Re: [empire-deluxe] Digest Number 920

  • Matthew Shelton
    Message 1 of 23 , Nov 20, 2008
      Wow, is this list still active? :)

      empire-deluxe@yahoogroups.com wrote:
      > There is 1 message in this issue.
      >
      > Topics in this digest:
      >
      > 1. Any one up for PBEM game?
      > From: spratz86
      >

      > Message
      > 1. Any one up for PBEM game?
      > Posted by: "spratz86" spratz86@... spratz86
      > Date: Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:21 pm ((PST))
      >
      > Newbie to the forum, but played Empire years ago. Recently purchase
      > EDEE and back into it again, looking for a little competition. I
      > checked the database, but looks like it's been a while since anyone
      > updated.
      >

      > Messages in this topic (1)

      -Matthew
    • Robert Yanch
      Message 2 of 23 , Nov 21, 2008
        Hi, I'm sort of in the same boat. Played a little PBEM a year or so ago. I would be up for a game if you are still interested.

        On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 11:13 PM, Matthew Shelton <matthiasfw@...> wrote:

        Wow, is this list still active? :)

        empire-deluxe@yahoogroups.com wrote:
        > There is 1 message in this issue.
        >
        > Topics in this digest:
        >
        > 1. Any one up for PBEM game?
        > From: spratz86
        >

        > Message
        > 1. Any one up for PBEM game?
        > Posted by: "spratz86" spratz86@... spratz86
        > Date: Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:21 pm ((PST))
        >
        > Newbie to the forum, but played Empire years ago. Recently purchase
        > EDEE and back into it again, looking for a little competition. I
        > checked the database, but looks like it's been a while since anyone
        > updated.
        >

        > Messages in this topic (1)

        -Matthew

      • Randy.R
        Message 3 of 23 , Nov 21, 2008

          So why is this list dying? has everyone gone somewhere else to share Empire Q&A and get opponents?

          steyrhahn

          > Newbie to the forum, but played Empire years ago. Recently purchase
          > EDEE and back into it again, looking for a little competition. I
          > checked the database, but looks like it's been a while since anyone
          > updated.
          >

          > Messages in this topic (1)

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

          -Matthew

          Message 4 of 23 , Nov 21, 2008
            From what I have observed this group is traditionally very quiet. I do not take it as a sign of the health of the forum, and I can guarantee you a lot of people are paying the game...just not too many people wanting to discuss Paris Hilton and Price William here, though cruzan's opinions on that subject might prove interesting...

            So why is this list dying? has everyone gone somewhere else to share Empire Q&A and get opponents?

            steyrhahn

            > Newbie to the forum, but played Empire years ago. Recently purchase
            > EDEE and back into it again, looking for a little competition. I
            > checked the database, but looks like it's been a while since anyone
            > updated.
            >

            > Messages in this topic (1)

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

            -Matthew

          • mike here
            Message 5 of 23 , Nov 21, 2008
              I'm still around. quiet but around :)

              So why is this list dying? has everyone gone somewhere else to share Empire Q&A and get opponents?

              steyrhahn

              > Newbie to the forum, but played Empire years ago. Recently purchase
              > EDEE and back into it again, looking for a little competition. I
              > checked the database, but looks like it's been a while since anyone
              > updated.
              >

              > Messages in this topic (1)

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

              -Matthew

            • Randy Redhawk
              Message 6 of 23 , Nov 21, 2008
                I dont play empires anymore mostly because I do not have the new version... wherever that is,

                However traditionally the last couple of years this list does not become active except during the winter months when people no longer have a place to play outside, usually the snowbirds will start talking first, followed by the sun folks. Then near summer it once again becomes inactive.

                To: empire-deluxe@yahoogroups.com
                From: mok@...
                Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 08:02:14 -0600

                From what I have observed this group is traditionally very quiet. I do not take it as a sign of the health of the forum, and I can guarantee you a lot of people are paying the game...just not too many people wanting to discuss Paris Hilton and Price William here, though cruzan's opinions on that subject might prove interesting...

                So why is this list dying? has everyone gone somewhere else to share Empire Q&A and get opponents?

                steyrhahn

                > Newbie to the forum, but played Empire years ago. Recently purchase
                > EDEE and back into it again, looking for a little competition. I
                > checked the database, but looks like it's been a while since anyone
                > updated.
                >

                > Messages in this topic (1)

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

                -Matthew

                Proud to be a PC? Show the world. Download the “I’m a PC” Messenger themepack now. Download now.
              • Andrew Peiman
                Message 7 of 23 , Nov 21, 2008
                  Robert,

                  I completly forgot about our little game do you still want to continue this game?

