if I do.

                          Message 12 of 25 , Jan 27, 2009
                            Hi

                            If I was going to fiddle I think I would reduce mine laying to 1 or 2 turns.  I know you have to allow for mine manufacture but most countries start off a war with a stockpile. You could then seal off areas to hinder advancing enemy troops.  But then you may need better mine sweeping units.

                            I also think helicopters and air transports are too dear.  I think a HE should be about the cost of a fighter and an AT the price of a bomber.  That makes them a more interesting and useful unit.  But then the rules of engagement would have to be adjusted so the AI could effectively use them.  This gets dangerously close to reasoning about what to do at any point and the scripting language of EDEE makes that hard to define.

                            It all comes down to what do you find is a fun thing to do.  Then genius of EDEE is you can probably easily twig it to do what you want.

                            Cheers

                            > I agree missiles and especially nukes are just too damned slow to
                            > builld and expensive unless you want to enjoy the simple pleasures
                            > that come from torching an enemy city or fortress.

                            I have to agree, as non-mobile, one-shot units, with the mixed blessing
                            of creating Wasteland that can hinder you as well as your opponent, the
                            long build times make the nukes impractical to use. If the SN was 36/30
                            and the LN was 72/60 I think they would be closer to being worth
                            building as other than novelty units.

                            Or if it was impossible for them to miss, that would help them be more
                            viable as well. (That would also hold true for Missiles.)

                            Out of all the units in the game, the nukes and the missiles should be
                            no-miss given that there's a 100% for them to be consumed after
                            attacking. Only if a unit is "dug in" should there be a chance they will
                            survive a missile or nuke attack.

                            As a throwaway suggestion I think it would be pretty cool to have
                            "nuclear mines" or a kind of "nuclear suicide bomber" land unit, or some
                            other method of "salting the earth" with Wasteland as a defensive
                            tactic, perhaps to deny an enemy a beachhead or to blow up a city of
                            yours that you're probably going to lose anyway.

                            I may try a game or two with these modifications (minus the "salt the
                            earth" idea since I would have to research how to do that and it may not
                            even be possible without building a self-destructing unit); I will come
                            back with the results if I do.

                            --

                            -Matthew

                            Stay connected to the people that matter most with a smarter inbox. Take a look.
                          • Steve Patterson
                            Message 13 of 25 , Jan 27, 2009
                              All,
                                  I always play EDIE with a small map (one that fills the screen with nothing hidden), 100 cities, and 5 computer opponents all of equal production/combat.  It tends to be a shorter, but violent game that gets interesting very quickly.  Quick expansion is even more important in this case, and enemies will find you fast, often before you get off your home island.  Focusing on killing an opponent while they're small can work, but the delay in exploration/expansion can cost you.  With this type of game I have the following strategy on the home island (some matching other's and some different):
                              • I build infantry first and explore the home island (if it's big enough to explore).  They're usually small so I avoid the longer production time of armies until my home island cities are taken.
                              • Then I build 1 fighter.  If I am lucky enough to have two good cities, I'll have the new city do the fighter and then switch to a transport, while the home city goes to armies.
                              • I explore with the fighter (manually, but with everyone's comments I'll try "explore" to see how well it does).
                              • If a 1 good city island, I'll switch to infantries or armies after the transport is produced.  If it's a 1 city island small enough so no exploration is needed, I'll build in the following sequence:  1 fighter, 1 transport, 1 infantry.
                                  My general opinions/strategies based on this type of game:
                              • I set cities over 180 production building battleships, usually ending up with 3 cities.  I find they hold up far better than cruisers.  I use them for taking out enemy capital ships and bombarding when invading.  I only build cruisers if there's a specialty I can't resist.
                              • I never build carriers, but with a small map there's usually a city close enough for my needs.
                              • I never build submarines because mine never seem to win when attacking and die easily when attacked.  The enemy, however, builds subs and takes out my transports, battleships, and everything (except they die easily when attached by planes).  My sub crew  training must be lacking.
                              • Again, with a small map fighters explore better than destroyers.
                              • I think the enemies start with an aggression bias against me!  Sometimes at least.  They must attack each other, but almost always move apart instead of battling each other when I'm observing the event.
                              • If a city's production is below 83, I set it to no production until it reaches 83 (the default wake-up I set).  If it has a specialty that I'm not interested in, I let them sit until 91.  82 and 90 each take one more turn per item built.  If a contested area, I sometimes build infantry in cities under 83.
                              FYI.

                                  - SteveP
                            • Larry Smith
                              Message 14 of 25 , Jan 27, 2009
                                Regarding minefields, one interesting tactic is to use artillery or battleships/cruisers to dismantle them by blind combarding spaces before entering them.  Course, you could also bombard next to a SeeBee or Engineer to confirm the hit.  You've got ~50/50 chance per bombardment of clearing the square.

