Patrol Paths, Turns, and other

  • Larry Smith
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 9, 2007
      I've just discovered and aquired this latest addition to the ED legend.   I'm a veteran of the old VAX version and ED for Windows.

      I've got some questions that I wanted to submit to the group.

      1) I'm trying to figure out the new Patrol commands.  I'm aware of command points and that they pertain to one or more classes of units... is it the intention that each leg of a patrol be a command point, unrelated to a specific unit?  I'm also aware of the "old school" method of right clicking/shift clicking and have that working somewhat.  I've got them working from land bases but have not found a way to graphically show the patrol paths of fighters/bombers as the ED for Windows version did.   What that method is lacking, and which the prior interface _did_ have, is a very nice representation.  As many will recall it displayed the assigned patrol paths of each unit in red.  Made it easy to see where I'd lost fighters to combat and needed to replace my patrols.

      2) I cannot find a way to set up repeatable figher patrols from the deck of an aircraft carrier.  The commands I've seen so far are absolute map coords related, not relative to the A/C.  If anyone out there has a suggestion or procedure, I'm all ears!  A/C based Fighter Patrols are the eyes of the fleet.

      3) Turns generate and execute very quickly, especially the enemies movements and combat.  I've tried raising the delay values in the preferenced dialog to 500ms, but still haven't achived a reasonable delay.  Any suggestions as to what's a good value, or do these settings not work presently?

      4) I have a couple of requests for the suggestion box, forgive me if they've already been mentioned or shot down:
          a- Re-instate Escort as a right click/letter assigned command.
          b- In the "Build Road Path" command, give some way to serially click successive mappoints and capture each mouseclick into the dialog to relieve the back and forth motions of [click/submit/click/submit].

          Can I get a second/nomination from the floor on the suggestions above?

      I'm looking forward to joining an online game, though I'm back to nearly newbie with many of the new units.  Anyone looking to start up a long running network game feel free to reply.  Is it -a turn a day- or what is the standard remote game like...

      -Larry Smith

    • ticdoffus
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 9, 2007
        --- In empire-deluxe@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Smith" <larry.smith@...>
        wrote:

        i'll actually second some of your points, as for some reason
        i seem to be missing using those older commands recently... :(

        i do believe that they wont be coming back but i forget what
        was said during the beta testing as to why...(i'm feeble minded)

        network games are TRULY fun...i dont know about others
        games but mine ended up being short as i made too large
        of maps as it takes WAY too long to play.

        that in and of itself makes EDIE/EDEE 1000% more fun
        than ever before.....

        bigger maps/scenarios are better for PBEM's....and you
        can set time tables as often as you want or less often.

        cruzan

      • Andrew Platfoot
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 10, 2007
          Hi

          Didn't someone produce a key list for recreating these
          old commands?

          I think it is on one of the Killerbeesoftware.com mod
          sites?

          Actually a configurable right mouse button would be
          fun. Then you could add the commands you want.

          Cheers

        • rich12545
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 10, 2007
            Re item 3 - There are actually four different movement timers. One
            is for enemy movement. One is for unit movement from square to
            square, One is for the pause between units and one is iirc for the
            pause to start moving. There is no "correct" setting. 500 is half a
            second and you can change them all to whatever suits.

            --- In empire-deluxe@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Platfoot

            ______________
            > Sick of deleting your inbox? Yahoo!7 Mail has free unlimited
            storage.
            > http://au.docs.yahoo.com/mail/unlimitedstorage.html

          • Andrew Platfoot
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 10, 2007
              Hi

              With respect to point 4, I am not sure if the attached
              text file (I found it on MOK's site) is of any value
              you to you.

              Cheers

            • larry_smith_2222
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 10, 2007
                Just to cover all bases, I set them all at 1000ms (1 second) and there
                is no appreciable delay in any screen action. The pieces seem to move
                as fast as the screen can repaint.

                Anyone else run into this?

                -Larry

                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 10, 2007
                  Thanks for the info! I'll have to give it a try.

                  -Larry

                • sonneborn9@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 10, 2007
                    My friend, Steve has had the same problem, but I have not suffered from it.  I think it is because he runs a really fast dual core (newer) desktop, and mine is a near bare bone >4 years old 2.2 GHz.

                    David, Nancy, Max, and Mia