                  Have a nice day,
                  TheSalientOne

                  On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 11:13 PM, Matthew Shelton <matthiasfw@yahoo. com> wrote:

                  Wow, is this list still active? :)

                  empire-deluxe@ yahoogroups. com wrote:
                  > There is 1 message in this issue.
                  >
                  > Topics in this digest:
                  >
                  > 1. Any one up for PBEM game?
                  > From: spratz86
                  >

                  > Message
                  > 1. Any one up for PBEM game?
                  > Posted by: "spratz86" spratz86@yahoo. com spratz86
                  > Date: Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:21 pm ((PST))
                  >
                  > Newbie to the forum, but played Empire years ago. Recently purchase
                  > EDEE and back into it again, looking for a little competition. I
                  > checked the database, but looks like it's been a while since anyone
                  > updated.
                  >

                  > Messages in this topic (1)

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  -Matthew

                • Andrew Peiman
                  Message 8 of 23 , Nov 21, 2008
                    Still around but playing a lot with baby bottels and nappies :-)

                    Have a nice day,
                    Andrew.

                    To: empire-deluxe@ yahoogroups. com
                    From: mok@killerbeesoftwa re.com
                    Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 08:02:14 -0600

                    From what I have observed this group is traditionally very quiet. I do not take it as a sign of the health of the forum, and I can guarantee you a lot of people are paying the game...just not too many people wanting to discuss Paris Hilton and Price William here, though cruzan's opinions on that subject might prove interesting. ..

                    So why is this list dying? has everyone gone somewhere else to share Empire Q&A and get opponents?

                    steyrhahn

                    > Newbie to the forum, but played Empire years ago. Recently purchase
                    > EDEE and back into it again, looking for a little competition. I
                    > checked the database, but looks like it's been a while since anyone
                    > updated.
                    >

                    > Messages in this topic (1)

                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    -Matthew

                    Proud to be a PC? Show the world. Download the “I’m a PC” Messenger themepack now. Download now.

                  • merillian
                    Message 9 of 23 , Nov 21, 2008
                      --- In empire-deluxe@yahoogroups.com, "Randy.R" <steyrhahn@...> wrote:

                      > So why is this list dying? has everyone gone somewhere else to share
                      Empire Q&A and get opponents?

                      > steyrhahn

                    • Darrell Ray
                      Message 10 of 23 , Nov 21, 2008
                        Still around here, too.  Involved in a number of games already.  Write to me if you need another player though.

                        To: empire-deluxe@yahoogroups.com
                        From: andrew_peiman@...
                        Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 11:44:24 -0800

                        To: empire-deluxe@ yahoogroups. com
                        From: mok@killerbeesoftwa re.com
                        Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 08:02:14 -0600

                        From what I have observed this group is traditionally very quiet. I do not take it as a sign of the health of the forum, and I can guarantee you a lot of people are paying the game...just not too many people wanting to discuss Paris Hilton and Price William here, though cruzan's opinions on that subject might prove interesting. ..

                        Message 11 of 23 , Nov 21, 2008
                          Definitely, though I am only up for an EDIE game, not an EDEE game.

                          I never got into the newer version, though I know that many/most prefer it.

                          ===============================
                          Steven Woodcock
                          From the High, Snowy Mountains of Colorado

                          > Newbie to the forum, but played Empire years ago. Recently purchase
                          > EDEE and back into it again, looking for a little competition. I
                          > checked the database, but looks like it's been a while since anyone
                          > updated.

                          .

                        • Karawane
                          Message 12 of 23 , Nov 22, 2008
                            I am here, too, and happy to read your posts :-) I can also confirm
                            that people are still playing EDEE. I am involved in an (admittedly
                            very slow) PBEM game.

                            --- In empire-deluxe@yahoogroups.com, Darrell Ray <stinger1959@...> wrote:

                            > Still around here, too. Involved in a number of games already.
                            Write to me if you need another player though.

                            > To: empire-deluxe@...: andrew_peiman@...: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 11:44:24
                            -0800Subject: Re: [empire-deluxe] where is everyone on the empire list?

                            > Still around but playing a lot with baby bottels and nappies :-)
                            Have a nice day, Andrew.