                                -Smitty
                              • Larry Smith
                                Message 15 of 25 , Jan 27, 2009
                                  Hmmm... Cities that can self-destruct?   Give them a 3-turn countdown?

                                  Message 16 of 25 , Jan 27, 2009
                                    Interesting idea - bit like the old WW2 flail tanks.  Don't clear them, just set them off

                                    Message 17 of 25 , Jan 27, 2009
                                      Yeswe could call it Krypton and have just one survivor who travels to Earth .... Nahh too wild an idea it would never take off

                                      Hmmm... Cities that can self-destruct?   Give them a 3-turn countdown?

                                      > I agree missiles and especially nukes are just too damned slow to
                                      > builld and expensive unless you want to enjoy the simple pleasures
                                      > that come from torching an enemy city or fortress.

                                      I have to agree, as non-mobile, one-shot units, with the mixed blessing
                                      of creating Wasteland that can hinder you as well as your opponent, the
                                      long build times make the nukes impractical to use. If the SN was 36/30
                                      and the LN was 72/60 I think they would be closer to being worth
                                      building as other than novelty units.

                                      Or if it was impossible for them to miss, that would help them be more
                                      viable as well. (That would also hold true for Missiles.)

                                      Out of all the units in the game, the nukes and the missiles should be
                                      no-miss given that there's a 100% for them to be consumed after
                                      attacking. Only if a unit is "dug in" should there be a chance they will
                                      survive a missile or nuke attack.

                                      As a throwaway suggestion I think it would be pretty cool to have
                                      "nuclear mines" or a kind of "nuclear suicide bomber" land unit, or some
                                      other method of "salting the earth" with Wasteland as a defensive
                                      tactic, perhaps to deny an enemy a beachhead or to blow up a city of
                                      yours that you're probably going to lose anyway.

                                      I may try a game or two with these modifications (minus the "salt the
                                      earth" idea since I would have to research how to do that and it may not
                                      even be possible without building a self-destructing unit); I will come
                                      back with the results if I do.

                                      --

                                      -Matthew

                                      Stay connected to the people that matter most with a smarter inbox. Take a look.
                                    • jbuu12
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Oct 3, 2011
                                        I know this is an ancient thread, but I thought I would share a tip that I use to good effect. My apologies in advance if it's been mentioned before or is overtly obvious.

                                        Don't use the auto-explore function. The computer doesn't explore land as efficiently as a human would. Sometimes it will bunch up units together and it doesn't explore as much squares as a human would. Since the exploration/exploitation phase is so critical, it's important that you explore as efficiently so you can grab cities as quickly as possible. The additional micromanagement can be a bit of a chore at times, but I find it's well worth it.

                                        Related to this, try to avoid moving in a N, S, E, or W direction when exploring or searching for the enemy. The reason for this is because the game is built on a grid interface where more area is carved out on the diagonal direction.

                                        For instance, if you have a cruiser and move 24 squares due north, you'll explore 72 squares. However, if you move diagonally, you'll carve out 120 squares.

                                        If you do need to move in a N, S, E, W direction, make sure to zigzag. In the above example, for example, if the cruiser zigzagged every 6 squares instead, e.g., NE 6 squares, then NW 6 squares, etc, it would be in nearly the same position as going straight north but with 117 squares explored (there is a bit of inefficiency depending on when you break your line). The principle obviously works for all units. However, some units probably want to keep a low profile, so
                                        don't use it when trying to sneak transports past your enemies :)

                                        --- In empire-deluxe@yahoogroups.com, "jonseagull2112" <jonseagull2112@...> wrote:

                                        > All, I have been playing Empire, and now EDIE for many years but I
                                        > never seem to get all that great at it. Can you offer me any general
                                        > (or specific) strategy tips for improving my play? Thanx.

                                      • David C
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Oct 3, 2011
                                          All of what Jbuu12 said is true.  Here are another few suggestions:

                                          Expanding rapidly at the start is the single most important key to winning.  Build one fighter for exploring at the very start of the game, then build ONLY armor and transports, and send them out (diagonaly) to the largest black areas.

                                          Navy's are almost worthless, especially for the first 100-150 moves.

                                          Build lots of fighters (they work well against transports) and bombers (they work well against armor), and send out lots of air patrols along your front lines.

                                          Keep your production at 100%, even if you have to have a lot of behind-the-lines cities  producing nothing.

                                          Hope this helps Jbuu12 get started in ED again.

                                          Weatherman

                                          On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 2:20 AM, jbuu12 <jbuu127@...> wrote:

                                          I know this is an ancient thread, but I thought I would share a tip that I use to good effect. My apologies in advance if it's been mentioned before or is overtly obvious.

