Re: [empire-deluxe] Digest Number 888

  • Matthew Shelton
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 7, 2008
      Congratulations Mark! I, too, hope that the "RTS" was a typo; part of what makes
      Empire, Empire is the whole turn-based system. But a 3D-ification of the
      graphics system would (in my humble opinion) definitely extended the game's
      appeal to the younger generation who have been spoiled by the likes of MMORPGs
      and first-person shooters. Seeing the game out in stores again, hopefully packed
      with maps handpicked from the community, will surely bring a tear to my eye.

      Perhaps with the next version, we might even see spherical maps? Units with full
      360-degree precision of movement, unit locations reckoned by latitude &
      longitude in squares* (rounded off to the nearest tenth square for simplicity
      but calculated internally out to two or three decimal places). An interface like
      that of World Wind or Google Earth, colored blips of units on or near the
      surface, in glowing orbits circling the globe ... well, I should stop before I
      get carried away. <grin>

      As an aside, and I've never mentioned it before, but I've held a distant hope
      that the word "deluxe" could be dropped from the name. The original Empire has
      long since passed beyond the veil. Is there anyone who still plays the basic
      game without bombers, armor, airbases, terrain effects on combat, or city
      production efficiencies? So there is nothing for ED to be a "Deluxe" version of.
      As far as I'm concerned, EDEE is what Empire was always meant to be, and the
      original pre-ED Empire was an inferior version necessitated by contemporary
      limitations in computing technology.

      Again, congratulations Mark.

      --

      -Matthew
    • NLucier
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 17, 2008
        --- In empire-deluxe@yahoogroups.com, Matthew Shelton
        <matthiasfw@...> wrote:

        > > As an aside, and I've never mentioned it before, but I've held a
        distant hope
        > that the word "deluxe" could be dropped from the name. The original
        Empire has
        > long since passed beyond the veil. Is there anyone who still plays
        the basic
        > game without bombers, armor, airbases, terrain effects on combat,
        or city
        > production efficiencies?

        Actually, that is the only way I play the game and the reason that I
        haven't moved up to EDEE. I don't have any problems running ED, using
        standard and not advanced rules, under XP at all. I'm not sure what
        the issue is for everyone else, but it runs flawlessly for me without
        using any hacks at all. Literally install and run.

        As far as I'm concerned, the game was perfect at that point. But then
        again, I also played Empire when it was a text game on a mainframe at
        school.

        My father is also a 'play the game the way it was meant to be played'
        type, standard game, and literally plays at least one game every day.
        Even when he is ill or out of town, he has to get that one game in
        via a laptop. Been that way for over 2 decades now. I wonder what
        rank he's achieved in ED now. Now I have to check to satisfy my
        curiosity. I remember, when ED shipped, calculating how many games
        you'd have to win to achieve the highest ranking and thinking there's
        now way that could happen.

        I would be swayed to purchase the current EDEE version if I knew for
        certain that it would be able to run in Interstel Empire mode without
        me having to hack it to make it do so. Playing with AI files is
        hacking as far as I'm concerned. If the default installation does not
        include the options of playing the game how it was meant to be played
        way back when, then it fails my requirement. Can anyone confirm to me
        that I would be able to play the game like that without having to
        touch a file? I would love to contribute to the current code-owner.
      • rich12545
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 18, 2008
          It could be done but you would have to modify the unitdb and the
          script. And there is a learning curve to do that. That said, Killer
          Bee Software sells EDIE which is identical to the original ED but
          polished to be better plus it has internet play if you like that. It
          has the standard game that you could play without any hack. Imo, the
          ai is better than the original. You can download a demo at
          www.killerbeesoftware.com. That would give you the opportunity of
          upgrading your ED product and contributing to the current code-owner.

          Rich