                            > From: Randy Redhawk <rjr1095@...>To: empire-deluxe@...: Friday, 21
                            November, 2008 15:06:51Subject: RE: [empire-deluxe] where is everyone
                            on the empire list?

                            > I dont play empires anymore mostly because I do not have the new
                            version... wherever that is, However traditionally the last couple of
                            years this list does not become active except during the winter months
                            when people no longer have a place to play outside, usually the
                            snowbirds will start talking first, followed by the sun folks. Then
                            near summer it once again becomes inactive.

                            > To: empire-deluxe@ yahoogroups. comFrom: mok@killerbeesoftwa
                            re.comDate: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 08:02:14 -0600Subject: Re:
                            [empire-deluxe] where is everyone on the empire list?
                            > From what I have observed this group is traditionally very quiet. I
                            do not take it as a sign of the health of the forum, and I can
                            guarantee you a lot of people are paying the game...just not too many
                            people wanting to discuss Paris Hilton and Price William here, though
                            cruzan's opinions on that subject might prove interesting. ..

                            [empire-deluxe] Digest Number 920To: "empire-deluxe@ yahoogroups. com

                            PBEM game?> Posted by: "spratz86" spratz86@yahoo. com spratz86> Date:
                            Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:21 pm ((PST))>> Newbie to the forum, but played
                            Empire years ago. Recently purchase > EDEE and back into it again,
                            looking for a little competition. I > checked the database, but looks
                            like it's been a while since anyone > updated. >>>> Messages in this
                            topic (1)>>>>>> ------------ --------- --------- --------- ---------
                            --------- --------- --------- ->>> -- -Matthew

                            > Proud to be a PC? Show the world. Download the "I'm a PC" Messenger
                            themepack now. Download now.

                          • Randy.R
                            Message 13 of 23 , Nov 22, 2008
                               I just tried building a fortress for the first time. All the documentation says that a fortress has unlimited capacity. In fact, it appears that only 4 armor units can be placed in a Fortress. I don't see anyplace in the standard game interface where this is set.

                              Unmodified EDEE.

                              I know one can edit a unit db and change the characteristics of units, or even create new types of units, but I'm not into customizations.

                              thanks
                            • John Spirko
                              Message 14 of 23 , Nov 22, 2008
                                Correct–4 in the default Unit DB; so unless you want to modify it, that's what you get.

                                But try it out–making a simple mod like that is easy. But everyone you play must have the modded Unit DB.

                                Go into the Unit DB editor
                                Load the default Unit DB–it's the only file in directory HCDB,
                                select Transport Attributes, change Portage Capacity Value from 8 to whatever. The default of 8 is based on units that have a portage value of 2, like Armor, AA, HA, etcso that 4 units of Armor with a portage value of 2=8. Setting the Fortress Portage Capacity to 12 would allow 6.

                                Press the "Close" button when you've entered the value, then
                                press "Save and Close" button at the bottom Unit.

                                ***YOU MUST SAVE your MOD WITH A NEW NAME***
                                Menu–>data–> Save Unit DB AS (Note you're naming the directory)
                                Menu–>Program–>Exit

                                The caveat–if you boost the value too high, it will be very difficult to assault/capture and then the simplest way to take it out is a nuke.
                                  :-)

                                On 11/22/08, Randy.R <steyrhahn@...> wrote:

                                 I just tried building a fortress for the first time. All the documentation says that a fortress has unlimited capacity. In fact, it appears that only 4 armor units can be placed in a Fortress. I don't see anyplace in the standard game interface where this is set.

                                Unmodified EDEE.

                                I know one can edit a unit db and change the characteristics of units, or even create new types of units, but I'm not into customizations.

                              • Larry Smith
                                Message 15 of 23 , Nov 22, 2008
                                  I've played several games vs. DogKiller, quite a few back-and-forth battles.

                                  I've also modded the game a bit, making an all Anti-Aircraft/Radar Aegis destroyer, and an engineer built Radar installation.

                                  Anyone interested in a game give me a shout!

                                  <empire-deluxe@ yahoogroups. com>Date:

                                  Message 16 of 23 , Nov 23, 2008
                                    I should have done a search of this forum's archive's before posting. I see this discrepency has been reported previously.

                                    Question for players.. should a Fortress be unlimited capacity as the documentation states?

                                  • sonneborn9@aol.com
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Nov 23, 2008
                                      I would vote no.  The things are darn hard to defeat with an 8 stacking point limit.  More, and I think it tilts the balance of play too much in favor of the defense.