                                          Don't use the auto-explore function. The computer doesn't explore land as efficiently as a human would. Sometimes it will bunch up units together and it doesn't explore as much squares as a human would. Since the exploration/exploitation phase is so critical, it's important that you explore as efficiently as possible so you can grab cities as quickly as possible. The additional micromanagement can be a bit of a chore at times, but I find it's well worth it.

                                          Related to this, try to avoid moving in a N, S, E, or W direction when exploring or searching for the enemy. The reason for this is because the game is built on a grid interface where more area is carved out on the diagonal direction.

                                          For instance, if you have a cruiser and move 24 squares due north, you'll carve out 78 squares. However, if you move diagonally, you'll carve out 124 squares, which is nearly a 60% improvement.

                                          If you do need to move in a N, S, E, W direction, make sure to zigzag. In the above example, for example, if the cruiser zigzagged every 6 squares instead , e.g., NE 6 squares, then NW 6 squares, etc, it would be in nearly the same position as going straight north but with 120 squares carved out (there is a bit of inefficiency depending on when you break your line). The principle obviously works for all units. However, some units probably want to keep a low profile, so don't use it when trying to sneak transports past your enemies :)

                                          --- In empire-deluxe@yahoogroups.com, "jonseagull2112" <jonseagull2112@...> wrote:

                                          > All, I have been playing Empire, and now EDIE for many years but I
                                          > never seem to get all that great at it. Can you offer me any general
                                          > (or specific) strategy tips for improving my play? Thanx.

                                        • gguyerc
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Oct 4, 2011
                                            Some additional starting stratagies: To avoid negative drain early in your construction phase assign two cities to the production of SB. Produce subs and destroyers as soon as possible to run in advance of transporters during your initial expansion. It is much cheaper to lose a sub or destroyer than a fully loaded transport. Whenever possible position a fighter of bomber over a transport as air cover. During negative drain situations shut down tired cities first...also continue to monitor SB and EN, it is often neccessary and more productive to disband these units and recreate them closer to the target.

                                            Message 21 of 25 , Oct 5, 2011

                                              I have similar strategies, including the movement methods below.  When exploring, I avoid sending fighters at a 45 or 90 degree angles since they return on the same path and don't cover any additional territory.

                                              I've set 83 as the EDIE default City wake-up number since 83 will build a armor/fighter/bomber in 14 turns (with normal production multiplier).  I've arbitrarily deemed this as an acceptable production level (vs. waiting for a City to get to 100).  If the City has a specialty, then I let it sit until 91 to get the same build capacity for non-specialty units.  99 gives you the same capacity as 100, so I would stop there if I wanted 100-level production.  I'm sure there are other "magic" production numbers, but I haven't bothered to find them.

                                              Early in a game after I get the following city production is going:  1 transport, a few fighters, and many armors, I usually take a high-production city and start a battleship.  By the time it pops out I usually need it.  I find Cruisers tend to be too fragile, but I build them if I find a city specialty of cruisers.

                                              I play a small map with 5 computer opponents, so that colors my strategies some.

                                                              - SteveP

                                              Message 22 of 25 , Oct 6, 2011
                                                With continuing production, i.e., the efficiency you get after you make the first unit, an 83% city will make a fighter unit in 12 turns. You might want to experiment using 87% instead of 83% for an efficient fighter city since you'll pump it out in 11 turns.

                                                I personally prefer 106% for most of my offensive cities, which creates a fighter in 9 turns. I pay a slight penalty since it takes 2 turns to go up 1% past 104%, but if I'm having supply issues, I'm going to need to take some cities out of production anyway, so I might as well use an efficient number so I'm ready to unleash maximum hell on my enemy when the time comes.

                                                If I'm still running into supply issues even after going to 106% (which happens quite a bit), I'll bump up fighter cities to the next tier at 118%, and then again at 134% (although games usually don't make it that far).

                                                There are different magic numbers depending on what units you want to create, although they really shine for high attrition, easy to produce units where reducing the production duration by a single turn makes a big difference.