                                      David

                                      Message 18 of 23 , Nov 23, 2008
                                        My SpeedMod has it set to 12 and they are difficult to take.

                                        I will modify it next tweak session--keep the capacity at 12 but increase the drain rate from 1 to 2 or 3 to balance it out. Plus I've changed the Light Artillery unit -- Range Kill percentage VS Fort raised to 55% from 50%

                                        Then test it out and see if that seems to balance it out a bit.

                                        Message 19 of 23 , Nov 23, 2008
                                          foul!  You got to realize that the RD is affected, so those who decide to utilize fortresses lose production capacity.  Fortresses are an entrenchment for defensive purposes.  I think they are fine where they are.  I know you like blitzikrieg, but... there should be limits and this helps those limits.

                                          To: empire-deluxe@yahoogroups.com

                                          Message 20 of 23 , Nov 23, 2008
                                            Not foul - until it's tested there's no way to tell how it will balance. And I haven't tested it.

                                            Increasing the Light Artillery attack vs. Fortress 55% from 50 is a minor tweak–barely noticeable.

                                            There's lots of ways to make minor tweaks.

                                            A default Fortress with 4 units IS DIFFICULT to take, the SpeedMod with 6 even more so.  Add in that SpeedMod lets you build a fortress faster than in the default, etc.  I could just shift production time back to default or longer, etc. etc.

                                            Getting a good balance is a constant chore in a mod.

                                            To: empire-deluxe@yahoogroups.com

                                            Message 21 of 23 , Nov 23, 2008
                                              but doubling or tripling the drain rate... that was my objection I was crying foul over!

                                              To: empire-deluxe@yahoogroups.com

                                              Message 22 of 23 , Nov 23, 2008
                                                I created a few  small test scenarios so I could see how difficult it would be to destroy a fortress using the default game DB.

                                                The standard AI's fortress loaded with 4 Anti-Aircraft required a swarm attack by 11 bombers to defeat/destroy.

                                                A fort with 2-AA and 2-AR took a battleship 20 shots to destroy.

                                                Attacking an AI's Fort containing 4-AR with my transports loaded with AR, 12 of my AR were destroyed, and the 13th armor unit captured it with the armor being turned into an army, just like capturing a neutral city.

                                                The implications of the Fortress description: "attacking unit must first defeat the all the hosted units by Siege Attacks" wasn't apparent to me until I tried to take out a Fort with 4 bombers to neutralize the 4-AA in the Fort, then I nuked the Fort. The long range nuke had the same effect as a regular missile. ie: the nuke didn't destroy the fort and everything in it as it would do to a city. That Forts neutralize nukes wasn't apparent in the documentation.

                                                I wanted to see how many Light Artillery shots it would take to destroy a Fort with 4 tanks in it. So I built a scenario where my city with 30 LA in it was seperated by water from the AI's Fort (with 4-AR). It took 275 artillery shots. Thats really a high number of shots!!! One particular tank took over 20 hits before it was destroyed ( I don't have the exact number as the history file scrolled off). This looks like maybe a bug to me? Has anyone else experienced this?

                                                I took exactly the same scenario as above  and filled my nearby city with bombers instead of LA. The 7th bomber defeated the AI's Fort with the 4-AR in it.

                                                Message 23 of 23 , Nov 23, 2008
                                                  correction:

                                                  I have redone the secenario with the LN (long Range Nuclear Missile) and it does work as expected. Like all attacks in Empire, each attack is a role of the virtual dice, and when I first tested this must not have won the dice roll.

                                                  I created a few  small test scenarios so I could see how difficult it would be to destroy a fortress using the default game DB.

                                                  The standard AI's fortress loaded with 4 Anti-Aircraft required a swarm attack by 11 bombers to defeat/destroy.

                                                  A fort with 2-AA and 2-AR took a battleship 20 shots to destroy.

                                                  Attacking an AI's Fort containing 4-AR with my transports loaded with AR, 12 of my AR were destroyed, and the 13th armor unit captured it with the armor being turned into an army, just like capturing a neutral city.

                                                  The implications of the Fortress description: "attacking unit must first defeat the all the hosted units by Siege Attacks" wasn't apparent to me until I tried to take out a Fort with 4 bombers to neutralize the 4-AA in the Fort, then I nuked the Fort. The long range nuke had the same effect as a regular missile. ie: the nuke didn't destroy the fort and everything in it as it would do to a city. That Forts neutralize nukes wasn't apparent in the documentation. *not true on further testing*