                                                Here is a spreadsheet that might be helpful (the U is for specialized cities):

                                                EF IN AR U-IN U-AR
                                                67% 7 15 8 16
                                                68% 7 15 8 16
                                                69% 7 14 8 16
                                                70% 7 14 8 16
                                                71% 7 14 8 15
                                                72% 7 14 8 15
                                                73% 7 14 8 15
                                                74% 7 14 7 15
                                                75% 7 13 7 15
                                                76% 7 13 7 14
                                                77% 6 13 7 14
                                                78% 6 13 7 14
                                                79% 6 13 7 14
                                                80% 6 13 7 14
                                                81% 6 12 7 14
                                                82% 6 12 7 13
                                                83% 6 12 7 13
                                                84% 6 12 7 13
                                                85% 6 12 6 13
                                                86% 6 12 6 13
                                                87% 6 11 6 13
                                                88% 6 11 6 13
                                                89% 6 11 6 12
                                                90% 6 11 6 12
                                                91% 5 11 6 12
                                                92% 5 11 6 12
                                                93% 5 11 6 12
                                                94% 5 11 6 12
                                                95% 5 11 6 12
                                                96% 5 10 6 11
                                                97% 5 10 6 11
                                                98% 5 10 6 11
                                                99% 5 10 6 11
                                                100% 5 10 6 11
                                                101% 5 10 5 11
                                                102% 5 10 5 11
                                                103% 5 10 5 11
                                                104% 5 10 5 11
                                                105% 5 10 5 10
                                                106% 5 9 5 10
                                                107% 5 9 5 10
                                                108% 5 9 5 10
                                                109% 5 9 5 10
                                                110% 5 9 5 10
                                                111% 5 9 5 10
                                                112% 4 9 5 10
                                                113% 4 9 5 10
                                                114% 4 9 5 10
                                                115% 4 9 5 10
                                                116% 4 9 5 9
                                                117% 4 9 5 9
                                                118% 4 8 5 9
                                                119% 4 8 5 9
                                                120% 4 8 5 9
                                                121% 4 8 5 9
                                                122% 4 8 5 9
                                                123% 4 8 4 9
                                                124% 4 8 4 9
                                                125% 4 8 4 9
                                                126% 4 8 4 9
                                                127% 4 8 4 9
                                                128% 4 8 4 9
                                                129% 4 8 4 9
                                                130% 4 8 4 8
                                                131% 4 8 4 8
                                                132% 4 8 4 8
                                                133% 4 8 4 8
                                                134% 4 7 4 8
                                                144% 3 7 4 8
                                                154% 3 6 4 7
                                                182% 3 5 3 6
                                                202% 2 5 3 5
                                                223% 2 4 2 5

                                                Message 23 of 25 , Oct 6, 2011

                                                  Thanks for the table!

                                                                  - SteveP

> [...]

                                                  > arbitrarily deemed this as an acceptable production level (vs. waiting for a
                                                  > City to get to 100). If the City has a specialty, then I let it sit until
                                                  > 91 to get the same build capacity for non-specialty units. 99 gives you the
                                                  > same capacity as 100, so I would stop there if I wanted 100-level
                                                  > production. I'm sure there are other "magic" production numbers, but I
                                                  > haven't bothered to find them.
                                                  >

                                                  > Early in a game after I get the following city production is going: 1
                                                  > transport, a few fighters, and many armors, I usually take a high-production
                                                  > city and start a battleship. By the time it pops out I usually need it. I
                                                  > find Cruisers tend to be too fragile, but I build them if I find a city
                                                  > specialty of cruisers.
                                                  >

                                                  > I play a small map with 5 computer opponents, so that colors my strategies

                                                • Darius
                                                  Message 24 of 25 , Jan 6, 2012
                                                    I think that a lot of the game is about balancing air, sea, and land power, and about figuring out where your enemy is.

                                                    I like to start building a navy early, because by controlling the sea, you prevent your enemy from expanding beyond their current land mass. I use air power to scout and for fast deployment where I am being attacked. I tend to build more infantry than armor, especially on the front lines and in areas where I am expanding. (I find that the benefit of the armor's lower supply drain is outweighed by its lack of maneuverability over rough terrain, it's slower build time, and its lower effectiveness against bombers and CR/BB bombardment.)

                                                    I think that learning the details of unit sighting are key to this game. Some key factors are that aircraft have a sighting range of two and can be seen from two away, and satellites have a sight range of four and can be seen from four away. Most other units can only see one space away. So, for example, when you are bring a transport to your enemy's city, you should end its turn two spaces away from the city, to increase the likelihood of catching your enemy by surprise.

                                                    I really like Jbuu12's chart. I never really paid much attention to this and knowing these "magic numbers" is good. It has changed the way that I play and I think that learning how to take advantage of this can really help your game.

                                                    Could someone explain the mechanics of unit production? I had assumed that there was an accumulation of "production units" (similar to how production in Civilization works). and that a city at 100% efficiency would produce 1 "production unit" per turn, and a city at at 99% efficiency would produce .99 "production units" per turn. Thus, I would have guessed that a city at 99% efficiency would produce only 5.94 "production units" over the course of 6 turns, and thus require 7 turns to produce an initial infantry, but this is apparently not true.

                                                    It appears more like there is some sort of rounding up and rounding down function.
                                                  • Nathan Foley